Running in the heat

Options
One more question for the night. How do you handle the heat and humidity and running? I will admit I am a big baby about weather extremes. I get exercise induced asthma in the cold, but I have never really run in the heat. I live in south Mississippi where it gets crazy hot and humid. I am expecting the warm up to be pretty quick. Aside from running in the morning (which isn't doable at the moment for me as I am getting ready for work by 4:30), can you share some things you do to help you battle the heat when you run?
TIA

Replies

• MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I live in Mississippi, too, and am pushing my runs into the late morning, early afternoon hours. On purpose! I am running the Big Butts Ultra Marathon in Jackson on July 26. The race does not begin until 8:00 am and they give you 14 hours to complete it. That is a lot of time but with the heat/humidity, we will need all that time.

It takes approximately 2 weeks to acclimate to extreme changes in the weather...especially the kind of weather we get here, that is why I am pushing my runs as late as I can to get used to it before race day. Just slow down, take something to drink with you because you will need it! Hang in there!!!
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Water, if you're doing a loop then stash it someplace where you can readily grab some when you come around for the next loop. Summertimes is where moisture-wicking clothes are a MUST - I've seen people in sweat pants and a sweatshirt when it's humid out...Not the best idea! If you don't have any already for comfort's sake (I know this isn't heat-related but...Something along the lines of BodyGlide depending on what kind of shorts you'll be wearing, etc. Chafing is painful...Wearing a cap I would recommend, avoid dark clothing - black or other darks attracts sunlight/heat more so than other colors and don't be afraid to slow down a bit if it's particularly muggy out. Moost important thing though is to HYDRATE
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Hydrate ... hydrate ... hydrate. Moisture wicking fabrics help. Sometimes it just takes a little cool water dumped to help keep things cool

The only way to get used to it is to get out and do it and build up to distance in the heat.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Run slower than you normally do. Hydrate more throughout the day - right before you run ain't gonna cut it.
  • tmodaniel0720
    tmodaniel0720 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has commented. Water lots of water, I drink water all day everyday to stay hydrated. Some like to stash water, some carry water in a belt, or I like the camelbak. Slow down and let your body adjust to the heat and you will be fine as long as you hydrate.
  • PollyWolly98
    Options
    I live in TX so deal with lots of heat and humidity in the summer too. I like to do my shorter runs in the evenings, rather than the mornings. We get a breeze in the evenings and the humidity is lower. I recommend bringing water or Gatorade along on runs over an hour. It takes some getting used to, but it's possible to run in the heat. Good luck!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It was 81F when I ran this evening. Hot with very little breeze. It wasn't one of my best runs. My friend and I did 5 miles but we had to take it slower than usual, stop for water breaks often and allow ourselves little walk breaks here and there to make it to the end.

Pace yourself and obey your thirst (with water!).
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yes to hydrating, wicking, etc. But, partially, I think you just have to accept that running is sometimes going to be uncomfortable. Yep, you'll be uncomfortable in the heat. Yep, you'll probably be uncomfortable in the cold. But you'll reap the benefits of it come fall and it'll make you a little tougher ;)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    How do you handle the heat and humidity and running?

Slow down.

How hot and humid will determine by how much you have to slow down. When it gets into the 90s, my easy run pace is 30 seconds to a minute slower than my normal easy pace.

Another thing, heat acclimation is real. It takes about 3 weeks of running in the heat for your body to acclimate. After that period of time, you will see you easy pace start to gradually move back to where you usually see it.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Slow down and hydrate through the day.

I generally try to get out in the early in the morning when the temps are lower but in North Texas the humidity is generally higher in the morning.

I also used to wear a camelbak while running during the summer which was great for On-Demand water delivery but blocks air flow across your back and makes you hotter.
  • jmill434
    jmill434 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bring a steak knife along to cut the air before you chew it and swallow. There really isn't anything else you can do other than embrace the suck and push through. And hydrate.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    What Carson said....I'm in Florida and heat and humidity are par for the course. It takes time to acclimate (2-3 weeks), hydrate and understand that you will be slower at your 'easy' pace. You'll get there....and of course, moisturewick clothing and chafe prevention.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to replenish your electolytes too as you'll be sweating more. Eat a bit more salt or put electrolyte tabs in your water.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I try to run first thing in the morning before the sun is really up, or in the evening. DO NOT try to run midday if you can avoid it. The sun at it's highest and the full brunt of the days heat will be brutal. I know it's inevitable sometimes, but avoid it if you can. The worst run I ever had was a 2:30pm run when it was 87F and I actually thought I would die. That was a 3 mile run (not a race, but just a slow run) and I was super well hydrated, but I was exhausted, nauseous and very shakey in the end.

I try to be sure I have a full bottle of water available for after the run as I typically feel very thirsty after sweating so much. Also, I was not doing myself any favors by trying to cover up my body because I was insecure about how I shook and jiggled while running. Too many clothes leads to further dehydration! I finally found a longer tank top that covered my belly and bum and it was SO much cooler than the cotton t-shirt with sleeves!

I echo everyone else on the hydrating. Don't try to drink a full bottle before you head out and think you'll be fine. You need to remain well hydrated all the time. Be sure you are getting the recommended water all week, and especially on the day before and the day of your runs.

And, finally.... (Because clearly I had more thoughts than I thought!) if you head out and feel like you are not in a position to go the full distance you planned. You feel dizzy, nauseous, have cramps, pains, etc that are new to you - heed the warnings. You can always hydrate for the remainder of the day and give it another go tomorrow. Heat stroke is no laughing matter, especially if you are running where you may not see others for help (trails, paths, etc.....)
  • ggluvbug1
    ggluvbug1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the thoughts.....i need to set a timer on my phone or something to remind me to start drinking more water. I don't drink enough!
    I am glad to know that I can acclimate to it. I was kind of worried about melting! :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Sounds like running in a wet sauna :indifferent:

So glad there is dry heat here!
  • ggluvbug1
    Options
    Sounds like running in a wet sauna :indifferent:

So glad there is dry heat here!
    Just turn on your shower and breathe in that air for a few minutes...August heat and humidity in the South!
  • Luke_Luke_Luke
    Options
    Apart from hydration, you want to replace your sodium levels from sweating so try drink something that helps with that aside from water. Also make sure you're wearing suitable clothing ie breathable, as well as something to protect your head and face from the sun. If you can manage it, run in an area where there is lots of shade or trees so you can escape some of the direct sun light. I hate the heat let alone running in it, so make sure i'm prepared before each one :) thankfully im heading into winter now!!
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Bikram Yoga conditioned me for outdoor heat while running. Your lungs do have to work harder to pull in hot air, and deep breathing on its own in a sauna or steam room (if available at your health club or apartments or anywhere) can help with that, too.
  • ggluvbug1
    Options
    Apart from hydration, you want to replace your sodium levels from sweating so try drink something that helps with that aside from water. Also make sure you're wearing suitable clothing ie breathable, as well as something to protect your head and face from the sun. If you can manage it, run in an area where there is lots of shade or trees so you can escape some of the direct sun light. I hate the heat let alone running in it, so make sure i'm prepared before each one :) thankfully im heading into winter now!!

I didn't even think about the sodium. I need to look into that.