New to MFP ( former WW client)

Options
I am a former WW client. I did lose 20 lbs in a month then it just STOPPED. I lost all motivation including going to the gym 3 - 4 times a week. I stopped putting my daily consumption of food. That was my 2nd time joining WW. The first time I lost 40 lbs and gained it all back plus more.Once again it hit that plateau that I HATE so much. This time I hope it will be different.

My husband is doing this program with me. He needs to maintain and I need to lose...Is it possible? His circumstance is different....he had cancer of the tonsils and lost 82 pounds because he couldn't swallow ( I think I gained some of that from stress eating) He needs to maintain his weight for at least a month so he can have the feeding tube removed from his stomach. He has slowly started eating " real foods". I am so proud of his accomplishments.

I have over 100 lbs to lose. I need motivation. I know the only person who can do this is ME. I do well for a short period of time then I just give up on myself. I am not a fan of plateau. How can I change that? What can I do ( that won't kill me). I am 53 yrs old and over weight. I have a bad back and bad knees ( I know it is because I am over weight) Any support from this program or any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time

Jeanne

Replies

• Catnaper260
    Catnaper260 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Jeanne. you can do this. I am going to be 52 years old and can offer you friendship and support in your journey. I have done WW in the past, and I have been away from MFP for about close to year. Regained some of the weight back (my bad) . Sending you a friend request.. : )
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You will find so much support here....and ask any question and someone should have an answer. The logging is easy and works great with a smartphone.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    feel free to friend me but please read my profile first

i wish you and you and your husband well
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Hi, Jeanne-

Welcome to MFP. I'm 59 and have lost about 50 lbs in 6 months.
    Lots of support here. Start slow and be patient. My back, knees, hips hurt so much when I first started but the more you lose the less your pain!!! Isn't that motivation enough?
    I think logging every day and viewing success stories has kept me on track.
    I've found that being healthy is addictive! (I've registered for my first 5K in September!)
    So, roll up your sleeves and get busy! Time to get healthy!
  • jeannebowman97
    Options
    Thanks to all of you!! I am having a problem eating all the calories they suggest. I am down 700 calories a day and my sodium is out of the ballpark. Any ideas?
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you!! I am having a problem eating all the calories they suggest. I am down 700 calories a day and my sodium is out of the ballpark. Any ideas?

Can we please see your food diary?
  • ChangMiike
    Options
    Hey Jeanne! ! Good luch with your fitness goals i know you will accomplish them all !

Mike
  • jeannebowman97
    Options
    Shropshire195 I am not sure how to share that info.
  • jeannebowman97
    Options
    Everyday day I keep trying to eat the right things and do the right things. Yesterday I ate a stupid Kit Kat bar ( a large one) I needed chocolate ( due to stress at work) BAD EXCUSE!! There is NO reason for me to do that. I NEED to get more control.
  • anniep1991
    Options
    Welcome Jeanne,

You have taken the first step :-) i have been on every diet imaginable including WW and slimming world. But they do not teach you anything about food really. I would advise you to take up yoga, I do it weekly along with other intense work outs but I feel that it really does work your core but in a gentler way. Also most yoga instructors can accommodate people with bad muscles/joints, when I first started I had a bad ankle and knee which were weight related and she helped me through it. Also if there is an aqua tone/aqua aerobics class near you I would go for it because it's a good work out and is easier on your body because you're in the water.

Good luck x
  • secwife47
    secwife47 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ive found that after it hits my mouth, it gets logged in. That way I can see what im eating. I think you are eating to few calories. You need to fuel your body. I also need to lose 100 pounds or more. Ive lost 30 in 3 months. When I think back on what I was eating its no wonder im so fat! I do snack a lot during the day. But good stuff, I don't work so I have time to cut up fruit and vegies. Any low calorie snack are bagged into proportions that I should eat. I know most people don't have time to do that. But its worth it to me in the long run. I also eat Skinny Cow ice cream and Vegie Straws for snack. I know me and if I don't have some pleasures I will give up. Im sure that most people would think my way isn't the best. But it works for me. You need to find what works for you. I also found an old exercise bike at a thrift store for 5 bucks! I ride 3 miles or more a day. My husband and I WII bowl every night. Good luck you can do this. Add me if you like.
  • AngieOrangy
    AngieOrangy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Welcome Hun!
    I also have tried WW in the past. I lost some weight, but also got discouraged and stopped. It seems WW is not a reliable form of long-term change; because, it is based on their points system. And as you know, if you don't have a WW account, you can't check how many points are in every food on the planet (unless it's on the back of the box, not every box).
    I work in the Oncology setting, and I have witnessed caretakers putting their health aside for their loved ones. It is natural response and honestly- you are a better person for being his support system through it all.
    Welcome again. I am on and off again. Trying my best the majority of the time. HOWEVER, I wish you success in your journey here! :)