Squatting with sciatica

Options
Helllo can anybody help me with formation etc i have a bar an hand weights i normally squat with my bar (45lb bar 25lb weights) but im finding it very hard not to pop my sciatica back out pf place can anybody help me its in my lower back and left bum cheek I LOVEEE SQUATTING and what it does for my body but im finding it impossible ? Thanks

Replies

• Bun_Ya
    Bun_Ya Posts: 174
    Options
    Go to a physiotherapist.
  • Mummysskinnymission
    Options
    I have hunni they just sent me home with naproxin tablets! :( i dont want it to stop me
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    you should film yourself from the side while going through the squat motions its easy to pick out form issues you maybe having.
    this is a pretty good video on the subject. sounds like there maybe some muscle inbalances in your hip/posterior chain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7usNiXbA11w
  • Mummysskinnymission
    Options
    you should film yourself from the side while going through the squat motions its easy to pick out form issues you maybe having.
    this is a pretty good video on the subject.

My stance and posture is actually immaculate but its lifting the bar back up when i feel the sciatica in my bottom about to pop back in is there a way to resolve this? Should i lift smaller and build it back up even though im more than capable of lifting what i am 70lbs isant much for a girl of my height and weight
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Get back to the physio hun x
  • la_te_ra_lus
    Options
    if its real bad go see a physio.. if its not terrible concentrate on stretching out the hamstrings as tight hamstrings will pull on the lower back causing a host of issues. the problem most likely is somewhere along your posterior chain. wether its muscle imbalances or inpingement.
  • pr1nc3ss_xo
    pr1nc3ss_xo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    really depends on the root cause of your sciatica, i'd also recommend seeing a physiotherapist.
    i've lived with mine for years now and managed to keep it fairly happy by learning what irritates it and when to back off and take it easy with some yoga when it starts to hurt.
    for me it's a muscle thing and when my muscles get unhappy, my nerve really feels it. yoga helps make my body happy again.
    physio was necessary for quite a while to teach my muscles to function properly and to stop compensating for weakness in other areas.
  • Mummysskinnymission
    Options
    if its real bad go see a physio.. if its not terrible concentrate on stretching out the hamstrings as tight hamstrings will pull on the lower back causing a host of issues. the problem most likely is somewhere along your posterior chain. wether its muscle imbalances or inpingement.

Its caused by the epidural in child birth ut is fine most of the time when i take ibuprofen and i can lift for around 5 mins before i feel it about to pop but this isant going to sculpt my body the way i want will it be the same effect if i do it several times a day for short periodsof time and thankyou i will try that x
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options

^^ This^^

If your current PT sends you home with pills and says have a nice day, perhaps a second opinion? A PT more in tune with athletes?

The last doctor that I saw for back issues didn't take me seriously, as I was not in a wheelchair or pushing a walker. We corrected this relationship by the second visit or she would have been fired. Politely, of course, with a firm explanation...
  • bheathfit
    Options

Its caused by the epidural in child birth ut is fine most of the time when i take ibuprofen and i can lift for around 5 mins before i feel it about to pop but this isant going to sculpt my body the way i want will it be the same effect if i do it several times a day for short periodsof time and thankyou i will try that x

Perhaps goblet squats will alter your form enough to either give you more reps or possibly avoid the issue all together? Even with good form, having a bar on your back disperses weight differently than holding a kettle bell or dumbbell.
  • Mummysskinnymission
    Options
    Hey hun mine isant a bad case no just that when it does pop in it leaves me bed bound for a few days iv been out of lifting now for 8 months and its got drastically better but feels quite weak because iv started again. I was told it will never get better because i moved during the insertion of the epidural xx
  • Mummysskinnymission
    Options

Perhaps goblet squats will alter your form enough to either give you more reps or possibly avoid the issue all together? Even with good form, having a bar on your back disperses weight differently than holding a kettle bell or dumbbell.

Iv never actually used kettles and was thinking this could help my issue but will it give me the same effect on my lower body? X
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I have hunni they just sent me home with naproxin tablets! :( i dont want it to stop me

tell them that you're active and wish to remain so and just giving you tablets isn't enough. when I used to play ice hockey I had both sciatic nerves and one femoral nerve trapped and could barely walk, and I had physiotherapy for that (on the NHS) which was very effective. but I went there as an ice hockey player, i.e. letting them know I played ice hockey for a league team and wanted to get back on the ice ASAP.......... most people when they have back pain they just want painkillers, so that's what you usually get if you go there and complain about back pain etc.... if you're active, sporty etc then you need to make it clear to them that you want to remain active and you want the injury treated as a sports injury or with a view to returning to sport/exercise/fitness ASAP

If you've already made that clear and they're still just fobbing you off with painkillers then find another doctor and get a 2nd opinion.
  • Mummysskinnymission
    Options

tell them that you're active and wish to remain so and just giving you tablets isn't enough. when I used to play ice hockey I had both sciatic nerves and one femoral nerve trapped and could barely walk, and I had physiotherapy for that (on the NHS) which was very effective. but I went there as an ice hockey player, i.e. letting them know I played ice hockey for a league team and wanted to get back on the ice ASAP.......... most people when they have back pain they just want painkillers, so that's what you usually get if you go there and complain about back pain etc.... if you're active, sporty etc then you need to make it clear to them that you want to remain active and you want the injury treated as a sports injury or with a view to returning to sport/exercise/fitness ASAP

If you've already made that clear and they're still just fobbing you off with painkillers then find another doctor and get a 2nd opinion.

Yup getting fobbed off to be honest i hate taking tablets also i want to be clean thanks ill try another docs x
  • bheathfit
    Options
    Iv never actually used kettles and was thinking this could help my issue but will it give me the same effect on my lower body? X

Unfortunately, someone with more varied squat experience will need to chime in to answer that question. I currently either squat with a weighted bar, smith press or in a squat machine.

Edit to add:

In my opinion, I don't necessarily recommend squatting in a smith press unless you don't have other options. You aren't engaging your stabilizers properly. Also, since the bar moves only linearly, it can give you terrible form if you are not careful.
  • Mummysskinnymission
    Options

Unfortunately, someone with more varied squat experience will need to chime in to answer that question. I currently either squat with a weighted bar, smith press or in a squat machine.

Yes me also i love the squat machine makes me feel strong hahha im not into lifting like a girl i learnt that the hard way the heavier the better with my body x
  • la_te_ra_lus
    Options
    kettlebell or dumbbell squatting will still hit the quads and glutes. what you won't get a lot of is core stabilization.. there will be some to a degree but not as much as supporting weight on your back...

my flavor of squat the past year or so has been front squats..
  • Mummysskinnymission
    Options
    kettlebell or dumbbell squatting will still hit the quads and glutes. what you won't get a lot of is core stabilization.. there will be some to a degree but not as much as supporting weight on your back...

my flavor of squat the past year or so has been front squats..

Yes i like front squats :) will a kettle ball not do my core if i lift it up arms straight out infront of me tensing my core ? X
  • Mummysskinnymission
    Options
    Sorry for all the questions hehhe i just dont want to be out of the game again im getting skinny fat :(
  • la_te_ra_lus
    Options
    it will i was thinking of your standard kettlebell squat.. anything where you are extended or overhead will work the core because its trying to stabalize. just be carefull with kettlebells and start off slow. A lot of people at my gym have been getting sideline while doing kettlebell lifts with improper form.