Coming up with fitness plan

Options
I have a gym membership and want to get the most effective workout possible. I want to lose fat and gain muscle. What sort of training should I undertake?

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Anything you can stick to? Probably some cardio for warmup & cool down, and then some strength work inbetween...
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on what your starting height and weight and body type are. If you're just a soft guy who wants definition:

Definitely start to lift weights. If you don't know what you're doing find someone who does or watch for a few weeks and figure it out.

For cardio, since you're in 30-something land you'll benefit from HIIT. Short, burst cardio exercises for 20-30 minutes will probably do it for you. Get the free NIKE training club app - I don't care if girls are doing the exercises - consider it eye candy. The cardio workouts on there and/or sprint intervals on the treadmill and/or spin class will be good for cardio. I know lots of guys that love that app - it's like having a trainer without paying for a trainer.

34 is not too late to get muscles - my husband was skinny until late 20's and started lifting and now he continues to get more definition and he looks great.
  • Drdmike
    Drdmike Posts: 66
    Options
    Totally depends on what your starting height and weight and body type are. If you're just a soft guy who wants definition:

Definitely start to lift weights. If you don't know what you're doing find someone who does or watch for a few weeks and figure it out.

For cardio, since you're in 30-something land you'll benefit from HIIT. Short, burst cardio exercises for 20-30 minutes will probably do it for you. Get the free NIKE training club app - I don't care if girls are doing the exercises - consider it eye candy. The cardio workouts on there and/or sprint intervals on the treadmill and/or spin class will be good for cardio. I know lots of guys that love that app - it's like having a trainer without paying for a trainer.

34 is not too late to get muscles - my husband was skinny until late 20's and started lifting and now he continues to get more definition and he looks great.

I only have about 30 minutes in the morning to work out.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Check out Stronglifts program. Though some days it may take a little more than 30 minutes.