Pesto low-fat?

Options
tracydr
tracydr Posts: 528 Member
Any ideas to make a low-fat version of pesto? I live pesto and am starting to get a lot of basil and arugula from the garden. I was considering trying something similar to a mint chutney but would like a richer mouthfeel.

Replies

• Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I use chickpeas instead of nuts, which reduces the calories and fat content some, and probably use less olive oil than most recipes call for. Can't give you proportions--I do it by guess and by gosh. (FWIW, I started doing the chickpea thing because pine nuts are crazy expensive, and decided it worked well.)

Here's a recipe for arugula pesto that gave me the idea of using chickpeas. It's still pretty heavy on the oil, but at least it's not that much olive oil AND nuts.

http://inmykitchengarden.blogspot.com/2006/05/arugula-pesto-takes-over-kitchen.html

Then again, fat from nuts and olive oil is "good" fat, so maybe just cut back on how much pesto you use and enjoy.
  • nicraylay
    Options
    This is the recipe I normally use..

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/skinny-basil-pesto.html#more

hope it helps!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    pesto *should* contain: basil, pine nuts, oil , parmesan

try out doing the mix with just a little oil (start with 1stp) and as much basil as you can - adjust to taste
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I know it's heresy but I also leave out the pine nuts. The are just too damn expensive anyhow. I used to sub in pumpkin seeds, but don't even bother anymore.

Also basil freezes pretty well. I put mine in the food processor with a bit of olive oil, put in plastic ziplocs, and store it flat in the freezer. Easy to break off pieces to use during the winter!
  • ac2285
    ac2285 Posts: 3
    Options
    i've tried this recipe before using zucchinis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJTegO9w5pk

i was impressed :)
  • tracydr
    Options
    I love these ideas.
    I have a huge patch of arugula to use so I'll give that a try. Love the idea of chickpeas,too.
    I do have a big bag of pine nuts that I bought in the bulk section of Sprouts. I keep them frozen and only use them for pesto.
    I bought two huge packs of basil at the Asian store, one pound each. So I'll make basil pesto and arugula pesto tomorrow. Maybe bake a chicken to go with!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have seen recipes that use chicken stock for some of the olive oil not all. Sorry I can not recall where I saw it.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Pesto is very calorie dense, but you don't need much. I usually have about 30g and add 1tbsp of cooking water. If you like drowning your pasta in it, then try the skinny version.
    My mom adds a small crushed potato because it gives pesto a creamy texture: she doesn't give a damn about calories, but in fact it's also lighter :laugh: You can also skip cheese, a friend of mine makes a yummy vegan pesto.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Saving to read the recipes later. I cannot even put my love of pesto into words, but yes, it is extremely calorie dense.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If combining with pasta, I don't think the oil is that important.

For example, sundried tomatoes (reconstituted with water, no oil) and garlic whizzed up together make a great dressing on pasta.

I know it sounds a bit mad, but make a bit without oil and see if it works for you. The flavours are what's important, and if the nuts and oils and skipped over then you get them without the extra calories.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Fat is not bad, studies have shown reducing carbs will give you better weight loss than reducing fats, so use the olive oil, one that is fresh pressed and not heated and enjoy life.

For pesto, I would use fresh basil, garlic cloves, pine nuts and olive oil. Oh, I forgot the Parmesan cheese. You need the oil to blend everything, you can reduce the Parmesan cheese a bit to reduce the fat, but you will be throwing away flavor, so what is the point in making pesto in the first place, if it is not for flavor. So, the bottom line is make it so it tastes great and make cuts in your diet elsewhere.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I do a broccoli version of "pesto" for years now that's been amazing.

Take 2 heads of broccoli, chop up and boil until very, very soft.
    Drain broccoli and return to pot. Mash up, adding a small amount of olive oil.
    Add in garlic and grated parmesan cheese to taste
    Toss over pasta of your choice.

It's a great way to sneak in some extra broccoli and I love it. Totally easy and cheap to make.
  • StefieLou
    StefieLou Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I do the chicken stock thing too, and it always tastes great!!!
    It might have been a "Hungry Girl" trick
  • tracydr
    Options
    I can literally eat the whole batch right out of the blender.
    I made a "pesto" yogurt dip for artichokes yesterday with FF Greek yogurt,garlic and balsamic that was quite good.
    Going to try the chickpea idea with reduced oil and less cheese/ nuts. I'll also try the chicken broth idea.
    Has anybody tried agar agar to add fat texture? Just ordered some off Amazon to try.
    Also thinking I could make sorbets and ice cream with it.