Strange question about caloric deficits

Options
I've more than likely over simplified this, and I'm sure it's probably not ideal, safe, healthy, etc. But humour me.

IN THEORY, could you lose 1 lb per day by burning 4700 calories, and still eating the 1200 calories? Everything I've read says it's unhealthy to eat below 1200 calories for women, so what if you're still eating the 1200 calories, but burning way more? Not that there's enough time in the day to burn that many calories, (le sigh) but I can dream, can't I?

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but you'd be losing a lot more than just fat at that deficit. There's a limit to how many calories your body can get from each pound of fat per day -- iirc it's just over 30 cal/pound/day.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You're right, it is unhealthy thinking. You body needs more than that to function on, especially with calorie burns like that (which I'm pretty sure your body would give out before accomplishing). You'd probably end up in the hospital before long for malnourishment.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to NET under 1200 cals. So if you eat 1200 and burn 4700 or whatever, you need to eat the exercised cals back.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Does a car run when it doesn't have any petrol?

You should be eating 1200 calories at a minimum. If you exercise and your "net" (cals eaten - cals exercised) goes below 1200, you need to eat enough to bring it back to 1200.

You don't just burn calories exercising, you burn them merely being alive. And if you don't eat enough fuel to maintain those vital functions, they slow down, stop being efficient and, in extreme cases, stop.

If you exercise off all the calories you eat, you leave nothing to fuel breathing, heart beating, healing, vital organ function, growing, digesting, regeneration of cells, brain functions...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    curious how one would burn 4700 calories in one day??????
  • ndj1979
    Options
    so you would be negative 3500 for the day? in theory yes that is one pound loss so it should work ….although you are going to burn through a lot of muscle mass doing that ...
  • Nov3mberMistt
    Nov3mberMistt Posts: 25 Member
    Options

You should be eating 1200 calories at a minimum. If you exercise and your "net" (cals eaten - cals exercised) goes below 1200, you need to eat enough to bring it back to 1200.

You don't just burn calories exercising, you burn them merely being alive. And if you don't eat enough fuel to maintain those vital functions, they slow down, stop being efficient and, in extreme cases, stop.

If you exercise off all the calories you eat, you leave nothing to fuel breathing, heart beating, healing, vital organ function, growing, digesting, regeneration of cells, brain functions...

That's not entirely true. You would still be able to pull energy from the fat stores on your body. The ones you're trying to deplete. I think, at that point, you'd basically be eating more for the non-caloric nutrients and minerals in food. Vitamins, minerals, that sort of thing, and relying on extra body fat to supply the energy for basic functions.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

That's not entirely true. You would still be able to pull energy from the fat stores on your body. The ones you're trying to deplete. I think, at that point, you'd basically be eating more for the non-caloric nutrients and minerals in food. Vitamins, minerals, that sort of thing, and relying on extra body fat to supply the energy for basic functions.

True, I oversimplified. Your body will pull all that energy but it will be no better than blanket starvation and you will lose muscle mass etc etc.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Mini trampoline. .. I keed I keed.

Okay, you would never want to do that. Because this isn't about losing weight, right? Technically, this is about losing fat. And to achieve this, you have to do it at a reasonable pace. You can lose weight as fast as you want but you're probably not going like the end results as much racing
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Think about whether your weight or your body fat% is your real goal...

Also consider that if you are losing "weight" just as a number, many of the pounds you will drop with that kind of eating will be from muscle and possibly other tissue, not just fat.

Think about your health and how many more calories you could be burning with healthy muscles.

Aaannnd while, yes, in theory, the number will go down, consider the cost and if the loss of muscle and health and energy and bone mass and hair is worth it to you. I guess for some people it might be, but there are a lot of good reasons to be patient and lose weight the slower, healthier way.

It might be good to keep in mind that people who lose weight more slowly are more likely to develop the habits to keep the weight off in the long term and not send their bodies into shock.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

True, I oversimplified. Your body will pull all that energy but it will be no better than blanket starvation and you will lose muscle mass etc etc.

I think the blanket starvation would be easier than trying to burn 4700 cals on only 1200 cals of input.

And actually the only way to lose 1 pound of weight consistently has be discussed and is against Galactic Law.
    img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=17396646
  • ndj1979
    Options

Mini trampoline. .. I keed I keed.

Okay, you would never want to do that. Because this isn't about losing weight, right? Technically, this is about losing fat. And to achieve this, you have to do it at a reasonable pace. You can lose weight as fast as you want but you're probably not going like the end results as much racing

i guess the mini tramp would do it ….
  • Nov3mberMistt
    Options

See, not sure if that's necessarily true either. You'd still be getting non-caloric nutrients, and you'd even still be getting protein, fat, and carbohydrates - the part of the meal that supplies energy. Muscle mass would most likely decrease, that's true, but I don't think it would be quite the same as blanket starvation. Because with blanket starvation you're not getting any nutrients or outside energy at all, and the flip side of starvation would be consuming nothing but straight glucose. Possible, but not a good idea, because you would be malnourished. You wouldn't be getting any vitamins or minerals, but you would have the necessary energy to survive. It'd be more similar to trying to subsist off body fat and vitamin/mineral supplements. Maybe some amino acid supplements (are those a thing? they seem like they'd be a thing).

Again, this is all theoretical. I'm so not trying to do this, XD I'm not completely insane, :p
  • Nov3mberMistt
    Options

Also consider that if you are losing "weight" just as a number, many of the pounds you will drop with that kind of eating will be from muscle and possibly other tissue, not just fat.

Think about your health and how many more calories you could be burning with healthy muscles.

Aaannnd while, yes, in theory, the number will go down, consider the cost and if the loss of muscle and health and energy and bone mass and hair is worth it to you. I guess for some people it might be, but there are a lot of good reasons to be patient and lose weight the slower, healthier way.

It might be good to keep in mind that people who lose weight more slowly are more likely to develop the habits to keep the weight off in the long term and not send their bodies into shock.

I appreciate the concern, but as I've stated, this is purely theoretical. I'm not looking at it in a serious manner, just a "wonder if it's possible" kind of manner. It would be an interesting experiment, I think, but not one I'm interesting in running on myself.

Also, the idea was more along the lines of still getting the nutrition of eating, just not getting all the energy. Relying on the fat stores for the energy, but still getting necessary non-caloric nutrition, which would combat the various other tissue losses, though not necessarily muscle loss, because muscle building relies on protein. Sorry that wasn't very clear.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've more than likely over simplified this, and I'm sure it's probably not ideal, safe, healthy, etc. But humour me.

IN THEORY, could you lose 1 lb per day by burning 4700 calories, and still eating the 1200 calories? Everything I've read says it's unhealthy to eat below 1200 calories for women, so what if you're still eating the 1200 calories, but burning way more? Not that there's enough time in the day to burn that many calories, (le sigh) but I can dream, can't I?

Yes, but there is a maximum amount of fat the body can oxidize (use) per day, as determined mostly by how much fat you already have. Chances are only about half of that pound would come from fat.

The rest would come from:
    Muscle
    Bone
    Organ mass

Brittle bones, weakness, no muscle tone, and actual loss of heart muscle, liver volume, skin, etc. \

Sound pleasant? No?

Then stick to reasonable, 1-2 lbs/week.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

I appreciate the concern, but as I've stated, this is purely theoretical. I'm not looking at it in a serious manner, just a "wonder if it's possible" kind of manner. It would be an interesting experiment, I think, but not one I'm interesting in running on myself.

Also, the idea was more along the lines of still getting the nutrition of eating, just not getting all the energy. Relying on the fat stores for the energy, but still getting necessary non-caloric nutrition, which would combat the various other tissue losses, though not necessarily muscle loss, because muscle building relies on protein. Sorry that wasn't very clear.

Okay, you're theory is to NET -3500 calories, correct? That's not getting proper nutrition. Having a negative calorie amount isn't getting proper nutrition. Even if you hit your micro and macro targets at a 1200 calorie range, you're NEGATING it all by over exercising. Protein, Carbs, Fat, and Fiber have a caloric value. Your body will not be getting the nutrients it needs. So, yes you would be sacrificing overall health to achieve it. Though, let's be fair...eating at 1200 calories a person would probably pass out long before they managed to burn 4700 calories. Or at least end up in the hospital. I would at least, because about halfway through that I'd be raiding any place that had food for peanut butter and crackers and gnashing at people who tried to touch me from being so hangry.
  • Nov3mberMistt
    Options

Yes, but there is a maximum amount of fat the body can oxidize (use) per day, as determined mostly by how much fat you already have. Chances are only about half of that pound would come from fat.

Muscle
    Bone
    Organ mass

Brittle bones, weakness, no muscle tone, and actual loss of heart muscle, liver volume, skin, etc. \

Sound pleasant? No?

I think you missed the part that says IN THEORY as in, i'm not actually doing this, not thinking of doing it, it's completely theoretical, and in my head. Not real. Also, I think it's fairly obvious you didn't read any of the other replies, because the theory has been refined through the topic. :/
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Muscle
    Bone
    Organ mass

Sound pleasant? No?

I think you missed the part that says IN THEORY as in, i'm not actually doing this, not thinking of doing it, it's completely theoretical, and in my head. Not real. Also, I think it's fairly obvious you didn't read any of the other replies, because the theory has been refined through the topic. :/

I saw the part that said in theory. I also read the whole thread. I provided information that no one else had: that there is a maximim amount of fat that can be utilized by the body in a given day, and I was specific about where the extra mass loss would come from.

My post still stands as posted. If you did this, a large portion of the mass loss would be muscle, bone, and organ mass instead of fat mass.

I apologize if you don't like it, but those are the facts. I don't really care if you're thinking of doing this or not. In theory, those are the effects you would experience if you did.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    this is a theoretically horrible idea…

/end thread
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    In theory, those are the effects you would experience if you did.
    Thankfully, I think the human body would rebel and not allow a deficit like that to continue for long. In theory.