Need Exercise advice- ANYONE PLEASE !!

Options
nimmu87
nimmu87 Posts: 11 Member
Hi,

I'm a 26 yr old female from India, based in NY. I'm 5'9" and weigh 252 lbs. I'm trying to lose a lot of weight and get down to the 160s. I have been sticking to a <1450 cal diet and 1 hr of cardio on treadmill (inlcine 5 at 3mph) and 15 mts. of warm up exercises every morning. Losing weight would help me get rid of my depression, diabetes meds and give me the self-esteem I haven't ever had, since I was a child. I've been a vegetarian all my life.

My depression fuels the feeling that I'm not doing enough exercise- i signed up for daily burn, but 1 hr and 45 mts in total of exercise makes me so tired, I can't go to my full-time job, that is also demanding since I'm a Mechanical Engineer.

I see before and after pictures, people that have lost 45 lbs, but I've never been successful at weight loss, despite starvation and hard exercise. Please someone, share your journey with me- the number of days you exercised before noticing your body losing the weight, and please assure me that I will eventually lose wight and need not have nightmares thinking I'll never succeed. I want a look at people's exercise diaries, especially ones who have had good success- I want to look at the duration and intensity fo your exercises.

Thanks for letting me vent, guys.

-Nirupama

Replies

• Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Its calorie deficit that really creates weight loss.
    Exercise helps of course.
    There are many threads and places with lots of information.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

and another one called a guide to sexy pants.

Read them, there is lots of info.
  • hotmamajenE
    hotmamajenE Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert but what I would recommend to you Is to make sure you are staying in your recommended calorie intake level and to cut down on the amount of time you are putting in for exercise. if you are so tired that you cannot perform your job duties then you are probably doing too much. vary the types of exercises you are doing to mix it up a bit to keep your body guessing. as long as you are eating less and moving more the weight will come off. you don't gain weight overnight, it won't go away overnight. it is best to lose slowly and gradually over time anyway to help prevent lots of excess skin. good luck, stick with it and you will reach your goals. make it a goal to lose a little at a time, when you succeed, it will motivate you to continue on!
  • nimmu87
    nimmu87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow

Thank you everyone. I intellectually understand, but the depression makes me believe I will never succeed. One day at a time :)

Will do these guys. And thank you all so much for reaching out to me. I'm so grateful for your support.

Thank you for all the resources !!

-Nirupama
  • rojohnson2
    Options
    Nimmu87 you have internet so check out the Leslie Sansone videos on YouTube. They are easy to do at home in front of your TV or computer. Anything from 15 mins upwards. My own goal has been to always do something, keep the goals realistic and achieveable. There is no point in setting yourself up to fail so be wise. Good luck, you will feel so much better once you stimulate that serotonin and get those endorphins moving!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    "What one man (or woman) can do, another can do."

If you eat right & exercise, then you should lose weight. But you have to decide to DO it. When you tell yourself things like it never worked before, I'll never do this, it's too hard....those aren't good things to be telling yourself. Instead you need to tell yourself that you WILL make the right food choices, that you WILL exercise, that you WILL lose weight...and take the steps to make that happen. I'm not saying you'll never have fails, but that's what the restart button is for. But don't tell yourself that you'll start over next week, next month, on Monday, tomorrow, or whatever...start over as soon as you realize you're off track. Don't say, I've already blown it today so I may as well stuff myself & start over tomorrow.

Now, just looking at the info you've provided...I'd say your calories are too low. If you go too low your body wants to conserve the calories & it makes it harder to lose (this is a controversial topic, so there will probably be posts countering it). At your weight you should be getting at least 1600 calories/day. It's also very hard to stick to a diet when you're not eating enough calories. I'm guessing that 1450 is NOT what MFP recommended for you. Just try to increase your calories to 1600 for a couple of weeks & I think you'll see that you'll end up losing weight, probably more than when you're at 1450. Also think you'll feel better & have more energy for work & exercise if you up your calories.

On the exercise...some is better than nothing, more is usually better. Instead of using the incline on the treadmill, I'd try to increase your speed at no incline. Pyramiding or intervals is a good way to work things up. For example, start w/3 min at a very easy level, then each minute after that for 4 min increase the speed just 0.1 mph...so say you're doing 2 mph warm up, after 3 min, do 2.1 for a minute, then 2.2 for the next, 2.3 for the next, 2.4 for the next, then drop back down to 2.1 & start over again. Keep doing that for the hour (or however long you want to do it). Each day start 0.1 mph more than you did the day before. Whatever speed you're walking at now would be your warm up speed. Doing things this way, you can remind yourself, if it gets challenging that it's only for a minute or so more, then you can drop it back down. Walking is a great way to get into workouts.

Most important thing is to log your food, whether on MFP or some other way. I'm the co-leader of a First Place 4 Health group (sort of like a Christian Weight Watchers) and over & over again, I see that the ladies who are the most successful w/weight loss are the ones that are recording what they eat. In fact the last 12 week session we did, the 4 ladies who had the most weight loss were all logging on MFP.

Remember you CAN do this, if you CHOOSE to do this...no excuses, no rationalizing...just making the right decisions each time they come up. All the best in your journey.
  • laureneliset
    laureneliset Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi Nirupama

I know exactly where you are coming from! I've felt the same so many times so I'll share with you my experience and hope you can take something from it! I'm currently around 213 lbs and 5'7"

(1) I used to eat far too few calories, between 1200 and 1400. While this worked in the short term, all this did was make me feel tired and miserable and of course what eventually happened was it all became too much, I ended up bingeing and giving up. I now eat between 1600-1900. This is still a deficit for me and it's a manageable one! There are loads of websites which help you calculate how many calories you should eat. Either google "calorie calculator" or I'll let another poster recommend one as they are usually more knowledgeable on the best ones than I am.

(2) I used to exercise inefficiently. I would hit cardio machines in my lunch break and go for a run in the evening. I saw it as a necessary evil rather than enjoying it. I've now changed to High-Intensity Interval Training (such as 30 seconds sprinting, 90 seconds walking to recover, repeatedly) for 20-25 minutes 2-3 x a week (followed by 10-15 minutes stretching) and weight training for 1 hour with a trainer 2 x a week. On the weekend I go on a long hike (2-3 hours on average, sometimes longer). This way I'm burning calories and building muscle without spending too long in the gym, and now I love every workout so I'm really motivated.

(3) I changed my diet to increase my protein intake to around 40% of my calories. MFP helps me track this. This was the hardest part to change but I allowed myself a few months to learn to build my meals around protein. It's still a bit of a work in progress but I'm getting there!!

My results - in the past few months 7kg of fat lost and 3kg of muscle gained. I look better and feel better, my moods have improved and I used to dread the gym but now I love it. The key thing I learned was to be patient and not beat myself up about the setbacks.

Good luck and be excited, you're going to make some great changes, it WILL happen and I hope you enjoy the journey!
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I lost over 60 lbs, but did it over a year or so. I did it simply by counting calories and exercising (cardio). The more I lost, the easier it was to do the cardio, so now I'm at my goal weight and training for a marathon. But I'm still using this website to track my information.

The only suggestion I have besides continuing what you are doing is that you can manually adjust the calorie goal that MFP gives you. If you go a week or two counting calories accurately and exercising, and you find that you are not losing weight, drop the calorie goal by 100. Now that I'm in my "maintenance" phase, MFP calculated that I need 2300 net calories a day. After some experimentation, I found that 2300 net calories per day made me slowly gain weight, but if I stuck to 1900 or 2000 per day, I stay steady.

Everyone's body is different, and MFP is good, but you may have to make adjustments.
  • lovejulez03
    lovejulez03 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I too suffar from major depression which I refuse to take pills for because of the side effects. I agree with a previous comment that if you're that tired you are doing too much... Or not refueling your body with the right stuff. Check with your doctor about vitamins..it's not that they'll make you lose weight but perhaps you need some b vitamins etc. I lost 40 lbs and gained 30 back because I let myself use my depression as an excuse. Do not use that as an excuse..I PROMISE that if you keep at it and go through trial and error you will lose weight. Plus if you're diabetic like I am it may be a little harder for the lbs to come off because your body's insulin and sugar levels are out of whack. But that doesn't mean it's impossible. I got in a cycle where id eat junk or not exercise for a well and get depressed and feel lethargic...so then I didn't want to exercise because I felt so lathargic and down. It's a vicious cycle. You got this! It definitely takes hard work and determination. And don't get down when you have a bad day.

Start walking...get some dumbbells and do some strength training.. feeling stronger will make you feel successful as well :)

Add me if youd like.

I also do Just Dance for cardio when I get bored of walking and other things...it's fun!