Non-chewable foods after mouth surgery?

Options
So, as the title says, I'm having my mouth cut open next week and have been advice to go on a somewhat "liquid" diet for the first 3-5 days so as to not have any food bits get stuck and cause irritation/further infection.

The foods I have in mind are canned soups, left over SlimFast shakes (these first two I'm not quite fond of due to high sodium/sugar content), porridge, yogurt (maybe a bit of ice cream...), and jelly/jello.

Some of those are a bit excessive in nutritional areas I want to cut down on so... Would anyone be able to provide other alternatives, please? And filling, low-cal/sugar/sodium recipes that I can make and keep/freeze in advance would be very helpful too.

Thanks. c:

Replies

• asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    eat whatever you like and use a blender/food processor to turn it to mus/liquid that you can eat through a straw

When I had lots of dental work and surgery as a kid, I insisted that i still wanted fish and chipc and ice cream
    don't add eating horrible food to everything you're going to go through

though you may chose to use less chilly and spices in your food

good luck
  • PS85UK
    PS85UK Posts: 6
    Options
    Well, I don't know which foods exactly you are cutting down on, so smoothies might not be an option, but if you look at what you are eating at the moment, is there any way to cook that into a soup or make a puree out of it? Also - but this is not low-cal - you could think about having coffee with heavy cream or bulletproof coffee (i.e. add coconut oil to it). That would be liquid and filling and might be an option for the very first few days as nothing can get stuck.

Good luck!
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Do this to get some good phyto and micro nutrients in. Might not be for everyone.

Handful of Kale, Handful of spinach.Cut up a pear half a banana couple ice cubes 8-10 oz of coconut milk and into the blender it goes.

it will look like toxic flourescent green color once blended up.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i had to go thru liquids then blended/pureed followed by soft/mashed after surgery at the beginning of the year. my dietitian suggested slim fast but i swapped it for protein shakes

pureed/blended i just shoved what ever savory i fancied in a blender with some gravy/milk. for sweet stuff i blended fruits, yogurt and milk

softs i got the trusty slow cooker working mashing down big lumps
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Yes! I had a gum-graft done last August and I have tons of foods to recommend! Applesauce is a big one. Pudding and yogurt. Mashed bananas, if that's your thing. Mashed potatoes. SOUP and lots of it, but NOT TOO HOT! And when your mouth starts to heal and you can start eating food that isn't basically liquid but doesn't require a lot of chewing: refried beans, tuna, baked beans, really finely shredded chicken. I ate so much tuna when my mouth was healing, because it was the only meat I could eat that I could take small bites of and didn't really need to chew.