Saving up cals to eat later in the week on a 1200 cal diet

Options
Hi fellow MFPer's!

So I know it's perfectly acceptable and a lot of people will under eat on certain days to 'save' the calories for later in the week.

However, is this ok when your target is 1200 cals as this is what I'm doing at the moment.

I'll be eating around 1000 cals some days then 1500 or so at the weekends. So it does all balance out.

Btw I am 4 ft 11 and not exercising a huge amount so 1200 is perfectly reasonable for me (I will eat more on workout days and sometimes go over etc without stressing to much.

Just querying as it does mean I am netting less than 1200 on days, which I know isn't right, but as I'm making up for it later in the week do you think this is ok?

Thanks!

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    It should be okay as long as you're not constantly netting under 1200. Sometimes I look at weekly goals instead of daily.
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Considering you are 4 11, its probably fine to go under 1200 more often than average folks. I'd probably stick above 1000 though. And zig sagging your calores is good if its helping you :)
    I do it and its worked well for me.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Its fine.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    In my opinion yes. I know that there will be some difference, but think that the benefit you gain from being able to socialize and eat a bit more on the weekends, outweighs it. The big question should be , are you losing weight? Because if you are and you are satisfied with your rate of loss, then continue on. If not, then that is one factor that you could look at. I personally do not believe that 1200 is some magic number.
  • samiejones1
    samiejones1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your super quick responses!

I am loosing on this and not starving myself etc, and never go below 1000. like another poster said its so I am able to enjoy myself a little more with friends of a weekend! Especially when my boyfriend is actually trying to gain weight it's a challenge!

I wasn't worried but everyone glorifies 1200 as a magic number that you will suddenly keel over if you eat 1199 one day!

Am very happy with my results so far and am proud of what I have achieved so will not worry at all and just keep plodding along as usual!

Thanks!
  • HarrisonAR
    HarrisonAR Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't think that 1000 is enough to sustain a healthy weight. I also think that under eating so you can over eat is very unhealthy. In my opinion.
  • knt6742
    knt6742 Posts: 36
    Options
    I don't think that 1000 is enough to sustain a healthy weight. I also think that under eating so you can over eat is very unhealthy. In my opinion.

I have to say that I don't think this is the case in this situation. I would hardly call 1500 calories overeating. Trimming off a little on the weekdays so you can enjoy a treat on the weekends is fine.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Sustaining would mean that the OP wants to maintain her current weight. Pretty sure that isn't her goal. Like at all.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    The concept is fine but if you have to go under 1200 I don't think it's okay for you.
    You still need a reasonable amount of calories to go through your daily activities (such as cleaning, studying, and other light activities you do in your everyday life); you body doesn't count calories on weekly basis so it's still going to feel deprived if you undereat for a certain number of days in a row. I'd suggest you to still eat at least 1200 on those days and then maybe more during the weekend, I'm sure you'll still see a loss.

Also, you didn't tell us your BMR - I guess it's not less than 1200, so I'd not suggest you to eat under your BMR anyway
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    The concept is fine but if you have to go under 1200 I don't think it's okay for you.
    You still need a reasonable amount of calories to go through your daily activities (such as cleaning, studying, and other light activities you do in your everyday life); you body doesn't count calories on weekly basis so it's still going to feel deprived if you undereat for a certain number of days in a row. I'd suggest you to still eat at least 1200 on those days and then maybe more during the weekend, I'm sure you'll still see a loss.

Also, you didn't tell us your BMR - I guess it's not less than 1200, so I'd not suggest you to eat under your BMR anyway

She is a sedentary short female. Guesstimating her weight by how much she wants to lose at about 145lbs, her TDEE would be around 1700. 1700-500cals for a 1lb loss per week would be 1200.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    She is a sedentary short female. Guesstimating her weight by how much she wants to lose at about 145lbs, her TDEE would be around 1700. 1700-500cals for a 1lb loss per week would be 1200.

That's why I asked for her stats and her BMR

edit: in her first post on the forum she said she's 130 lbs and 25 of age, so her BMR should be 1380 kcals (I used an online calculator).

OP sorry if I went through your posts, I'd still advice you to eat no less than 1200 but it's up to you.
  • heatheremde
    heatheremde Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says that going under 1200 is not okay is not taking your height into consideration. I am a foot taller than you and I am told the same thing 'don't go under 1200'. How could it possibly be the same for both of us. Do what is right for you, if you are hungry often you may need to eat more, but you can make that call when you get there.