Any good Brussel Sprouts recipes ?

Options
I usually roast them with garlic, and some salt and pepper. Any other ideas?

Replies

• chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    my favorite is to roast then with apples or pears (in a little olive oil). When I'm really feelin awesome i'll put some bacon in there too. yum.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I steam them and drizzle fat free zesty italian dressing on them. Also toss them in a stir fry.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    is it sad that i just steam them and eat them like popcorn?

I've heard of people making cream sauces for them but your usual way and my way are the only 2 I've found I like.
  • freckledjezebel
    freckledjezebel Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like roasted with olive oil and sea salt. Maybe a little cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I saute halved Brussels Sprouts in a drizzle of olive oil, add a splash of lemon juice and some minced garlic halfway through, then a sprinkle of grated Parmesan at the very end.
  • dgeorgiadis
    dgeorgiadis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sauteed in chicken both with garlic, maybe some curry powder and on special occasions with bacon or pancetta.
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Serves 6-8

2 pounds Brussels sprouts
    1/3 cup toasted breadcrumbs (instructions below)
    1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
    1.5 tablespoons lemon zest
    1 tablespoon finely ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. To make breadcrumbs: Use the remains of an old baguette. Chop or break into pieces with a sharp knife. Process in the food processor until you have the texture of breadcrumb you desire. To toast them you can either use a toaster oven at 300 degrees until golden brown (this should only take a few minutes), or brown them in a pan. If using a pan, stir frequently so that they don’t burn. Rinse Brussels sprouts. Remove stems and slice each Brussels sprout in half lengthwise. Toss the Brussels sprouts in the olive oil. Arrange them so that the cut side faces down on a large baking sheet. Roast them until nicely browned at the edges and tender in the center, about 30-35 minutes. (This will vary depending on the size of the sprout and how brown you would like them.) While the brussels sprouts are browning, mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper with a fork. Add the lemon zest last – it may clump a little, so break it up with the fork if necessary. When the brussels sprouts are ready – tender, with a darker shade of green and nicely caramelized edges – transfer them to a glass bowl. Slowly sift the breadcrumb mixture in with the sprouts - it is possible that you may not use the entire mixture. Serve hot, and enjoy!
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I just steam or roast them and eat them.
    No sauce covering up their delicious flavor.

At the holidays, I will saute them in brown butter and add roast chestnuts or any kind of nut.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    In. I roast mine too but I could use some new ideas.
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Here are 27 Brussel Sprout recipes on Buzzfeed that look super good

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/thanksgiving-brussels-sprouts-recipes?sub=2691076_1848158
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I steam them. Cook a salmon fillet and then smash the salmon through the Brussels Sprouts. Yum.
  • mrsemmypants
    mrsemmypants Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A little olive oil, salt, pepper and some bacon bits. I love them :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like to steam them until they are about half cooked, then fry them off in a little olive oil with some lean bacon.
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    from http://family.go.com/food/recipe-an-798481-roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-apples-and-bacon-t/

1 pound brussel sprouts
    3 slices thick-cut uncured bacon, cut into one-inch pieces
    1 medium onion, cut into medium dice
    2 small firm red apples (such as roma), cored and chopped
    2 tablespoons melted butter
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper

Directions
    1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut off bottom core of Brussels sprouts, halve lengthwise and place on a large cookie sheet with sides.

2) Add bacon, onion, and apples. Toss with melted butter, maple syrup and salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast, stirring occasionally for 40-50 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are caramelized and apples are tender.

3) Drizzle with cider vinegar, taste for seasoning and serve immediately
  • BrownEyedBetty
    BrownEyedBetty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Serves 6-8

2 pounds Brussels sprouts
    1/3 cup toasted breadcrumbs (instructions below)
    1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
    1.5 tablespoons lemon zest
    1 tablespoon finely ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. To make breadcrumbs: Use the remains of an old baguette. Chop or break into pieces with a sharp knife. Process in the food processor until you have the texture of breadcrumb you desire. To toast them you can either use a toaster oven at 300 degrees until golden brown (this should only take a few minutes), or brown them in a pan. If using a pan, stir frequently so that they don’t burn. Rinse Brussels sprouts. Remove stems and slice each Brussels sprout in half lengthwise. Toss the Brussels sprouts in the olive oil. Arrange them so that the cut side faces down on a large baking sheet. Roast them until nicely browned at the edges and tender in the center, about 30-35 minutes. (This will vary depending on the size of the sprout and how brown you would like them.) While the brussels sprouts are browning, mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper with a fork. Add the lemon zest last – it may clump a little, so break it up with the fork if necessary. When the brussels sprouts are ready – tender, with a darker shade of green and nicely caramelized edges – transfer them to a glass bowl. Slowly sift the breadcrumb mixture in with the sprouts - it is possible that you may not use the entire mixture. Serve hot, and enjoy!

yum...... must try, thanks
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bubble and squeak is my fav. potatoes brussel prouts and onions ... fry them in a wok and mash them up together till the bottom burns then mixw it up and cook it a little more... add salt pepper and hp brown sauce to taste.

ive also had grilled brussel sprouts in soup at one of the local ramen places here... thats delicious too.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My absolute fave way (which I actually had with dinner tonight) is pan roasted with balsamic vinegar, a little olive oil and salt and white pepper. Amazing!
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Best way to prepare Brussel Sprouts (I call them "Little Cabbage *kitten*) is to throw them away and go get any other veggie to eat.

Never could stand them (though I love nearly every other veggie).
  • helloreenie
    helloreenie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    this is one of my favorites (sweet potato breakfast hash) had it this morning! http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/10/brussels-sprouts-breakfast-hash-for-dinner/#_a5y_p=1159142
    and i made this for thanksgiving (brown sugar balsamic sprouts with bacon) http://www.missmake.com/2012/02/caramelized-brussels-sprouts-with-bacon.html it was also delicious.