refueling during a run

Options
yesterday I started to notice I was running out of steam at around the 5 1/2 mile mark at a 10min/mile pace. I have a few sample GU gel I'm going to try today to see if it will keep me going. what do you guys suggest? I heard the GU gel is hard to swallow. I like the chomps but it seems lie i would have to eat like 3 or 4 of them. I just want to refuel once during a 10K. When I work my way up to a half I'll worry about refueling more. I also read about jelly beans, there are so many choices. I just want something that is quick and easy. I'll try out the GU gel tonight and see how it goes. thanks in advance for any help on this subject.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Running out of steam @ 5 1/2 miles has more to do with fitness level than with the need to refuel. Try running a little slower on your longer runs
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    today I'll back my pace down a bit.

but do you have any suggestion on refueling?
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I don't take on anything if I'm doing less than 2 hours so anything less than a half marathon I don't bother. On longer runs I refuel with cereal/protein bars because gels give me the most horrific stomach cramps ever. I find that normally dehydration is my real problem on the shorter runs and if I have some water or juice it perks me up again. Maybe an energy drink might be helpful?
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    hmmm, although I think my problem will be solved with just slowing down my pace but since we are on the topic of refueling, like gatorade during the run? even on a 10K i don't feel the need to drink since it's a short run (1 hour and change) I guess I'll worry about refueling when I do my first half marathon. thanks for the help.
  • Jollybeard
    Jollybeard Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb that I've read is that if you are out for more than 60-70 minutes, then you'll want to refuel some sort of carb. Your muscles are simply going to run out of glycogen by that point. For me, I mix a scoop of a powdered carb/electrolyte formula (Carbion, but most any brand will do) into water and then sip on that throughout the run. That should be enough to sustain you.

But I also agree with the other advice here that burning out at 5.5 miles might mean you need to slow the pace or include some 30-60 second walk breaks every so often.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different as far as when their reserve runs out. For me, right around 8-9 miles is when I start feeling horrible if I don't refuel.

That said, you'll have to try different things that work for you. Everyone is different as far as preferences and digestability (yes I just made that word up). With GUs and chomps/chews, etc, make sure you drink plenty of water with it. You can also try eating real food - that "special sports" foods aren't always what works for people. I've run and eaten tortillas, m&ms, gummy bears, tons of different things. See what works for you. Also you may want to try eating something a bit before you run, maybe an hour before, and see how you feel.

When it comes to pacing my refueling, for long runs (half marathons or longer), I start refueling at mile 3 or 4 and keep snacking on something every couple of miles. That's what works for me. You'll have to figure out what works for you.

As far as water goes, I don't tend to take water with me for runs less than 5-6 miles. You may require more water depending on how dehydrated you get. Again, this will mostly be trial and error. You don't have to take an electrolyte drink, you could take salt caps instead, but again, you'll need to see how much electrolyte you're losing (i.e. do you get that salty look to your skin at the end of your run, are you parched, etc) and see how much you need to replenish it.
  • lujako
    lujako Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I alternate between Gu and beans every 3 miles. I am moving at 12-13 min/mile pace.

I don't find it hard to use Gu other than the little packets are a bit messy. I bring a sandwich bag to hold the packets after using the Gu.

As far as slowing down will help not need fuel...if I was any slower, I'd be sitting so would not really need fuel :tongue:
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I haven't quite figured out the refueling thing yet. It's not even something I think about unless I am going to be running for longer than 90 minutes. If I am going to be doing a two hour run - then I definitely worry about something for refueling. Then I bring water and I bring some skratch labs mix (I drink that instead of gatorade - I can not STAND the taste of gatorade. Lol!). I like the honeystinger waffles. Gu is just... I have a hard time with the thick, syrupy texture. My hubs has been making his own mix of honey, molasses and salt. I am thinking I mmight try that at some point. I've tried protein bars, but I am not sold on using those for refueling. I do want to try the jelly bean thing!

www.skratchlabs.com
    http://www.honeystinger.com/organic-stinger-waffles/honey-organic-stinger-waffle.html
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    you guys are great. thanks for all the great advice. at least I know for now, i won't need to shell out money for GU packs for awhile. =) maybe I'll bring some gummy bears or something I can snack on. I have done the 10K already a few times last week and of course this week. but yesterday I had to actually walk. but then again i think it's my pace. 9:30 or so isn't sustainable for me yet. I'll back it down to 11 min/mile. but I know I can do that.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Sometimes some nice cold powerade hits the spot - go for the full sugar kind. The gels are much easier to swallow while running but you should still have something to drink with them.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I usually only refuel if I'm running for more than ten miles. I think I only tried the GU stuff during the few half marathons I've done, but I liked them. I sometimes also use the clif shot blocks
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    maybe I'll take one GU before I run, then that should do it until I get back to my car to drink water.
  • sherintn
    sherintn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like honey stingers. GU makes me wretch... just can't seem to get it down and not have a horrible taste in my mouth. If I am running for 2 hours or more I refuel every 45 min or so. I also like to drink NUNN on my runs so that I stay good and hydrated (especially now that it's getting hot and humid here in the south). I'd say that many of the seasoned runners don't usually need to refuel but as a slow runner I am on the race course for much longer. I need the kick to get me through. I also try a mix of healthy carbs/protein an hour and a half before a run. This helps to push longer. Good luck finding what works for you!
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to drink water with Gu, sport beans, clif shot bloks, etc. That said, I've sometimes not done so. But the purpose of those items is to be a substitute for a sports drink which is basically water + carbs + electrolytes.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    The only time I refuel is during full marathons. Other than that I can usually only stomach water. During marathons I take Honey Stingers gel. It's not tasty but it doesn't hurt my stomach. If regular gus don't work, try that one.

In any case, I often wonder how I got so fat in the first place when it now seems like everything hurts my stomach lol
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have always done jelly beans. For awhile I just bought the big jar of Jelly Belly beans at Costco and put some in a little ziploc baggie. You don't need special sport ones since it's really just the sugar you need. I have also bought the Jelly Belly sport beans in 100 calories pouches, though, mostly for half marathons. I run at about an 11 or 12 minute mile pace so for anything less than 5 miles, I don't usually bother with fuel. Farther than that and I'll pop a few jelly beans every half hour or so starting at around mile 3. As far as water during the run, I live in Tucson so I bring water on EVERY run. My throat gets really dry when it's single digit humidity. Even when drinking 10 ounces of water on an long hour run I'll lose 2 pounds or so during summer mornings.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents as someone running similar distances... what you ate for dinner the night before makes a huge difference. I felt like I had no fuel in my body running on a french fry dinner. I felt like a champion after a healthy and balanced protein/carb/veggie dinner. Maybe try adjusting the ratios of how how you are fueling pre-run and see if that helps!
  • ggluvbug1
    ggluvbug1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Running out of steam @ 5 1/2 miles has more to do with fitness level than with the need to refuel. Try running a little slower on your longer runs

I was given this advice before my 10K last week, and it made a huge difference. I felt like I was just completely out of steam around 4 miles. I slowed down for the race and made it all the way. I was surprised at the difference it made.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest reading the book "the new rules of marathon and half marathon nutrition" - it has a bunch of pointers including some historical data (as in: it didn't even use to be a practice to bring water to a marathon).
    His take was that whilst fuelling helps you perform better in a race, you don't always bring fuel on practice runs, so your body learns to deal with both, fuel and lack thereof...
    Personally, I've tried powerade, and it makes me too thirsty and nearly throw up at the same time, so I've decided to go the 'traditional' route and not fuel. Seen as I haven't run more than a half marathon distance, and am not racing, I figure those few seconds a kilometer may as well be...
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If it's a really long run, honey sticks or raisins work for me. Sometimes almonds. I don't need fancy "energy" bites or gummies to keep moving.