workout during monthly period?

Options
Just wondering whether it is advisable to workout during monthly period? I usually get cramps and its bad on the first and last day.

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. You may even find that it helps with the cramps.
  • MMarcordes
    MMarcordes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Exercise actually helps with cramping, bloating, and headache - believe it or not.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    its good to work out during it..but i never feel like it
  • PJilly
    Options
    If I didn't work out every time I didn't feel like it, I'd work out very little. :tongue:
  • cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor so this is just my personal advise..If it is too painful or uncomfortable you probably shouldn't workout. Try walking a little.. that might be a little helpful.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Yep...go for it. It'll actually help the cramps.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else to go for it. I have found it really helps the cramping.
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i do...you may not want to (but what days do you honestly WANT to work out anyhow??!) for me it helps me ignore my cramps and not lounge and veg out all day.
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    ditto the girls that say it helps. although in my case, last night, i think it's bc my entire body hurt worse :laugh:
    still glad i went and didn't let my TOM hold me back from getting closer to my goal.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I still run, just not very happily, lol.

I try as much as possible to not let ANYTHING be an excuse for not working out unless it's not safe, ie: running after dark, icy conditions (I'll still run in the winter unless it's icy), legit medical reasons or injuries. ...otherwise, I'm out there.
  • PJilly
    Options
    I try as much as possible to not let ANYTHING be an excuse for not working out unless it's not safe ...
    I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. I also try as much as possible not to let my period be an excuse for anything.
  • qtwells82
    Options
    Ok, question here...am i the only one who is more energetic and motivated during TOM? Really it is strange lol. :huh:

So i guess my answer to you is Yeah go for it! I actually like to work out more and push myself more.
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If I didn't work out every time I didn't feel like it, I'd work out very little. :tongue:

Amen.
  • Katy213
    Options
    Ok, question here...am i the only one who is more energetic and motivated during TOM? Really it is strange lol. :huh:

So i guess my answer to you is Yeah go for it! I actually like to work out more and push myself more.

ER yeah, I think you probably are lol :smile:
    I absolutely agree with everyone who has said it helps relieve cramps etc, and altho I am often lethargic and want to curl up in bed, I do try to push myself to exercise!
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would definitely do it! When you exercise your body release some chemical that actually helps make cramps/pain go away. I was in a very pissy irritated mood and was having TERRIBLE cramps Tuesday, but forced myself to work out and I'll have you know my cramps and bad mood went away.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I exercise through the whole nasty experience. I am anemic so I supplement with Easy Iron during that time, but exercise helps eleviate cramps. Also, a nice dose of Motrin does too.
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    Exercise seems to help everyone's cramps, but me. It made mine worse. I try to still exercise sometimes during TOM, but it never helps me feel better? Not fair!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Exericsing at that time also helps to stop bloating, its worth doing it if you can, just so you don't see those extra lbs on the scale!
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Doing crunches before your period and during can help cut down on cramps a lot. I always work out during my period, but I don't have crippling cramps. Just find what works for you, you may find that working out can make you feel better!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My preferred exercise is swimming-- and there are times that even the thought of slipping into a chilly pool during the first day or so of really heavy flow just does NOT appeal to me, so I skip it. My real challenge during my period (and the 3 or 4 days of PMS beforehand) isn't lack of exercise, though-- it's the tendency to "overnurture" myself and give into my cravings for carbs carbs carbs and more carbs. If I make it through my PMS days and the first two days of my period without overeating, then I consider myself successful--even if I skip a workout or two.