Starting over again (for the last time)

Options
Hey everyone. Well I've always been chubby. Then freshman year I decided that needed to change. I put on my running shoes and decided to find out what would happen if I started running...I ran for maybe 10 minutes total that day. But then 10 minutes turned to a half hour and then I eventually got up to an hour of running (6 miles in an hour at my personal best). I fell in love with running; everything about it. Additionally I lost 40 lbs and got down to 115 lbs (my ideal weight). Sadly my workload picked up and school became top priority and I gained back all that weight and then some. I'm at 207 lbs now (my worst) and I want to get back to 115 lbs again. Any tips/advice/or heck even friends would be appreciated.

Replies

• fasy1
    fasy1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to MFP. You are on the right track as you are ready to take action which is the first step. There is a tons of info available on this site that can help you. Do you have a goal of how much you want to lose in a month? I think you should start with small goals like that to keep you going and motivated. Any activities you wanna take on? Are you putting your running shoes back on and starting to run? I have never ran 6 miles in my life, I wish I could but I hate running and get tired after a few minutes :( Are you planning to cook more? My advice is Do Not Give Up. You are going to have hard days, days where you completely fail, and days where you do not meet your goal, but as long as you pick yourself back up at the end of the day and keep going, you are going to be fine. Good luck!
  • nghosh91
    nghosh91 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey,

Thanks for the advice, I just sent an ad your way. Right now, I'm shooting for 6-7 lbs in a months. I started doing Zumba recently, which I love and I have put my running shoes back on. I can only run for about 5 minutes straight before I hate everything, so I have a long way to go until 6 miles. I am starting to cook more. Hopefully if I keep up the running and Zumba combined with the better eating habits I'll get to that 6-7 lb goal. Ultimately I want to run a half marathon (13.1 miles) by the end of August.
  • nkfuller427
    Options
    Hello!

I completely understand where you are coming from. When I was engaged to my ex-husband, I picked up running and before long it was strange to go through a day without it. I was addicted. I lost 35lbs and was at a weight I was comfortable at but was excited to keep going. We moved and before long, no running, more weight.

I'm starting over again too. I'm tired of being a yoyo and want to make a serious life change. I'm with a wonderful man and we would love to have children. Turns out, being overweight can kill your chances. I was diagnosed with PCOS. I HAVE to lose this weight if I ever want to be a mom. I'm gonna need some friends and help along the way too. Would you like to be friends?

You are going to do great. Remember that even if you are going slow as a turtle, at least you are moving and it can only get better.

Best,

Tasha
  • nghosh91
    nghosh91 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey,

I would love to be friends, I just sent an add your way. You're going to do great too, I know you can get back down to your ideal weight. Good luck to you!

Best,

Neha
  • abrockhausen
    abrockhausen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For us newbies, lets all congratulate ourselves for taking the first step. While I have never been a thin person, I used to be in the Army and was healthy and could run (slowly and never really loved doing it). Now I am at the heaviest I have ever been (217 5'4"). Ready to change my life and be a better me. If we all support each other we can all reach our goals. (WOW I sound like a Hallmark card)
  • fasy1
    fasy1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Thanks for the advice, I just sent an ad your way. Right now, I'm shooting for 6-7 lbs in a months. I started doing Zumba recently, which I love and I have put my running shoes back on. I can only run for about 5 minutes straight before I hate everything, so I have a long way to go until 6 miles. I am starting to cook more. Hopefully if I keep up the running and Zumba combined with the better eating habits I'll get to that 6-7 lb goal. Ultimately I want to run a half marathon (13.1 miles) by the end of August.

That's awesome. I love Zumba!!!! It is fun and burn lots of calories, keep it up~ I am trying to start running as well, cardio is my weakness and running is what I hate the most, but I think I will push myself and try to run for as long as i can. Do you run outdoors or on a treadmill?