Question about Whole Foods

Options
Whole Foods isn't exactly known for their rock-bottom prices. I've heard every "whole paycheck" joke out there.

Most of the time when articles or individuals compare prices of products at Whole Foods and elsewhere, they don't do exact product comparisons--ie, they compare "conventionally-raised" poultry at one grocery store to "pasture-raised, organic," w/e poultry from WF.

I've been to a WF exactly once in my life, and that was four years ago to buy a prepared salad. My question is, how do their prices compare to other "health food" type groceries? I buy most of my meats and produce from a local food co-op, and typically pay $3 for a half-gallon of milk, $3 for a dozen eggs, and at least $7/lb for beef, for example. Potatoes there are $1.29/lb; I think cabbage is about $1/lb.

Are the prices similar at Whole Foods, or is it much higher? I'm curious, because I'm always looking for grocery stores closer to where I live and WF is more convenient than the co-op.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The milk, eggs and ground beef (assuming) are about the same price as the Whole Foods where I live at.

As far as the produce goes, it really all depends on what is in season as that is what Whole Foods really bases their prices on. I have gotten a thing of strawberries for $2 at Whole Foods, when they are in season. Out of season, yes the prices are WAY higher (almost $6 out of season).

I try to stick to in season produce, bulk bins, on sale meats, etc... when I go to Whole Foods. Doing it that way has helped keep my grocery bills down when I go there.
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I might check them out soon, though over the summer I'll probably be trying to get most of my produce from local markets.
  • MarisaShickel
    MarisaShickel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I switched over to Whole Foods due to a personal choice to try and eat more organic. At the time they were the only health food grocery store near us (I have to drive a half hour to get there!). We now have a Trader Joes but I like my Whole Foods.

Yes, WF is more expensive than traditional grocery stores, but they do have sales like any grocery store. Sometimes the strawberries are a great deal and you can get the 2 pound container for nearly the price of one. Avocados and mangos go on sale for $1 each at times when they're in season. On Fridays they have special deals, for example sometimes chicken is on sale for a few dollars off a pound.

They also have coupons! You can check them out online but they have fliers in the store. They've had one for a while off of an organic yogurt we use, $1 off!

One thing I never realized about WF is that while they are known for their organic foods, they also carry non-organic items. They have regular eggs, milk, cheese, bananas, etc and they're cheaper than the organic stuff.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    The easiest way is to just take your grocery list to WF and make notes on which items you can purchase at the same price or cheaper. I remember buying sliced cucumbers and some frozen chicken taquitos and the prices were a bit lower than my normal store. I don't live close to one or I might go more often but all you need to do is a quick walk through with normal grocery list. TBH my favorite part of the few times I went was the hot bar!
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    For produce and meat I go to Whole Foods because you can make more choices that are organic, friendly to the animals' lifetyles, etc. (They rate their meat on a scale of how much freedom the animals have, whether it was wild-caught, etc.) I have a CSA and as far as organic produce goes, the CSA and Whole Foods are comparable. (Check out the "Dirty Dozen" versus "Clean 15" list to check on foods worth buying organic, if you are interested in that.)

Mariano's is expanding throughout Chicagoland, and I love them, too. I go to the local cheap produce shop for lettuce for my bunny, though. He doesn't need organic!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Does whole foods sell any interesting flavors of Koolaid?