Running Watches

Options
Sweettart
Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
I am looking into getting a running watch and wondering what one you use or like. Right now I am leaning towards the Garnin Forerunner 10

Replies

• One2Run
    One2Run Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love Garmin. I have the 610 and love it. Keep in mind what your future plans are. If you think you will be wanting more out of your Garmin later on, go as high as you can now. It's all about what bells and whistles you want.

Happy running! (Or walking)
  • Sweettart
    Options
    Im looking for pace and distance
  • RaluKitty
    RaluKitty Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've had the Garmin 210 for over a year and I love it. You get pace, distance, heart rate and much more. You can find an excellent review here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/12/garmin-forerunner-210-in-depth-review.html

Plus if you scroll down in the post and buy it from Clever Training, there is a code to get 10% off from this great blogger. Plus free shipping... and I paid no sales tax as I usually do in WA. I actually think you can use the promo code for the entire cart... so maybe another GPS watch will work too :)
  • RaluKitty
    RaluKitty Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    BTW, I have this baby - dark grey with teal and flower scrolls... oh my! And yes, HRM strap too: http://www.clevertraining.com/p-3395-garmin-forerunner-210-womens-teal-gps-watch-with-heart-rate-monitor.aspx
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 10 and I love it. It does exactly what I need and that is tell me how far I've gone, and how fast I've done it! I can also switch to a screen that does time/pace which I use for intervals.

And I live in a built up area and have never had any issues with it picking up a satellite so I definitely recommend it.

Yes I might need something more advanced in a year or so when I'm much more serious about my training, but for now this works, and when I get to the point when I feel I need more, I can just sell this one and get a new one!
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't think the Forerunner 10 gives current pace .... only the pace of the last mile so if you're relying on using it to constantly check your pace, it might not be sufficient.

I'm still on my sturdy Forerunner 205 and I have my eyes glued to it to make small adjustments in order to maintain my desired pace. This is particularly important to me during longer distances and was invaluable for my recent Marathon.

Sure - if cost is a factor - the Forerunner 10 will get you started. .... but if you're able to stretch that bit further, then the 610 or 220 seem to be the current "gold standard" by which all others are measured :-)
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have the NikePlus and love it!
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've had the ForeRunner 405 CX for two years now. I got it for a tremendously low price at Costco.

It works perfect! It calculated pace, distance, time, heart rate (very useful for interval training!). There are also many fancy features like the training buddy and the possibility to pre-establish an interval routine, during which the watch beeps to indicate a change of cycle.

I love it. I don't know how I would train without it for sure!
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have a really old Forerunner 310. I use it for cycling and running. I have never had a problem with it in the 6 years I've had it.
  • sherintn
    sherintn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the Forerunner 10 and Love it!!! It does actually give current pace so no worries here. I have been a pace leader for an interval half training group and I can set the intervals and watch my pace all at the same time. It give me the final data and I love the Garmin Connect website. I need to see elevation so that I can plan my weekly runs against the race course. I love mine!!!
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 610 with heart rate monitor & pedometer.
    Have it for 4 months and love it because it tells me that I'm running faster than my phone app would tell me otherwise.

pro:
    - it seems the GPS tracking is more accurate than phone GPS.
    - easy to check my current pace & heart rate.
    - heart rate monitor & pedometer help me understand how I do on my runs

cons:
    - elevation is not accurate. Sometimes still messed up after website adjustments.
  • Sweettart
    Options
    Thank you for your imput
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 220 (had the 210 for years) and I love that thing. I use it with the premium HR strap and it's great. Not too much as far as stats and analytics, but it displays everything I want: pace, distance, heart rate, calories burned, time, etc.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The FR10 is a good watch (my wife has one and I have a 610) - BUT is slightly limited in so much that it does not have HR Capability... which is important for me.

My 610 is about to um '' fall" under a bus and get replaced with a 220 or 620.