Veggies for breakfast?

Options
Hey, long time no see.

I was hoping for some recommendations. I've started eating about 6 oz of nonfat plain Greek yogurt topped with a bit of fruit for breakfast since it's easy to grab and go with my hectic lifestyle.

I want to add a veggie and a grain. The latter is easier in the form of wheat germ or something, but what about the veggie? I guess I'm just used to breakfast being sweetish or fruity, so nothing sounds right. I'm looking for something that's:

- nutrient-dense
- a small quantity for 25 calories (since I'm trying to fit all this in a recycled Starbucks parfait cup thing)
- high in protein, low in carb
- widely available at the average US supermarket (e.g. Safeway)

Cucumber with strawberries was the only thing I could think of, but cucumber totally doesn't fit that profile. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Does it need to fit with the yoghurt? Could you munch on some broccoli out of a bag or something?

Mixing veggies with yoghurt sounds unpalatable to me.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    No mixing veggies with yogurt---does not sound appealing at all!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there is no vegetable I'd mix with yogurt and fruit.

If I was utterly forced to, I might choose sweet potatoes or (roasted) carrots. Neither is high in protein, but then again, what vegetable is?

I regularly eat vegetables at breakfast but it's usually greens or sweet potatoes and normally topped with an egg. I also love black bean and avocado salsa with egg.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't need to go into the yogurt, I'd suggest sugar snap peas. Crisp, slightly sweet, and sold pre-washed and ready to eat by several companies. They're also uber abundant in the early spring farmer's markets, so buy a bunch, wash, de string and you're set for a week.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    How about avocado? Or cucumber slices and dill mixed into plain greek yogurt?
  • Ashaleet
    Ashaleet Posts: 59
    Options
    If you want to add some grains and fiber put a 1/4 cup fiber one original bran cereal on top. Gives it some crunch too. I like having 6oz plain fat free greek yogurt with 6 oz blackberries, 15 grams of almonds and 1/4 cup cereal.
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to blend, you could do a green smoothie with your yogurt, some milk/ice/almond milk, fruit and greens. Still sweet!
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options

- nutrient-dense
    - a small quantity for 25 calories (since I'm trying to fit all this in a recycled Starbucks parfait cup thing)
    - high in protein, low in carb
    - widely available at the average US supermarket (e.g. Safeway)

Sounds like nuts to me. I don't know any veg that fits that profile. I'd go with almonds, pistachios, cashews, macadamias......
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options

Neither is high in protein, but then again, what vegetable is?

Actually, calorie for calorie broccoli has more protein than beef. However that's a lot of broccoli.

Personally I would have the veggies separate from the yogurt and stick with green ones. Snap peas are my favorite.