C25k

Options
So I am starting the couch to 5 k program on Monday (thanks for the gym being closed Friday afternoon through Sunday, ugh!) Anyhow was wondering if anyone had always hated running with a passion, but deep down I have a strong desire to love it. Is it better to run on a treadmill, on a tack, or outdoors? Any good podcast out there? Help me learn to love running!

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I did C25k last summer - prior to that, I always said I hated running and that I just wasn't a running person. I've since done two 5ks and am signed up for a 10k.. planning a half marathon in October 2011. I LOVE running now! C25k is a GREAT way to introduce running into your life. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you need - many people do, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I personally prefer running outdoors in a neighborhood or trail - it's not as boring than on the treadmill or a track. It also "feels" different running on a treadmill. I can run on a treadmill now, but it was harder at first because you have to run a consistent speed - outside you can speed up or slow down more easily when you need to. I was irritated by the C25K on the treadmill due to having to regularly switch between running and walking.

Lots of podcasts, as well as C25K apps if you have a smartphone. Do a google search for C25K podcasts and you'll find them. If you have a smartphone, search the apps for C25K. I used an app when I did it - it signaled when to run and when to walk.
  • scweegie
    Options
    Hey Good Luck! I loved this program, it really eases you into running! Just remember to not over do it.

Also as far as a good podcast, itunes has some couch to 5k programs that work with your music on an itouch and tells you when to walk and when to run.

Also I prefer to run outdoors, becuase you don't have to stare at the wall or tv, you are actually going somewhere. The treadmill is also a tad easier becuase it sets everything for you and you don't have to deal with changing a pace, stopping or starting and if you want you don't have to do any hills.

Congrats and good luck!
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I am also starting C25k on monday- although I am starting at week 3. I have been doing some similar workout programs but the one I started with jumps up to quickly for me. So I decided to start at week 3 with C25K since it matches up with where I am at on my other program.

I have been doing the running on a treadmill. Like accountant_boi said it is more difficult because it makes you run/walk at a constant speed, but for me thats a good thing. I find that if I'm not feeling very motivated I can "jog" slower then I walk which defeats the purpose. So for me, running on the treadmill is a good motivational tool. Plus I like being able to see how fast I am going.

I think once I get better at keeping a consistent pace I will move my runs to outdoors where there are hills and such, not to mention the nice scenery. In the meantime the treadmill is working good for me- especially with the cold.

Hope this helps and good luck!