new and water question

Options
Love the website so far, really easy to use. Question- does coffee and tea count towards the water goal?

Replies

• forbessw
    forbessw Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't count it since your body has to break down coffee and tea. I think. :)
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    not sure at all but i've seen some count tea....sometimes i count it sometimes i dont..hows that for consistency lol...depends on what kind of tea in my opinion..an herbal one i probably would
  • manleyzoo
    manleyzoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think so because of the caffeine. I don't count it anyway. You need good ole plain water. It took me along time to believe that, but you do. I am noticing that this time of eating right, yes there has been many times in the past, I am drinking the water and it is coming of easier. HTH Buddy me if you wish!!

Linda in IA
  • ariesldsgal
    ariesldsgal Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything but water toward my water goal. Main reasons, water is without calories, completely natural, and our bodies need it in it's purest form. So, for example, when I drink my hot chocolates (as I do every day), the hot chocolate gets listed under snacks and I don't adjust my water.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Some people disagree, but it's my understanding (after doing lots of reading from various sources) that water is water. Your body can use water whether it gets it from food (think watery fruits/veggies) or from beverages that have other ingredients. Some things can cause your body to get rid of extra water (has a dehydrating effect) - caffiene is one of these... HOWEVER you have to drink a good bit of caffiene (more than a cup or two of coffee) to have that effect. Your body even uses the water it gets from soda - but unfortunately all the other stuff that comes along with it (sugar, carbonation, etc.) aren't good for you.

I count everything I drink that is water-based as water (coffee, tea, water), but if it has calories I will log it as food, too.

A short article explaining the whole caffiene thing: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If a drink has caffeine, I don't count it toward my water totals. I agree with Sapphira that I'd count herbal teas, but that's me. I also count stuff like Crystal light in my water totals, but know some don't.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I don't count it, as with caffeine it is a diuretic. Which means it causes your kidneys to not absorb water in your body. That's why you pee more. If I drink coffee or tea, which I do almost everyday, I drink extra water to make up for what I am eliminating due to diuresis.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened tea and count that but I don't count my black coffee, I dunno, lol :)
  • anklesprain
    anklesprain Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, lots of support here, I think I'll need it!:bigsmile: