Getting passed a plateau!

Options
I've been paleo for roughly two and a half months and the weight didn't start coming off for the first two weeks then started shedding off. I only started using Myfitnesspal the last week, but I have lost a total of 27 pounds, I'm 23 pounds shy of my goal and I think I have plateaued. I normally start my day with exercise, biking about 10-20 miles at about 17-18 mph proceeded by 12oz organic unsweetened almond milk, 1 scoop of paleo protein powder, 8 strawberries and 1 to 1 and a half tablespoons raw almond butter. Normally I go to work and my lunch will consist of some sort of meat and veggie with some fat such as avocado or olive oil and dinner if I'm hungry pretty much same thing as lunch. I'm good about not doing sweets other than the occasional slice of paleo banana bread and the rest ends up being eaten by family and co-workers. I've been pretty strict paleo and am not ready to stop losing weight. Any ideas on whether I need to eat more or less, exercise more or less?? I'd be thrilled to hear any contributions. Thanks

edit: Didn't realize forum didn't accept html entry.

Replies

• mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would have to know what you are doing as far as working out to help recommend anything.
    Without knowing that I would recommend stronglifts 5x5 (great phone app) It will blow you thru a plateau
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your food? Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE?

He are good sites to get started:

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I've been paleo for roughly two and a half months and the weight didn't start coming off for the first two weeks then started shedding off. I only started using Myfitnesspal the last week, but I have lost a total of 27 pounds, I'm 23 pounds shy of my goal and I think I have plateaued. I normally start my day with exercise, biking about 10-20 miles at about 17-18 mph proceeded by 12oz organic unsweetened almond milk, 1 scoop of paleo protein powder, 8 strawberries and 1 to 1 and a half tablespoons raw almond butter. Normally I go to work and my lunch will consist of some sort of meat and veggie with some fat such as avocado or olive oil and dinner if I'm hungry pretty much same thing as lunch. I'm good about not doing sweets other than the occasional slice of paleo banana bread and the rest ends up being eaten by family and co-workers. I've been pretty strict paleo and am not ready to stop losing weight. Any ideas on whether I need to eat more or less, exercise more or less?? I'd be thrilled to hear any contributions. Thanks

edit: Didn't realize forum didn't accept html entry.
    You can do paleo all you want, but if you don't eat at a deficit you will not lose weight.

My guess is wtat you've hit is not a plateau, but an inaccuracy of calories consumed and/or exercise calories burned. You also could be retaining water.

Do you weigh all solid food, log everything you eat? Do you eat your pxercise calories, and if so where do you get the estimates from?
  • Indiebd
    Indiebd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Everyday I'm riding my bike and I burn approx. 800 calories according to loseit and myfitnesspal, some days I do more (about 1200). In addition 3-4 days a week I do pushups, situps, kneeling one arm row, dumbbells, and dumbbell shrugs. Then the other 3-4 days of the week I go for a run later at night (more for marathon training). My breakfast is pretty consistently the same thing and is 346 calories. My lunch, was some chicken, avocado and an apple which is 752 calories and that was my entire day. I didn't get hungry at all the rest of the day.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Everyday I'm riding my bike and I burn approx. 800 calories according to loseit and myfitnesspal, some days I do more (about 1200). In addition 3-4 days a week I do pushups, situps, kneeling one arm row, dumbbells, and dumbbell shrugs. Then the other 3-4 days of the week I go for a run later at night (more for marathon training). My breakfast is pretty consistently the same thing and is 346 calories. My lunch, was some chicken, avocado and an apple which is 752 calories and that was my entire day. I didn't get hungry at all the rest of the day.
    So your a 21 year old male eating around 1000 -1200 calories. If you are actually eating that (which the majority of people who say that are in fact eating much more) you will lose weight you will also lose muscle and you will make yourself ill so I hope your health insurance is up to date.

If you want to lose weight healthily follow the link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You didn't answer the questions about weighing food, so I presume you do not.

MFP and Lose it exercise calories, as well as exercise calories from gym machines, are way over-estimated. Cut all those exercise calories in half, eat them back, weigh your food, log, and make sure you are within your calorie limit, you you will get "past a plateau." :smile:
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements? I am having similar results with paleo, and weight has not moved lower since 4-7. However, I am losing inches.