Help!! I can't lose weight no matter what I try

Options
I have been dieting and exercising for 7 weeks now. I have been doing exercise 4 - 5 times a week with a combination of Zumba, aerobics and swimming (60 lengths in 50 mins). I really put effort into my exercise and have been eating healthily too. Why can't I lose weight? I have had my thyroid checked and bloods and there is no medical problem. I am 46 and weigh 12 st 2 and am 5 ft 7 inches tall. I don't expect to look like a supermodel but it would be nice if all my efforts showed some results. No-one seems to have answers. Even at the gym the instructors are at a loss...

Replies

• dwbotti
    dwbotti Posts: 29
    Options
    There are many factors that would influence it, especially given your regimen. Send me a friend request and we can definitely talk.
  • DEPick
    DEPick Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    As to the reason you posted, I have absolutely no idea why. Are you re-apportioning the weight (measurements changing?)

But anyway, your commitment is motivating; you are absolutely kicking butt and have moved up my heroes list. I can only wish I was dedicated enough to work as hard as you
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Let's start with the basics:

Are you currently logging your food?

Would you be comfortable opening your diary for us?

How many calories are you eating?

How are you measuring your portion sizes? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups/spoons, or eyeballing your portion sizes?

Is there anything you aren't logging? Cheat days, condiments, etc?

Are you eating back any of your earned exercise calories?

If so, what method are you using to estimate your calories burned? MFP, gym machine estimates, or a heart rate monitor?
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Let's start with the basics:

Are you currently logging your food?

Would you be comfortable opening your diary for us?

How many calories are you eating?

How are you measuring your portion sizes? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups/spoons, or eyeballing your portion sizes?

Is there anything you aren't logging? Cheat days, condiments, etc?

Are you eating back any of your earned exercise calories?

If so, what method are you using to estimate your calories burned? MFP, gym machine estimates, or a heart rate monitor?

^^^ all of this

other common things people miss are cooking fats, alcohol, fruit and or veg, those little snacks ....

but if you're not losing and there's no medical cause, then it's most likely that you are over-estimating excersice and underestimating consumption - getting more accurate with both of these helped me
  • speeno
    speeno Posts: 55 Member
    Options

^^^ all of this

other common things people miss are cooking fats, alcohol, fruit and or veg, those little snacks ....

but if you're not losing and there's no medical cause, then it's most likely that you are over-estimating excersice and underestimating consumption - getting more accurate with both of these helped me

ALCOHOL....!! I didn't know I was allowed alcohol :happy: seriously though...log EVERYTHING.