Squat form check

Options
So I started stronglifts last week, I noticed that while squatting at the 65lbs I leaned further over than I have been previously (something I struggle with) and kept bringing my hips up faster than my chest/back. This caused by back to arch a bit and some lower back pain... When I focused to correct it I ended up stepping back about halfway up. I don't want to end up with an injury and as it stands I feel I struggle with form the most on squats than any other exercise. I uploaded a video so maybe I can get some feedback, this is barefoot, and I'm pretty sure my form changes a bit when I have the bar (hence holding my hands up) and shoes... but I'm hoping I can get some advice? I've been told I lean too far forward but when I move any further into an upright position I fall backwards. :/

*Note, after having lower back pain while squatting 125lbs, I reset from body weight.
I squat low bar.
Here's a video (I'll try to get one at the gym tomorrow in my workout clothes, might be able to tell a bit differently): http://youtu.be/zccQpSlg7zY

Thanks!

Replies

• SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    Bump
    Sorry just want to have a read through some of the replies :smile:
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    slightly break at the hips then squat straight down. you want to keep your torso at the same line all the way down. This is really good video for how to low bar squat properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMFHgVN_pcg
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    slightly break at the hips then squat straight down. you want to keep your torso at the same line all the way down. This is really good video for how to low bar squat properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMFHgVN_pcg

Thank you for this! Great video :flowerforyou:
  • la_te_ra_lus
    Options
    your welcome:smile:
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yea that's definitely wrong. At least your depth is good though.

Focus on keeping your torso up you're collapsing forward out of what looks like incorrect form or a muscle weakness but with weight on your back it can become a srs prob. Try and keep the barbell in a straight line up and down on the eccentric, and cocentric part of the lift like a smith machine almost. Also, when dropping down at the bottom squeeze your glutes, it will help you keep your balance. It's a lot like taking a seat you just have to get comfortable "falling" into position.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Try not to lean forward as much... You could end up hurting your back.. To aid with this, try widening your feet a little bit, along with pointing your toes outward a little.. Try this and let me know how it looks and feels :)

Don't be scared to make your butt go towards your feet either, going deeper may help with staying in a good form.. You may want to do some stretches twice a week, every week, to assist in getting more flexibility in your hips and such. (Do a really deep squat as if you're trying to poop or pee on the ground, and hold the position for up to 20 seconds, repeat 3-4 times and within a few weeks you will notice a HUGE difference in flexibility)

Good luck!
  • la_te_ra_lus
    Options

Don't be scared to make your butt go towards your feet either, going deeper may help with staying in a good form.. You may want to do some stretches twice a week, every week, to assist in getting more flexibility in your hips and such. (Do a really deep squat as if you're trying to poop or pee on the ground, and hold the position for up to 20 seconds, repeat 3-4 times and within a few weeks you will notice a HUGE difference in flexibility)

Good luck!

thats really good advice. Hip mobility is such a common problem that a lot of people overlook..
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Try not to lean forward as much... You could end up hurting your back.. To aid with this, try widening your feet a little bit, along with pointing your toes outward a little.. Try this and let me know how it looks and feels :)

Good luck!

I agree! Widen your stance a bit and point toes out. How much depends on you. Just ensure your knees are in line with your toes to where they are pointed.

It looks like your hips and knees are breaking at the same time, which causes you to lean forward to much. Break at the hips first, and the knees will follow after.

I agree with "sitting in the hole" to help with mobility, do it for reps and sets. 20-30 secs. Foam rolling might be an option as well. When in the bottom position, you should be able to wiggle your toes. Your weight should be mostly on the heel and outer counter of your foot.

Do some accessory work for hams and glutes. Bridge, good morning, hip thrusters, 1 leg RDL, etc.....Will help if your quad dominant.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
    I do point my toes out, about 15 degrees but I tried about 45 and widened my stance by about 3 inches, feels like I stay a bit more up but also feels super foreign and I wanted to go on my toes :? Guess I'll keep practicing!

The hips and knees breaking different times, I'm going to have to work on that! I've actually heard both side there, knees break and straight down, and then hips break first then straight down. I'll play with it.
  • janjanorama
    janjanorama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with leaning forward too and my physio gave me some exercises the other day to try and counter it. I put a 5kg plate under each of my heels, and keep the front of my foot on the floor. this forces me to push down fully through my heels when raising up and stops me from leaning forward. Since I've started doing this I notice much more muscle activation in my glutes and i can get much better depth in my squats, as well as reduced back pain and no more forward leaning!

like this guy! http://www.fitbie.com/exercise/barbell-squat-heels-raised-men
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with leaning forward too and my physio gave me some exercises the other day to try and counter it. I put a 5kg plate under each of my heels, and keep the front of my foot on the floor. this forces me to push down fully through my heels when raising up and stops me from leaning forward. Since I've started doing this I notice much more muscle activation in my glutes and i can get much better depth in my squats, as well as reduced back pain and no more forward leaning!

like this guy! http://www.fitbie.com/exercise/barbell-squat-heels-raised-men

If the plates solve it for you, it's either ankle mobility, or related to your upper\lower leg and torso proportions. The best squatters tend to have relatively long torsos and short legs, particularly relatively short upper legs.

This is the same reason weightlifters wear heeled shoes.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    Options

If the plates solve it for you, it's either ankle mobility, or related to your upper\lower leg and torso proportions. The best squatters tend to have relatively long torsos and short legs, particularly relatively short upper legs.

This is the same reason weightlifters wear heeled shoes.

I tried the plates, without weight I'm def a lot more upright, but I am when I throw my arms in front of me too.. with weight it made no difference.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    Options
    So I started stronglifts last week, I noticed that while squatting at the 65lbs I leaned further over than I have been previously (something I struggle with) and kept bringing my hips up faster than my chest/back. This caused by back to arch a bit and some lower back pain... When I focused to correct it I ended up stepping back about halfway up. I don't want to end up with an injury and as it stands I feel I struggle with form the most on squats than any other exercise. I uploaded a video so maybe I can get some feedback, this is barefoot, and I'm pretty sure my form changes a bit when I have the bar (hence holding my hands up) and shoes... but I'm hoping I can get some advice? I've been told I lean too far forward but when I move any further into an upright position I fall backwards. :/

*Note, after having lower back pain while squatting 125lbs, I reset from body weight.
    I squat low bar.
    Here's a video (I'll try to get one at the gym tomorrow in my workout clothes, might be able to tell a bit differently): http://youtu.be/zccQpSlg7zY

Thanks!

http://youtu.be/135E7teIqe8

Here's the video with weight and attempt at taking a few suggestions into mind. *note, 4th set of 5x5*
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Look straight ahead. Drive your chest up. You are bringing your hips up then your chest, essentially turning your lift into a good morning.

Edit: when you are squatting you essentially want to bring your hips forward, not just up.

Here is one of mine from a few weeks ago. http://youtu.be/1d3ZZJhmqcY

Notice my chest is up and when my hips come up my chest is going up too?
  • la_te_ra_lus
    Options
    When you descend are you pulling yourself down with the hip flexors ? the firing of the hip flexors will force your whole body to stay tight , look straight ahead instead of a downward angle this putting your spine into a succeptable postion.. It took me a bit of time to get my form down for low bar.. Keep at it :smile:

Shawshank your a beast keep killing those PR's.