How do I detox please?

Options
I am planning to give my body a post christmas detox to give me a boost - Only maybe 3 days initially to get me started again. I am not planning on anything faddy that mean I cannot have food or one of the plans you buy that just have tablets.

I am thinking fruit and veg and water? But can I cook them or do they need to be raw? Can I have potato ? Do I need to take any added vitamins?

Any advice, tips or boosting ideas would be gratefully received. I plan to start 2nd January so I need to know what to get ready.

Thanks

Jaycee xx

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a very good idea. I think I will do the same
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Most detox plans are crap unfotunately, they only promote a few pounds of "quick" weight loss . . . and as most of us know from previous experience, weight lost this way will just pop right back on as soon as you go off the detox.

I have had a few weeks here and there where I have wanted to really ramp up my results to hit a milestone so what I have done is the following (for only 1 week at a time):

Continue to log on MFP, keeping in mind the micro-nutrient goals (protein, carbs, fat, etc) and staying within their limits
    Eliminate beef and pork, substitue with chicken breasts, eggs, and fish (eat protein with every meal though)
    Drink a minimum of 12 glasses of water per day
    DO NOT consume any alcohol, juice, pop, or prepared food
    Prepare and eat all meals from home, no take-out or restaurant food
    Eat LOTS of veggy, use for snacks

Depending on how much exercise I do, I have lost from 3 to 6 pounds in a week from being SUPER dedicated to eating completely clean and following the above.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I found after 2 days of returning to my regular healthy food for about 1300 cals a day and NO processed sugar (my only sugars were from a daily apple or whatever was in whole wheat bread or brown rice) I felt soooooooooooooo much better not being so run down that all the sugar over the month of December caused. I re-started December 27th, feeling good resisting the remaining temptations and ½ bottle of champagne is already logged for Dec 31st and fits in well.

If you want to do something for a couple days, just do the grapefruit diet. Its very easy, if you eat enough protein and real eggs and bacon you'll still hit 1200 so it’s not a VLCD and you'll loose lbs. Just make sure it’s not diet grapefruit juice. The low-cal stuff has no carbs and considering that’s your only carb on the diet, you'll crash after day 2 or 3 exhausted – I learned that the hard way, lol! ;)
  • colestephens
    colestephens Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I generally detox with a Shakeology Cleanse. It's a 3-day, nutrient-rich cleanse.

Here are the instructions:
    SHAKEOLOGY CLEANSE DIRECTIONS
    * 3 Shakeology shakes per day
    * 2 cups of green tea per day
    * 1 or 2 pieces of fruit per day (optional)
    * 1 salad for dinner-can include fish or poultry
    * No dairy or extra sugars (this includes almond and soy milk)!
    * Drink 2 to 4 liters of water every day
    * Only use low-fat dressings, and go easy on the salt and/or pepper to taste
    * 2 snacks before/after any of the major meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
    * Fruit is optional, and it is discouraged (however, some of you will need the calories while others may not)
    * Power-workout participants (those who are already super conditioned) are recommended the higher numbers of calories
    * For maximum results, do NOT use additives
    * Dinner salad may include white grilled protein- poultry, fish or tofu only
    * Daily Regimen:1 cup of green tea to start the day
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    a few years ago I did a fast (for religous reasons) that lasted 40 days, I gave up caffeine, anything made with flour or grains (like rice & oatmeal), sugar, dairy, meat and all processed foods.
    I ate: veggies & fruits mostly, beans, nuts, potatos & sweet potatos & fish, honey, olive oil oh and unsalted unbuttered popcorn ;) in that 40 days I went from 172 to 157. I felt awesome, my skin looked great, however because I was doing it for religous reasons and not for health reasons I didnt keep it up and gained it all back lol

I have a few events coming up in the next couple of weeks and after that I'm going to do 2 week detox in which i will basically do the above for the 2 weeks and after that I'll add in dairy & grains (and caffeine!!) and keep that up for another few weeks and add back bread and sweets in February.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I generally detox with a Shakeology Cleanse. It's a 3-day, nutrient-rich cleanse.

Bwa ha ha, beachbody coach strikes, lol! Tony Horton in your profile pic, BUSTED ;)

If you don't want to spend $15 a day on Shakeology (I like your idea don't get me wrong, just not the $120 for a 30 day serving vs protein powder for <$15 a month) just replace that with protein shakes BUT, add veggies like spinach to the mix and some fruit for fiber since Shakeology doesn't have as much protein but has more nutrients (found easily in natural products) than protein powder.
  • danyellefonseca
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing starting Jan. 1st for two days. My plan is nothing but organic fruits and vegetables, water, and decaffeinated green tea. I haven't really given much thought to raw or cooked but I'll probably do mostly raw.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Bwa ha ha, beachbody coach strikes, lol! Tony Horton in your profile pic, BUSTED ;)

If you don't want to spend $15 a day on Shakeology (I like your idea don't get me wrong, just not the $120 for a 30 day serving vs protein powder for <$15 a month) just replace that with protein shakes BUT, add veggies like spinach to the mix and some fruit for fiber since Shakeology doesn't have as much protein but has more nutrients (found easily in natural products) than protein powder.

I was gonna say haha..

I don't think that $120 is justifieable but I do spend about $8 per pound online trueprotein.com :) LOVE IT!
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Most detox plans are crap unfotunately, they only promote a few pounds of "quick" weight loss . . . and as most of us know from previous experience, weight lost this way will just pop right back on as soon as you go off the detox.

I should have said that I am not doing it for a quick fix weight loss (although it would be a bonus!) Its more to get rid of all the stodge and build up of fatty and sugary foods and alcohol from over christmas that have left me feeling slow and heavy!!

Thanks again x
  • jaycee76
    Options
    anymore tips please people?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    The term "detox" irks me. Mostly because people give it the wrong connotation. If you want to help your body out by giving it a mega dose of vitamins and minerals, I have no problem with that, but for the sake of people who don't know the difference between eating super clean and healthy, and a "detox" I'd probably suggest not using that term.

That pet peeve out of the way. I see nothing wrong with gorging (metaphorically speaking) on a very high fiber, mostly veggie and some fruit diet for a couple of days. this won't really have any impact on your digestive track except for maybe speeding up some of the process, but it can't hurt with helping to normalize your body chemistry. Especially if the holidays caused your body to go out of balance (commonly people overdo sugars and sodium on the holidays, which can leave your electrolytes out of balance and with lots of extra blood sugar)

Please note that doing this will only really do one thing, and that's help to balance out your nutrient balance, I.E. it'll probably sort out any vitamin deficiencies you have, but be aware, ignoring meats and grains can also leave you short on a few vitamins unless you're very careful. Specifically things like iron, zinc and copper can be neglected in this way specifically because meats provide many of these trace metals and they are necessary. Also Vitamin B12 can be lacking. So make sure you meet those requirements if you do it (short durations of this aren't that huge a deal, like 2 or 3 days, but longer can be a problem)

So my advice would be, make sure you get enough calories (it can be difficult this way), and make sure to examine closely, the vitamin and mineral content of the foods you do eat to avoid any deficiencies.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should read about the fat flush diet. It talks about flushing out fats from the lymphs and gives an instructed list of what to eat and what not to. It's not about starving, it's what to feed your body to detox all of the bad things in your body. Some of the things I have not heard of before (chia seeds, flora-key) so it was a little disappointing to have to find stuff to do it. It at least gives good pointers. I plan on starting eating "clean" for the month of January (no processed foods, sugars, caffeine) and stick to lots of fruits, veggies, lean meats and natural foods.
  • jaycee76
    Options
    I think maybe I did use the wrong word by calling it a '' detox ".
    I do mean to eat naturally and to flush through all the rubbish that I have eaten. I was just wanting to get an idea of how others have acheived this and if it improved anything for them

Thanks Again