TDEE...I'm officially a believer.

Options
After a couple months of a 1200 calorie per day goal I decided to try eating at TDEE with a 20% deficit just to see if I noticed a difference. I increased my calories to 1489 Sunday of last week and made it a point to not weigh myself until the end of the week. I got on the scale Saturday morning and had lost 4 pounds!! I couldn't believe it. I said "this can't possibly be right, I've NEVER lost 4 pounds in one week". I got off and got back on with the same result. I know that I won't have the same loss every week but I am definitely a believer...TDEE it is!

Replies

• mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Well done! that's an amazing result :) Reading that makes me feel better about changing from the default MFP 1200 to TDEE-20% this past week as well.
    I weighed myself this morning and was 0.4kg lower, but I'm not sure yet if that is a permanent change in weight. I had my best workout in ages today, though-and lots more energy!
  • pholiday1108
    pholiday1108 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do I find my TDEE? I am new to this. Thanks.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    How do I find my TDEE? I am new to this. Thanks.

Type in "Scooby bmr" in Google and go to scoobys workshop. Put in your info and where it tells you your calories to maintain your current weight, that is your TDEE.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    TDEE is great if you do consistent exercisee...

Funny thing is TDEE-20% typically is te same as MFP NEAT for 1lb a week weight loss+ exercise calories.

Chances are ladies you had your weight loss goal set at 2lbs a week...????

Not that I am against eating more than 1200 calories go for it..you have a great chance of success...

pholiday TDEE can be esitmated on IIFYM.com or google Scooby tdee.
  • rainbowxelephant
    rainbowxelephant Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Google TDEE calculator
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
  • dynellthomas12
    dynellthomas12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well done! that's an amazing result :) Reading that makes me feel better about changing from the default MFP 1200 to TDEE-20% this past week as well.
    I weighed myself this morning and was 0.4kg lower, but I'm not sure yet if that is a permanent change in weight. I had my best workout in ages today, though-and lots more energy!

Thank you!
  • dynellthomas12
    Options
    I googled TDEE calculator and used IIFYM.com. Good luck ladies!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    After a couple months of a 1200 calorie per day goal I decided to try eating at TDEE with a 20% deficit just to see if I noticed a difference. I increased my calories to 1489 Sunday of last week and made it a point to not weigh myself until the end of the week. I got on the scale Saturday morning and had lost 4 pounds!! I couldn't believe it. I said "this can't possibly be right, I've NEVER lost 4 pounds in one week". I got off and got back on with the same result. I know that I won't have the same loss every week but I am definitely a believer...TDEE it is!
    Well done!
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    congrats you discovered the first law of thermodynamics
  • bwats33
    bwats33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Great job! I would just recommend caution since you've only gone a week. A single data point doesn't constitute a trend. I would give it at least a month before settling on a conclusion. Weight can fluctuate rapidly over the course of a week with little or no change in body fat %. The trend is what you want to focus on. Keep it up!!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Great job! I would just recommend caution since you've only gone a week. A single data point doesn't constitute a trend. I would give it at least a month before settling on a conclusion. Weight can fluctuate rapidly over the course of a week with little or no change in body fat %. The trend is what you want to focus on. Keep it up!!

I think you have chosen the right course of action OP but this poster is right, one datapoint over the course of one week is meaningless. Keep it up, see how you progress and if next week your weight goes back up don't freak out and change your plan...stick with it.
  • dynellthomas12
    Options
    Great advice guys, thank you!