Toes fall asleep during exercise

Options
Do anyone else have a problem where they are on a cardio machine or in a group exercise class and their toes fall asleep?

I am not sure if it is a poor circulation issue or something else..? any thoughts?

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Are your shoes tied too tight? Feet can swell during exercise so what might not be tight when they first go on might be too tight once you get started. That was my issue when I used to cycle a lot.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    try not tying your laces to tight. This happened to me every time, but I switched to Vibram 5 Fingers, and they don't fall asleep at all anymore.
  • RegainingMyself
    Options
    actually went out and purchased new shoes because I thought that might be the issue. Do you think feet could swell while working out then in turn making the shoes feel tighter causing the toes to fall asleep?
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Are your shoes too narrow on your feet? Sometimes mine cramp up if my shoes don't fit right.
  • RegainingMyself
    Options
    they are not tight or too narrow when I begin the workout..
  • RegainingMyself
    Options
    I think you nailed it! the feet are swelling and making the shoes tight, so do I get shoes that are to big or just loosen my laces a lot?
  • LBeth1015
    LBeth1015 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This happens to me on the elliptical. Only the elliptical though and as soon as I'm finished with it the circulation returns in about 30 seconds. Very strange and my shoes are not tight or too short either. Strange!
  • GhostriderMav
    GhostriderMav Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen several time to me. It is usually when I am on the elliptical when my feet push forward against the foot holds.
  • RegainingMyself
    Options
    This happens to me on the elliptical. Only the elliptical though and as soon as I'm finished with it the circulation returns in about 30 seconds. Very strange and my shoes are not tight or too short either. Strange!

its good to hear its not just me
  • RegainingMyself
    Options
    I have had this happen several time to me. It is usually when I am on the elliptical when my feet push forward against the foot holds.

When I push back into my heals sometimes it eases off. thanks for sharing that
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    actually went out and purchased new shoes because I thought that might be the issue. Do you think feet could swell while working out then in turn making the shoes feel tighter causing the toes to fall asleep?

yes! when i got fitted they actually told me get a shoe a size bigger. I went from a 7 to a 8.5. They said feet swell... so yup! Shoe size, and laces not too tight. Those were my fixes!
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    The balls of feet will burn,get numby like falling asleep all the way up into my toes. Especially with the elliptical and the bike ,there are a couple of nerve issues that cause this. One is similar to carpal tunnel in hands but of course its in feet the other is nueroma. It doesnt matter what shoes i wear. I even cut 5" foam and put it in foot holds and go barefoot thaf helped some but i got so miserable after 30-35 min i just gave it up. I can do anything that dosent involve that constant flexing motion and have no problems.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Yes. Keep your weight back on your heels, at least briefly. Lift your toes off of the ground/footrests completely from time to time.
  • RegainingMyself
    Options
    this is all so helpful., its funny you feel like you are the only one with these problems, glad for MFP right now