How's this for a post workout shake?

Options
1 Scoop Gold Standard Whey - 120 kcal,24g protein,6g carbs,1g sugar

Fat Free Milk (8oz) - 90 kcal,9g protein,13g carbs, 12g sugar

Banana (55g) - 51 kcal, 1g protein,11g carbs, 7g sugar

Dextrose (38g) - 143 kcal, 0g protein,68g carbs, 58g sugar

Total: 404 kcal, 34g protein, 68g carbs, 58g sugar

I'm a 5ft 11in 35 year old male weighing 142 lbs and lifting 3 times a week and clean bulking (just started).
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Whats the rest of your day looking like?
    I reckon you can afford to increase the cals in that shake. Change the fat free to whole milk. Add in some carbs that are non sugar (scoop of porridge oats? )
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think a banana is more like 25 g of carbs.

I would cut the dextrose and replace with greens like kale or spinach and something like a couple TBSP of flax or chia seeds.

Fat free milk to whole milk or even better coconut milk

I'd also add some cocoa powder and berries for a micronutrient boost
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'd rather save 404 calories towards a meal! Just saying! Lol
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

He's going for bulk.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options

He's going for bulk.

Ahhhh.. Makes sense!
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    1 Scoop Gold Standard Whey - 120 kcal,24g protein,6g carbs,1g sugar

Fat Free Milk (8oz) - 90 kcal,9g protein,13g carbs, 12g sugar

Banana (55g) - 51 kcal, 1g protein,11g carbs, 7g sugar

Dextrose (38g) - 143 kcal, 0g protein,68g carbs, 58g sugar

Total: 404 kcal, 34g protein, 68g carbs, 58g sugar

I'm a 5ft 11in 35 year old male weighing 142 lbs and lifting 3 times a week and clean bulking (just started).
    Thanks in advance!

What's your calculated TDEE? What have you targeted as your clean bulk calories/macros? Unfortunately this means nothing without knowing what the rest of your daily cals and macros look like. Meal timing doesn't matter. Hitting your targets is the most important.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Clean bulking? what's that?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Clean bulking? what's that?

I would like to know too ...
  • bryant28408
    bryant28408 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a post-workout shake too...but its really more of a tremor!:laugh:
  • kliffoth
    kliffoth Posts: 29
    Options
    My TDEE is 2357. I eat 2607kcals a day. As for the carbs in the banana I usually have half of one.

I weigh it out.

My macros are 177g protein, 63g fat, and the rest carbs. I make sure to hit them everyday.

Is the dextrose really beneficial. I've read up on it and it seems to be quite helpful.

I have no problem attaining my calories each day by eating healthy.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2357. I eat 2607kcals a day. As for the carbs in the banana I usually have half of one.

I weigh it out.

My macros are 177g protein, 63g fat, and the rest carbs. I make sure to hit them everyday.

Is the dextrose really beneficial. I've read up on it and it seems to be quite helpful.

Dextrose is fine both post and pre-workout but don't expect some magical insulin spike that will put on muscle. It's an easily digestible carb source and and an easy way to add calories. You could easily drop the dextrose and replace those carbs with anyother carb souse such as the other 1/2 of the banana or even oats.
  • kliffoth
    Options

Dextrose is fine both post and pre-workout but don't expect some magical insulin spike that will put on muscle. It's an easily digestible carb source and and an easy way to add calories. You could easily drop the dextrose and replace those carbs with anyother carb souse such as the other 1/2 of the banana or even oats.

I have been adding oats. I was wondering if it was better to do dextrose instead.

Any other suggestions are also welcome.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

I weigh it out.

I agree on the dextrose. It's a cheap, easy way to add carbs and that's it. Anything you've read on it is just industry BS to try to increase sales (speed of absorption, insulin response etc). Chucking the dextrose and adding other carb only sources won't hinder any progress or gains, and you'll still stay within you macros.

As for your estimated TDEE and current intake, popular belief would say if you are consuming 250cals over then you will slowly bulk (.5lbs+/week). What you may have to account for though is any increase in daily activity. Eating more will give you more energy, and if you are more active because of that, your increased activity will increase your TDEE - you may in fact need to increase your caloric intake to gain weight and create more of a surplus. No calculator can do this for you, it's just trial and error.

Also, how many times a week do you train? What does your training program look like? Hypertrophy vs strength? While adding calories will result in bulk, if your training isn't optimal your strength gains will lack. Again, you may need to eat more to train harder and heavier, which will result in increased strength (improved CNS response, increased muscle glycogen, increased muscle fiber recruitment, increased muscle etc.)
  • kliffoth
    Options

I agree on the dextrose. It's a cheap, easy way to add carbs and that's it. Anything you've read on it is just industry BS to try to increase sales (speed of absorption, insulin response etc). Chucking the dextrose and adding other carb only sources won't hinder any progress or gains, and you'll still stay within you macros.

As for your estimated TDEE and current intake, popular belief would say if you are consuming 250cals over then you will slowly bulk (.5lbs+/week). What you may have to account for though is any increase in daily activity. Eating more will give you more energy, and if you are more active because of that, your increased activity will increase your TDEE - you may in fact need to increase your caloric intake to gain weight and create more of a surplus. No calculator can do this for you, it's just trial and error.

Also, how many times a week do you train? What does your training program look like? Hypertrophy vs strength? While adding calories will result in bulk, if your training isn't optimal your strength gains will lack. Again, you may need to eat more to train harder and heavier, which will result in increased strength (improved CNS response, increased muscle glycogen, increased muscle fiber recruitment, increased muscle etc.)

I use the Libra app and weigh myself everyday to keep track of my caloric surplus. I average between a daily surplus of 250-300kcals. I seem to have that pretty much good.

I just started training 3 times a week a couple of weeks ago. I'm going for strength. Not rushing, not trying to get huge, just want to feel better, stronger, and have a sense of improvement. I have strong legs but have always had a weak upper body.

Just yesterday I started this (http://produmbbellworkouts.com/dumbbell-routines/full-body-high-volume/) routine. I train at home and have a bench and adjustable dumbbells. I want to work up to 6 days a week but feel starting with that would be pushing it. I figure I'll stick with the above routine for a month or two and then switch it up.

You guys have been very helpful so far, thanks.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, ditch the dextrose, eat the whole banana, and throw in some oats if you can tolerate the added 'texture'. Or, skip the shake altogether. 177g protein/2600cals is very achievable with no supps.
  • kliffoth
    Options
    I agree with the others, ditch the dextrose, eat the whole banana, and throw in some oats if you can tolerate the added 'texture'. Or, skip the shake altogether. 177g protein/2600cals is very achievable with no supps.

I actually love the oat texture. My Ninja blender owns oats!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I have been adding oats. I was wondering if it was better to do dextrose instead.

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

The only reason I can see for picking dextrose over oats is if you had another intense workout following the first (say, a big run following a weightlifting routine). Otherwise, I wouldn't sweat it. Put whatever carbs you want in there. I like oats myself, adds some meat to the shake, so to speak. You'll get some decent fiber from it too and some extra protein if you need it.
  • atipsycherry
    Options
    you boys and your bulk. not saying I don't love it, but it's pretty cute. Like women talking about shoes. Other women not me, I don't wear shoes.
  • kliffoth
    Options
    Not really trying to get BIG. I weigh 140 at 5ft 11in and have been literally starving myself the past 6 months or so. 45 mins of aerobics every day, net 1100 calories a day when my maintenance is 2300. The only reason why my legs are muscular is I was spending 5+ hours furiously stepping on a 12in step every week and spending my entire one weekly day off walking around. My upper body is feeble and I want to put on weight, but gradually, and mostly muscle. No point in losing all that weight (down from 225), treating my body like crap by starving, only to get fat again.

Not trying to get huge, trying to get strong, not because I want to look hot. My wife thinks I do already (silly girl!). Just want to look good, feel good, feel strong, and know that I'm improving myself and probably living longer as a result.