How much fruit is too much fruit?

Options
I know that fruit does have a lot of sugar and you shouldn't eat a lot of fruit late at night, but how do I know when I have eaten too much fruit and maybe taken in too many carbs and sugars?

Replies

• AngelaKelly02
    AngelaKelly02 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    In my books there's no such thing as too much fruit.
  • StarvingInSuburbia
    Options
    I have chronic insomnia and did loads of things when I was an early teenager to figure out what I should and shouldn't do. I can't eat processed sugar after 5 pm, caffeine after 11 am, natural sugar after 6:30 pm, and just food in general after 7 pm.

No such thing as too much fruit in my book (:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    when you:

A: go over your cal target

B: have so much that you don't get enough protein or fats
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Honestly I eat as much as I like, as long as it can fit into my calorie goals. I don't count grams of sugar, only calories.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much fruit.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said when it is taking you over your calorie allowance.

I also dont think it matters if you eat fruit late at night or any other time.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    when you:

This
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I know that fruit does have a lot of sugar and you shouldn't eat a lot of fruit late at night, but how do I know when I have eaten too much fruit and maybe taken in too many carbs and sugars?

Look at the Carbs or Sugars numbers on MFP's food diary ?
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options

Look at the Carbs or Sugars numbers on MFP's food diary ?

if you ea it > log it
    if it puts you over you calorie and carb(sugar) targets, then you've eaten too much

there is such a thing as too much: if you ate only fruit and too much of it (more than your TDEE) you would get fatter, and probably loose all your teeth

in some countries they split the fruit and veg goals> 5+2 for example - why not try snacking on sugarsnap peas or mangetout instead?
  • peonycarol
    peonycarol Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much fruit!
    I regularly eat 3 to 4 apples every night...LATE at night! We typically don`t hit the sack till 3 am at my house. I love them and they make a great sweet desert. I do, however, calculate them into my calories.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    and you shouldn't eat a lot of fruit late at night,
    Where did you get that one from? Does the fruit have a clock on it?
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much fruit!
    I regularly eat 3 to 4 apples every night...LATE at night! We typically don`t hit the sack till 3 am at my house. I love them and they make a great sweet desert. I do, however, calculate them into my calories.

contradiction there: if you "calculate them into my calories" and are staying below your calorie goal then you have set yourself a limit of how much fruit would be too much

incidentally, if you only ate fruit at above our calorie goal you would also get the runs
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    When you have to go to poo, more than 3 times per day lol
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    when you:

This seems pretty much it.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Maybe it a timing thing with brushing teeth?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    when you:

This.
  • oliviaohair
    oliviaohair Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Because fruit has a lot of sugar in it. Even if they are natural sugars, they can store as belly fat. So you should eat them earlier in the day, because you are more likely to be more active throughout the day, burning off that sugar. I've done research on it, and it seems fairly plausible. Nutrition is very complex, so there are going to be things we don't know.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options

Because fruit has a lot of sugar in it. Even if they are natural sugars, they can store as belly fat. So you should eat them earlier in the day, because you are more likely to be more active throughout the day, burning off that sugar. I've done research on it, and it seems fairly plausible. Nutrition is very complex, so there are going to be things we don't know.

Doesn't seem plausible to me.

I still think the timing of eating fruit (or anything else) does not matter from a weight loss point of view.

It might matter from other points of view - sleeping after a heavy meal or eating after you have cleaned your teeth etc - but makes no difference to weight loss