I'm Stuck

Options
When I started this back in October I weighed right at 250 pounds. Which is ALOT for a female who is only 5'2" tall. However i've lost almost 40 pounds, but seem to be stuck. I haven't gained any nor have I lost anything in over a month. What can I do to jump start my weight loss again? This being stuck crap is starting to get to my head!!!

Replies

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Re-access your eating habits. Maybe you think you're eating ok when in fact you've gone back to some old habits or portion sizes have gone up.

Try something new for your activity. Are you a gym member or doing this on your own? If you have a gym do they have lower priced personal trainers? If you have the funds maybe look into that or a class of some kind...

When I started my weight training on my own I thought I was doing good but I got into a slump too and got discouraged and that's when I lost focus. Only now that I have a trainer have I realized I wasn't really doing as much as I could. Having someone to be accountable to and that will push you helps. I didn't think it would but it does. I don't want to let him down or feel like he's wasting his time.

A thought just came to mind regarding the accountability thing. Maybe you could find a workout buddy.....not someone that just is there for the company but someone else that also wants someone to be accountable to. Check out meetup.com for your area and I would bet anything there are fitness groups. I'm a member of a couple different social groups and it's a nice way to meet some new people and do things when you want without pressure.

Hope that helped a little.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What is your calories set at? I assume you are set to "lose 2 pounds per week" which is appropriate for you. Do you use a food scale and weigh/log all food? If not, you may be overestimating on your calories. What is your workout routine like? If you work out, are you eating some more calories for fuel for working out?
  • Ashaleet
    Ashaleet Posts: 59
    Options
    Go back to when you were losing a lot of weight. If you click on reports, you should be able to see in what period of time you lost the most. Go through your diary. Look at your water intake, the excersize you were doing, etc. Most importantly, what TYPES of foods were you eating? Lots of veggies? Carbs? Protein? Try to replicate what you were doing before.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Open your diary for personalized advice.

You're probably underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh everything. Eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Kaliemp
    Kaliemp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do weigh and measure everything. I know i have been eating a little more carbs lately than normal so maybe that's it. I'm doing a bit better now. Mostly because I measured over the weekend and even though the scale isn't going down the mass is. lol! So maybe i'm just not "losing weight" because I'm replacing fat pounds with muscle pounds.

Yes i am a member of a gym but it is not easy for me to meet with a trainer as they are only there from 9am to 7pm and i usually have to go at 5am unless by some chance my child is going to be gone that day, then i can go after work.
  • Kaliemp
    Kaliemp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    And thanks for the advice!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I do weigh and measure everything. I know i have been eating a little more carbs lately than normal so maybe that's it. I'm doing a bit better now. Mostly because I measured over the weekend and even though the scale isn't going down the mass is. lol! So maybe i'm just not "losing weight" because I'm replacing fat pounds with muscle pounds.

Yes i am a member of a gym but it is not easy for me to meet with a trainer as they are only there from 9am to 7pm and i usually have to go at 5am unless by some chance my child is going to be gone that day, then i can go after work.

If you are losing inches, then you are losing fat. That's great. The scale weight is not going down *yet* but it will. Your muscles will be retaining water for repair. You aren't replacing fat with muscle, you can't make more muscle unless you are eating at a surplus of calories and trying really hard. They will be stronger though and you will see them more as you shed the fat. Great job, keep at it and with consistency you will make progress.
  • michybeans
    michybeans Posts: 106
    Options
    Losing inches is awesome! That means you are totally on track! Keep up the good work and the scale will go down soon too! :)
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    one trick i used to kick start a slump is change my diet... one day eat healthy but eat like a healthy king... Next day eat healthy but eat like a healthy peasant .....

One site I found stated:

7. Kick Start Your Metabolism: Eat More

If all the things in your diet and exercise routine have truly remained the same, the reason your fat loss has stalled is that your body doesn’t want you to lose any more fat.

You need to let your body know it is tap into those fat reserves.

The way you do this is by eating more calories for a short period of time. We’re not talking about huge amounts of additional food consumed over days or weeks. Instead, gradually increase your calories to a level that is just above your maintenance level (by 100-150 calories) for approximately 1-2 weeks. Take body fat measurements and weigh yourself and see if you’ve lost any additional body fat.

If you keep the body guessing, it won’t be able to stay in plateau mode for long.