More Polar FT4 Problems: How did you fix it?

Options
I bought my first FT4 back in November. It worked fine and then it started acting up. It didn't read my heart rate properly. I sent it back to Amazon, and they gave me a new one.

This second one worked fine until about two weeks ago. I've been following all the maintenance instructions, with the exception of putting it in the wash. (I don't have a washer/dryer in my apartment and use a dry cleaning service.) And yet this one isn't reading my heart rate properly either.

I remember changing the batteries in the first one and the problem persisted. So I'm not sure changing the batteries in this one will make things better.

Has anyone else had problems with their FT4? What did you do to fix it?

Replies

• StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    You can try using electrode gel on the band instead of water, that might help?
  • dallasaggie10
    dallasaggie10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try getting a new chest strap. You can order off Amazon. For some reason, they only last a couple of months for me even after I rinsed it out after every use, and washed once a week. I was having the same problems it sounds like you are, and when I got a new strap everything was working fine again.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 which is very similar. I find the sensor / strap has to be very tight and a bit wet or sometimes it will lose my heart rate.

I have a really old polar heart monitor, maybe 10 years old. The chest strap takes no batteries and it still works fine. It never has an issues and I use it when on a cardio machine. However, some reason the old strap won't work with the FT7 / FT4 model of watch. I only bought the FT7 because my old watch broke and I prefer to run outside.

It seems the new straps are not quit as good or robust as the old ones. The gel might work. Mine works most of the time if tight, decent battery, and wet it a bit before starting.