Bugs? Chafing?

Options
Just a fun and gross story- today I went on a 5.5 mile walk/jog to downtown and back, and I ended up swallowing a bug. I hope I'm not the only person out there who accidentally swallows bugs while running! I wasn't carrying water with me, so I just had to swallow it (I tried spitting it out and coughing it up- neither worked.)

But anyway, I was wondering what any of you do to prevent chafing on your inner thighs? My friend suggested underarmor to wear underneath my shorts or just putting lotion on that area before working out (but I don't really want to attract any more bugs..)

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    There is a product called Bodyglide sold in running stores for "chubrub" (no offense!) and to stop nipples chafing. I have used it in both areas and it works beautifully.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Never swallowed a bug, I'd barf lol. I have had bad chub rub but I find if I hike my pants up high, then my skin doesn't touch so it doesn't bother me. I can't wear shorts while running at my weight. I get it more when I wear skirts/dresses and I find a liberal amount of baby powder put down there stops the worst of the chafing. I think lotion makes it worse!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    There is a product called Bodyglide sold in running stores for "chubrub" (no offense!) and to stop nipples chafing. I have used it in both areas and it works beautifully.

Yea this, I use Gold Bond Friction Defense which is a very similar product. Works perfectly
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I use aquaphor. Body glide is a unitasker. I've already got tubs of aquaphor around for my daughter's skin issues, so i use that. After the fact I use triple paste diaper rash cream to heal the area (sometimes I forget aquaphor first).
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Body Glide is expensive. Lanacane sells an anti-chafing gel that I have found works very well.

Oh yes, I have definitely swallowed a few bugs in my day! I log them.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I've had a few bugs fly right into my mouth. I did everything I could one time to get it out (it was stuck in my throat) and I had to just swallow.

As far as chafing...I wear tight fitting capris or leggings. I don't get chaffing because its fabric to fabric and not skin to skin. Try that?
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I managed to inhale a gnat yesterday. I've had them fly into my mouth before, which is disgusting, but actually going up my nose was so much worse!

As for chafing, I've never had that problem. A friend who does have issues just uses Vaseline and gets on fine with that. Cheap and cheerful.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Body glide is okay but compression shorts, tights, or compression underwear is what really works for me. I've done the bug thing too. What's really fun is when the tiny little gnats get plastered all over your face, drowning in your sweat. Good times!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    (snip)
    Oh yes, I have definitely swallowed a few bugs in my day! I log them.

LMAO!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I wear yoga pants for the chaffing.

And LOL! re: logging bugs... Bet that helps your protein intake. :D
  • ncrugbyprop
    ncrugbyprop Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Body glide is okay but compression shorts, tights, or compression underwear is what really works for me. I've done the bug thing too. What's really fun is when the tiny little gnats get plastered all over your face, drowning in your sweat. Good times!

I second compression shorts, tights, ect. as the best defense. You can use cornstarch or apply some stick deoderrant to the chafing areas for a quick household remedy.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run in compression running pants most of the time, but if I'm running on the beach, I use body glide. It seems to hold up to salt water pretty well. I also use it on scars that rub against clothing.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I wear compression shorts that are long enough to hit about mid-thigh so it covers the part that rubs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cyclists use chammois cream to prevent chafing - cyclists also swallow flies!

The food database contains an entry for "House - Fly" but think the protein is over-stated.
    :smile:
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Try rubbing your deoderant where you have chafing. You already have it at home and it helps keep you dry too
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Another alternative for Bodyglide is vaseline. While these options work for me for other areas, I have not found any product like that that will work for the thigh thing for longer runs. I sweat a lot so it probably rubs off too quickly.
    Even after losing weight, I still had some issues, but not as bad, mostly just for longer runs.
    I typically where capri tights for longer runs. I haven't found a great pair of compression shorts that are long enough, don't ride up and don't totally contrict at my waist.
    There have been the odd pair of shorts that I have found that also work (all Lululemon brand) but mostly I just run in capris.

And yes, I have eaten flies.
  • EreborsPrincess
    Options
    Monistat also makes an anti-chafing gel. Oddly enough, its ingredients are also very similar to Smashbox make-up primer (or so my friend tells me). It's in the "mysterious lady products" aisle and I think it runs around $5-6 a tube.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Monistat also makes an anti-chafing gel. Oddly enough, its ingredients are also very similar to Smashbox make-up primer (or so my friend tells me). It's in the "mysterious lady products" aisle and I think it runs around $5-6 a tube.

That is the second time I have heard this - both on this site. The other person who mentioned it actually uses it as a primer.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Once when hiking in Wyoming I INHALED a bug. It was disgusting and I couldn't get it up/out/whatever. I guess I am ok though, because it was 20+ years ago.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I've definitely eaten my fair share of bugs. Up my nose... down my throat... they've even got stuck in my eye before, which is uniquely painful.

As far as chafing goes: I switched from regular running shorts to mid-thigh length spandex-y shorts. Just make sure they aren't half see-through! But before that, I put on body glide all over my thighs and it worked well. I just got tired of doing that every day and invested in some longer shorts instead.