Yoga After Run, or Run After Yoga ?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine that it would matter a whole lot unless you were doing a really intense style of yoga.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Interesting to me that most seem to be suggesting running first, then using yoga for a good stretch afterwards. I am surprised. I am pretty spent after a good run. I am not sure I could concentrate or hold poses the way I would like after a run.
    I would do the yoga first.
    I get the idea that stretching following exercise is a good practice. But I think the important thing is just that you stretch, and that you stretch regularly, not when you do it. I doubt that it is super critical to get a stretch in immediately following every bout of physical activity. Next day. First. Whatever. It adds up the same.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I like to do a series of sun salutations before running. Helps wake up my body and my joints. It also helps me pace my breathing, which is important in running. After my run...and I don't run a whole lot 2-4 miles...I like to do some arm balances and then some nice hip stretches.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this series of stretches before my runs and I think they have been helpful.
    http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/perfect-pre-race-warmup-under-5-minutes

I enjoy doing hatha yoga after running.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Interesting to me that most seem to be suggesting running first, then using yoga for a good stretch afterwards. I am surprised. I am pretty spent after a good run. I am not sure I could concentrate or hold poses the way I would like after a run.
    I would do the yoga first.
    I get the idea that stretching following exercise is a good practice. But I think the important thing is just that you stretch, and that you stretch regularly, not when you do it. I doubt that it is super critical to get a stretch in immediately following every bout of physical activity. Next day. First. Whatever. It adds up the same.

I am pretty spent after my runs so I take my shower first then stretch.