Shin Splints Help!

Options
So part of my workout, actually the big part of my workout is walking to work about 4x a week and it's a little less than 2 miles there and back, I've also started hiking with my friends for the past 3 Mondays. For about a week now I've had shin splints on my right leg & it acts up when I'm home and when I'm walking to my job. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen or know how to help ease the soreness? I'm currently icing it

Any help is appreciate!

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    RICE: Rest, ice, compress, elevate. I wrap my shin where I have pain during the day, and it tends to help. Shin splints can mean you're overdoing it; don't push yourself too hard! You have to start from the bottom and work your way up.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Rest until they are better or you will make them worse!!!
  • LoveDanceSing
    LoveDanceSing Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It feels fine when I'm on a walk, maybe I am over doing it
  • earlybrd7
    earlybrd7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had this the other day, I just took a rest day with no exercise and it helped me recover... maybe you should take it easy until you feel better?
  • serendipitys1003
    serendipitys1003 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with the same problem... You're supposed to rest rest rest, and ice but I have a race Sunday.

I have been massaging the bottom of my foot with a golf ball (where the tendons run down through your leg), and I bought some DrScholl's Inserts for "active" that said they help ease the pain. Using them for the first time tonight.

Good luck! And hope you feel better
  • melr01
    melr01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely rest or they won't heal. Also check to make sure your shoes are in good shape. If you aren't then buy new ones as it will make a huge difference. Make sure you stretch as well before your hikes. If you aren't sure how ask Mr. Google. :) I hope you feel better soon!!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are a sign of weak glutes. Do your squats.
  • drums0203
    Options
    You can research this yourself but I can tell you Calf Compression Sleeves made ALL the difference in the world!!!! Shin Splints sidelined my efforts a few years back and as I started this year, they flared up again but the Sleeves have definitely worked for me!!! I use CEP but I have heard good things about 2XU as well