Butter and Margarine

Options

Replies

• scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Butter! Made with milk from grassfed cows. Yum! It is higher in Omega-3s.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I would use real butter if I wasn't allergic to dairy. Since I am, I either use olive oil margarine, or coconut oil.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Butter! If not butter then coconut oil or olive oil.
  • Gwennie9476
    Gwennie9476 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Just for my 2 cents worth. Butter has maybe 3 ingredients...vs. a host to make the margarine. I would rather use butter because I know what those things are in there and how my body will respond to it. It is worth the few extra cents to get it and use it sparingly. Mostly however, I cook with olive oil and butter is a rare thing for me.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Margarine isn't actually food. Chemically, it is more similar to paint. And depending on your brand choice, it could have a whole host of synthetic ingredients.

Try putting that tub of margarine outside without a lid. Nothing is going to eat it. It isn't even going to grow mold. Even the flavor is artificial.

It is digested, absorbed and used by the body. This makes it actual food. Chemically, it isn't more similar to paint.

If I put a tub outside without a lid, it will be gone within a few hours because dogs, cats and many of the wild critters around here will destroy it.

That said, I don't like the taste of margarine and will never use it for that reason alone.

I never really understood the "it doesn't grow mold" argument against margarine. Maybe my family is the outlier on this, but we leave our butter in an open dish on the counter (not even a cover. It's led to some sad moments of utensils in the butter). Maybe we use it too quickly, but I'd say now we go through maybe a stick of butter every two weeks, sometimes it takes even longer. There has never been mold on my butter, throughout my entire life.

Also, if a tub of margarine fell on the floor, I'm pretty sure my dog would be just as quick to lap it up as butter.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    butter all the way

edited to include olive oil and coconut oils but never margarine
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have mild MS and it's opened my eyes to this debate and the wider debate about fats and oils which I think is decently explained here:

http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/Recovery-Program/Role-of-Fats-in-MS/Trans-fatty-Acids-and-Other-Altered-Fats/

Here it says:

As little as 5g a day of trans-fatty acids increases the risk of heart disease by 25%.1 There are likely to be similar effects on other degenerative diseases.

Trans-fatty acids are involved in a wide range of Western diseases such as cancer, heart disease and immune dysfunction. They make cell membranes even more rigid and dysfunctional than saturated fats and are to be avoided at all costs. This means margarine is out, and so are pies, biscuits, and particularly fast foods, like chips and so on. It is important to look carefully at labels.

Scary stuff.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I love butter.
    I hate margarine.

That is all.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'll take ghee over regular butter anyday. I can't even imagine having margarine in my house. Too plasticy.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of margarine, especially once it's been heated, so butter all the way.

If you don't mind the flavor and it saves a few bucks, find a transfat free brand and have at.
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Quote:

Also, if a tub of margarine fell on the floor, I'm pretty sure my dog would be just as quick to lap it up as butter.

[/quote]

I wouldn't say this is a good test if what's good to put in your body and what isn't! My dogs eat horse manure and stones!!
  • Sallyrose5994
    Options
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/study-questions-fat-and-heart-disease-link/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Here is an interesting and current article about fat and heart disease if anyone wants to read more. I try to follow the rule that the less processed a food is the better, so I go with butter. All of my lab work came back perfect at my last health screening (LDL, HDL, cholesterol and what not) and I eat a LOT of fat in my diet, from animal sources, dairy and nuts. I also exercise and am fairly young so there is that, but so far so good. It just bothers me that people are still afraid of eating fat. You NEED fat for a healthy brain and body.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Saturated fats are just fine. Here is a read on the differences between butter and margarine (which has to be modified to be a solid at room temp).

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/butter.htm
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    the title pulled me in...hell I can eat butter by the stick..tub whatever...DELISH!:noway:
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Quote:

[/quote]

I wouldn't say this is a good test if what's good to put in your body and what isn't! My dogs eat horse manure and stones!!
    [/quote]

LMAO!!! I think I just peed a little laughing so hard!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Saturated fats are just fine. Here is a read on the differences between butter and margarine (which has to be modified to be a solid at room temp).

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/butter.htm

Are we really supposed to take this article and Dr. seriously? A link at the bottom of the page (http://drlwilson.com/detox_protocols.htm) leads to a host of detox products including coffee enemas, juicing and genital baths.

Which margarine is this article talking about? There are many on the market that do not contain partially hydrogenated oils, and fully hydrodenated oils are not trans fats. Some contain butter mixed with oil, or palm oil, which is solid at room temperature.
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    I love butter, can't stand margarine. It tastes too much like plastic to me. :ohwell:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/study-questions-fat-and-heart-disease-link/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Here is an interesting and current article about fat and heart disease if anyone wants to read more. I try to follow the rule that the less processed a food is the better, so I go with butter. All of my lab work came back perfect at my last health screening (LDL, HDL, cholesterol and what not) and I eat a LOT of fat in my diet, from animal sources, dairy and nuts. I also exercise and am fairly young so there is that, but so far so good. It just bothers me that people are still afraid of eating fat. You NEED fat for a healthy brain and body.

Actually, that article isn't all that current. That study had to be republished due to errors and does not fair well with peer review.

http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2014/03/scientists-fix-errors-controversial-paper-about-saturated-fats
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Margarine tastes a bit plasticky to me. I think butter is delicious so I buy it.

I generally try to stay away from food substitutions. Margarine is a butter substitute as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have less of the real thing, than tons of a substitute which doesn't taste as good and which probably is loaded with chemicals to make it taste (kind of but not quite) like the real thing. Same applies to mayo, sour cream, bacon....insert long list here.

I'm not really bothered with the fats issue, though maybe I should be...trans or saturated, I can't bring myself to care.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I just threw 2 tbsp of Country Crock original in a pan, and sauteed some mushrooms, fresh baby spinach, and roma tomatoes. The taste is phenomenal! Almost night and day compared to using Olive oil. Man!

Dude, I grew up eating Country Crock...yuck.