Who Has the Worst Office Food Culture?

Options
acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,704 Member
My workplace is awful in terms of food culture. We have cakes and cookies to mark any occasion. Birthdays, birthday of offspring, going on vacation, returning from leave, project completed on time, even resignations.

Today on top of varioous filing cabinets I saw:
Homemade chocolate cake, Lebanese sweets, Haribo gummy candy, Twizzlers, M&M's, Hershey's miniatures, Reese's peanut butter cups, some Croatian candy called Domaci Kobaci (there is a tradition of bringing back candy from vacation destination), Doritos, Pretzels, chocolate digestives, Milka Crispello, a couple of chocolate Easter Eggs and a Toblerone bar.

On Thursday, just before the Easter weekend we had:
Hot cross buns, a maple pecan plait, vanilla crowns, jam filled doughnuts, triple chocolate chip cookes, jamble cookies, Kipling French Fancies, chocolate chip muffins, Dominoes Pizzas and potato wedges, Krispy Kreme dougnuts, and two cakes from Paul's bakery--one was dark chocolate and the other was marzipan.

Please vent here about the plethora of treats lying around your workplace.

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I try not to focus on what everyone else in the office wants to eat. It's their prerogative to celebrate occasions with sweets or whatever they want. It doesn't really mean I need to partake in any of it.

I don't personally feel the need to be judgmental about their food choices. I focus on what I put into my mouth and leave them to their own vices. Not everyone is on the same path that I am.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    We have a counter that is referred to as "The Treat Counter" - also currently there are candy filled Easter eggs hidden all over the office.
  • pearljammedbeat
    Options
    My office is similar, but I travel a lot for my job so I'm not there all that often. On my desk, I have a jar of sunflower seeds, and one with some hard candy. I also keep healthy snacks in my drawer for when I am truly feeling hungry.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The office food is bad. Over-priced and processed, mostly in vending machines or fried if you dare to trust the cafe to cook for you.

I'm too poor for any of that anyways, so I end up bringing fresh produce, PB, and a lunch in a mason jar every day. I don't even look at the vending machines anymore. I know it's just going to be a waste of money. $2 for a candy bar could have bought a pound of fresh strawberries, cured my sweet tooth, and filled me up more.
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My office food culture is pretty good. Luckily, my office is small and we all are trying to be healthier, so lots of packed lunches with produce. I work in a property management office and the residents are always bringing us treats. This week I got some ghirardelli chocolates, sees candy, and red velvet cake. We usually set them out in the lobby to share with everyone and they get eaten up super fast which is helpful. I could easily go on chocolate binges at work otherwise.
  • AngelaKelly02
    AngelaKelly02 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Whenever we have a fundraiser for anything we always have a cupcake day. Even if we were fundraising for something obesity related I bet we'd still have a damn cupcake day.
  • EricaSlaughter
    EricaSlaughter Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was just complaining about this yesterday. My office had cupcakes, donuts, and bunt cake; why...just because. I just focus on eating something healthy while everyone else is eating all the sugar.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My old office was also bad about celebrating every little occasion with sweets. The ladies in the office would make a big fuss if I didn't partake. I got to where I would get a small sample and then toss it in the trash once I got to my office. Now I work at a different office and it is worse. I set next to a lady whose main job is to plan menus and order food for every meeting.....yes....every meeting. She talks food all day and brings in samples of food. Too bad none of it is healthy:(
  • YarnCollector
    YarnCollector Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In my office we have a lot of snack foods around. It was very hard to get past it all espceically in the afternoon.
    My way of getting past it. I plan my meals before I get to work and I only eat what I can pull out of my lunch bag.
    If it isn't in my lunch bag I won't eat it.
    It is not easy, but I am so focused on my goal now that I am making it work.

:)
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Haribo gummy candy,

This is to "cleanse" your system of all of the other stuff!:laugh:

I've worked in many different office positions and in my experience, nurses have the some of the worst food culture ever. Most nurses cook or bake then bring the stuff in. Also, since floor nurses are rarely ever allowed to get in a full lunch period, so they are constantly snacking - and that usually means sweets, potato chips, stuff from the vending machines, etc. Hospital food . . . well, hospital food is second only to airline food, and the cafeterias usually use a ton of fat (usually low salt, though.) Those nurses that work in offices have it even worse. Not only do they get offerings from vendors (usually muffins, candy, etc.) but they are also sitting at a desk. The office nurses often have an office culture of potlucks. If they don't have a reason, they'll make one up.

ETA: My vent? One vendor insists on bringing me candy, knowing that I'm a diabetic. It doesn't make it any better that she if from a local hospice. :indifferent: She brings stuff from a specialty candy store that stocks old timey stuff like Chick-o-stix, Cow Tails candy, salt water taffy and Brach's Neopolitans, things I loved as a kid. That kind of makes it extra hard to resist. Lately, most of the vendors have been getting a clue and either bring fruit/veggie platters or an unsweetened Starbucks black iced tea, which I absolutely love.
  • jaenders06
    jaenders06 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I work in the retail grocery industry... Granted I work with Fresh Fruits and Vegetables everyday, my department is directly beside the bakery department who has cakes, cookies, and all of the goodies you can imagine all the time. I can't count how many times I've come to work and had this stuff sitting on my desk. Plus everyone here seems to keep candy on their desk (I keep mints so I don't eat all day). It can be very challenging some days to stick with it because they always say "1 cookie or muffin won't hurt". Problem is, I don't want to eat it nor do I want to be rude so I usually just give them to my coworker who takes them to her second job. My bosses always bring in bagels and donuts to celebrate things as well and I'm like why can't we just get a fruit tray from the warehouse seeing as we do work with produce every day.... There's never a healthy option for those of us who would like one but I just avoid the food the best I can and explain that I'm trying to change my lifestyle and get healthy. Most respect that and wish me luck, others not so much...
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My office is pretty bad we are really small only 10 people so its hard to hide from it. Almost anything bad in my diary is from work, we have a major fancy chocolate addiction at work. Also there are always cookies, chips and scones laying around. One of our assistants works part time at a fancy tea shop and brings all the leftovers. I really have a hard time resisting I would say I get 50-75% of my calories at work and then eat a light dinner.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,704 Member
    Options
    I get tired of my office being such a minefield with respect to temptation. Today's treats are mostly from South Africa and Vietnam, because there is a tradition of bringing in sweets from holiday destinations. Two bags of maze chips (BBQ and tomato flavour), two types of Biltong, lemon creme biscuits and some unknown type of South African candy. The two boxes of sweets from Vietnam are a cashew coconut candy as well as a selection of sesame and peanut brittles. We have the usual stuff lying around as well, Haribo gummies and some chocolate Easter eggs.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I work in a small office with 9 of us on the design floor. There is always cake and biscuits and we take it in turns to bring stuff in. Some people will eat a lot and others like me will have a biscuit a day perhaps. A biscuit a day is easy to fit into my daily calories and I wouldn't dream of complaining or telling people what to bring in. They are being generous and I appreciate it even if I'm not going to eat doughnuts every day etc.
  • AshTallman
    AshTallman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work in a doctor's office and you'd think it'd be healthier in the break room! Currently we have a cocunut Easter Bunny cake, chocolate brownies and cake, easter chocolate eggs, and they just finished a cookie cake yesterday. Drug reps are also bad about bringing cupcakes and brownies and doughnuts :( I wish they'd bring fruit or something along those lines. I just tell everyone else to try the food for me haha!