Stuffed Peppers

Options
deannc1
deannc1 Posts: 91 Member
Hi All, I having been experimenting in my kitchen, trying to adapt old favs to lower cal/fat versions. I've come up with quite a few, but this is one my whole family enjoys.

1pkg Jennie O Sweet Italian Sausage (5 links per pkg)
4 large Red Bell Peppers (I hate green peppers)
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 can petite diced tomatoes (I use onion/garlic seasoned)
1 tbsp. olive oil
5 cloves garlic-minced
1 medium onion-chopped

Remove sausages from casing. Mix in a bowl with cooked rice. Set aside. Cut tops from peppers and scoop out seeds. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and submerge peppers for 3-5 minutes. Carefully remove and set aside. Heat oil in skillet. Add onions and garlic. Cook 2-3 minutes until softened. Add canned tomatoes. Simmer on low for 10 minutes. I usually grind the tomato mixture with a hand grinder because I like a smoother consistency-but if you like chunky leave it as it is. Add 4 tablespoons of the tomato sauce to the meat/rice and mix together. Add rest of tomato sauce to a baking dish. Fill each pepper with meat/rice. Stand upright in the baking dish. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for approx. 1 hour or until peppers are soft. Serve with your favorite hot vegetable or salad. Serves 4

Nutritional Info Per Pepper

Cals=351 Carbs=25 Fat=17 Protein=25 Sodium=1092 Sugar=9

Replies

• Skchers
    Skchers Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Sounds tasty ,I've never tried them with turkey sausage before. If I find it I'll post the one I have, or you can just go to Ally Vincent's live big with Ally and get the recipe I have. It uses quinoa instead of rice.:happy:
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Great idea, have never tried with turkey sausage! I will probably skip the submerging peppers in water...I always bake @350 for 1 hour and they come out perfect.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks....I LOVE stuffed peppers and with turkey sausage they sound even better!
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Would never have thought of using meat from turkey sausages! I have these bad boys in the oven right now. Unfortunately I only had Roma tomatos on hand and didn't trust the quality of the peppers I saw while food shopping today but I'm hoping they come out just as well.