Why no diet soda?

Options
I have seen several times now, posts suggesting no diet soda. The switch from regular to diet was a big change for me and i think I immediately lost 5lbs just from the soda change. I am also a diabetic so the change was necessary.

So what are the reasons for no diet soda?

Replies

• imustdecrease
    Options
    the artificial sugar makes you blood sugar go up. Try Zevia. tastes great. check out your local health food store or amazon. Also aspartame causes brain lesions and a whole host of other issues..Zevia comes in different flavors..cola, dr. pepper, rootbeer and others.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I am a diet coke drinker myself. I have heard reasons such as sodium, aspartame, and bloating as why not to drink it. Calorie wise it's fine.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz did a segment on artificial sweeteners the other day. They were talking about why you shouldn't have more than 2 servings a day. They said it caused some people to eat more b/c their bodies registered the sweetness but had no calories and in turn made them want to eat. I don't get this way with drinking the coke zero (i just can't stand diet coke lol, but LOVE coke zero). Anyway, lots of people don't like drinking the aspartame either. I'm trying to limit myself to 1-2 a day just because I need more water and less caffeine.
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I avoid any and all soda, personally.

And after cutting out soda completely, I don't feel or look as bloated as I used to. (I still have a bloat look, but that's from extra weight that I still need to cut.)
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    artificial sweeteners aren't good for you, the sodium...etc..although doesnt keep me from eating them! less calories at this point is my goal...but drinking purely water is best...or flavored waters..i may also try the sodas at the health food store, i've been hearing good things! but water at my house is free... :-)
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz did a segment on artificial sweeteners the other day. They were talking about why you shouldn't have more than 2 servings a day. They said it caused some people to eat more b/c their bodies registered the sweetness but had no calories and in turn made them want to eat. I don't get this way with drinking the coke zero (i just can't stand diet coke lol, but LOVE coke zero). Anyway, lots of people don't like drinking the aspartame either. I'm trying to limit myself to 1-2 a day just because I need more water and less caffeine.

Yes I saw that too and I couldn't believe it. But I bet I won't be havin any more anytime soon. I <3 Dr Oz!!!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    First of all, the body perceives the sweetness and increases your insulin levels to deal with the carbs it thinks are being sent to your blood. Insulin moves blood sugar into the liver and muscles to be stored as glycogen. If your blood sugar is normal, increasing insulin can cause your blood sugar to drop too low. I'm sure as a diabetic you've been warned about rebound hypoglycemia? That's pretty much what happens. Also, that spike in insulin repeatedly over time with no additional sugar to move to the muscles can train the body to be insulin resistant. Kind of like the boy who cried wolf, after a while the body won't trust its perception of need for insulin and will slow production and then when a real sugar is consumed there won't be any insulin there to get it out of the blood.

Then you have the issues with artificial sweeteners. I typically don't preach about them, but personally anything that can turn to formaldehyde in my system, doesn't need to be in my system until I die. LOL Also, some people have a sensitivity to the chemicals that causes allergic like reactions that can cause other problems.

As for what you can do because of diabetes, I highly recommend getting off of diet soda if possible. If you do have to have one, or a soda with sugar or HFCS, have it with a meal. The protein and fat will slow the glycemic response from the sugar to keep from having a blood sugar spike and any additional carbs you have will help with the insulin response from the diet soda.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I'm trying to both lose weight and adopt a healthier lifestyle. That means drinking more water (which I wouldn't drink as much of if I was filling up on soda) and really limiting the chemicals that go into my body. Slowly but surely I will eradicate all fake food from my diet.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Also, some people have a sensitivity to the chemicals that causes allergic like reactions that can cause other problems.

And that's what happens to me. I get the most wicked migraines from artificial sweetners, especially "diet" drinks. Anything that can cause me to get an instant migraine from just a cap full of the stuff must not be all that good. Almost nothing else can give me that type of reaction.
  • tdesautel
    Options
    I work with a nutritionist who in turn works for a Diabetes prevention program, she said the artificial sugar is the reason, I switched from regular to diet and can't loose a pound and she said that between the diet pop and the crystal lite the artificial sugar can prohibit you from loosing, that it throws your blood sugar out of wake and can change your bodys system. . so i am trying really hard not to drink either, good luck
  • DS13
    DS13 Posts: 136
    Options
    Besides things that others have mentioned I read somewhere that carbonated drinks are bad for your bones. Apparently the fizzing irritates your stomach, causing it to draw calcium from your blood, which in turn draws calcium from your bones to help maintain brain and muscle functions. I'm not sure if it's really as bad as it sounds, but that in itself makes me think about how much soda I drink.
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Ok. Now y'all are freaking me out ! I never really thought about the diet , sugar free stuff being bad. I live out in the sticks and I don't watch much T.V. I was just thinking about how much equal I consume in a day. I go though a box of 100 every week ! Now that's not to mention the 2 leter of cherry coke zero that I drink every day.
    "BRAIN LESIONS !!!!! " soft bones ?!? Ok. I need to rethink what I'm putting in my body.
  • imustdecrease
    Options
    zevia has no affect on blood sugar and to adverse side affects. Really you must have a soda there are alternatives that won't hurt you. And they have black cherry!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    GO DIET PEPSI, WOOOOO!!

No everyone is so anti-pop on MFP, I started a thread myself just to make sure I wasn't the only one enjoying this delicious calorie-free vice.

See; http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/140065-the-pro-diet-pop-soda-thread?hl=pro+pepsi&page=2#posts-1909165
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    First of all, the body perceives the sweetness and increases your insulin levels to deal with the carbs it thinks are being sent to your blood. Insulin moves blood sugar into the liver and muscles to be stored as glycogen. If your blood sugar is normal, increasing insulin can cause your blood sugar to drop too low. I'm sure as a diabetic you've been warned about rebound hypoglycemia? That's pretty much what happens. Also, that spike in insulin repeatedly over time with no additional sugar to move to the muscles can train the body to be insulin resistant. Kind of like the boy who cried wolf, after a while the body won't trust its perception of need for insulin and will slow production and then when a real sugar is consumed there won't be any insulin there to get it out of the blood.

I was curious about this when my wife told me about the Dr. Oz segment. How exactly does your body "perceive" the sweetness. Is it a Pavlovian response to a life time of sweetness on the tongue meaning an sugar spike coming? Or is the body fooled when it partially breaks down the "sugar" into thinking it needs to release the insulin? Any thoughts?
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options

I was curious about this when my wife told me about the Dr. Oz segment. How exactly does your body "perceive" the sweetness. Is it a Pavlovian response to a life time of sweetness on the tongue meaning an sugar spike coming? Or is the body fooled when it partially breaks down the "sugar" into thinking it needs to release the insulin? Any thoughts?

The Pavlovian Response might be the case, I've heard of (but havent tried... because blech!!) a diet in which several times a day you are supposed to drink water mixed with olive oil and (I *think* if I'm remembering right) lemon juice. By giving your body calories without any sweetness you are retraining your body to not react to sugar. personally I think its dangerous, our bodies are geared to react in certain ways when we eat things and training it to not respond in that way seems somewhat frightening, especially if you're already diabetic and your body isnt responding properly as it is.

Basically my thoughts are: there are far too many chemicals in diet soda (and regular soda for that matter!) for me to be comfortable drinking it with any kind of regularity. I drink soda every now (maybe 2-3 times a month, if that) and then but artificial sweeteners give me headaches and cause me to be forgetful and generally fuzzy headed. We really dont know what the long term affects are of artificial sweeteners on our bodies and (for young women) our children. I would hate to eat/drink something now thats going to give me cancer in my later years, or drink while pregnant or trying to get pregnant that could cause my baby any problems.
  • ZacFields
    ZacFields Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read has said that whether or not aspartame has any adverse affects on you has everything to do with your own individual body. Some people can't metabolize the ingredients correctly and it causes adverse affects, but most people have little to nothing to worry about.

Almost anything excessively consumed can be bad for you. There is such thing as aspartame poisoning, but from what Ive read the people who get that are the people who drink 10-15 cans of soda per day. Wow!

If you're only drinking one or two cans of soda per day, you're probably fine. The biggest problem with aspartame is that it's said to be the most heavily tested/studied/examined food product out there. If you're having problems with aspartame, you may be one of the few who has trouble metabolizing it and you should definitely stop.
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 or 2 cans a day of Zevia or soda sweetened with Splenda. I don't notice any perceptible changes in my blood sugar or craving for sweets and I have no intention of removing soda from my diet. There are so many things I've given up - and am glad I have - to adopt a healthier lifestyle, that I'm not giving up everything I enjoy, especially when there is a calorie free alternative.
  • Patrieka
    Options
    All great replies and plenty to think about. When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I went off anything sweet. I lost a ton of weight and then about three months in, I started eating sugar free foods and sodas and havent been able to lose much more weight at all. I also have been talking to my doctor about my constant appetite. hhmmmmm could it be the diet soda?

I think I know what my New Years resolution will be!

Thanks everyone!
  • ZacFields
    ZacFields Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That's one thing I have heard that artificial sweeteners are basically proven to do is induce cravings for more sweets. Now that doesn't happen to me personally... in fact when I'm craving sweets and I drink a diet soda, it generally calms my craving (thus making it a great way for me to avoid sweets actually), but that is one study I've read to be true.

Whether it's healthy for you or not, it's always better to drink water. You hate to give up something that you really enjoy consuming, but if you have serious concerns then it's probably worth trying to get off of it. If nothing else, those concerns are going to get into your head and whether you're physically having a reaction to aspartame, your brain might think you are.