Stress?

Options
Looking for feedback & information on the impact of stress on weight loss. I get and agree with the whole need a deficit to lose weight and eating only calories of crap may work but you would feel like crap......so my question is, does too much stress prevent or inhibit weight loss? Are there other factors relating to stress (hormones) that play a role? Is it different for women? Opinions??? Personal Experience??? Science???
thanks!

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    It can definitely affect weightloss. It is a survival mechanism. When the world stresses you, your body tries to conserve.

Can it STOP weightloss? Not if you have a decent calorie deficit, but it can slow it a little.
  • pilotkw
    pilotkw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, stress can affect you losing weight. I know it has been hard for me. I think we need to get outside in the sunshine, take walks on breaks at work and remember how to laugh (watch funny movies or something). Also having a network of friends is essential. Hopefully friends you can exercise with, go to the gym or beach with, hike or walk. Best wishes as we go through this journey.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes stress can mask weight loss with water retention esp in women.

If cortisol levels are too high from stress it can cause women esp to retain water therefore masking weight loss...

Once those levels drop (as the stress drops) the water leaves and wham weight loss ( which really was happening but was masked)

Even if you are in a "true" deficet weight loss can be hidden.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I can't say it with any scientific backing/support but personally I notice that weeks when I am severely stressed I:
    1. Get less sleep
    2. Tired all the time
    3. Work out less
    4. When I do workout, I am very inefficient. My burns are normally 300-350 cals for a 30 minute run...when I am stressed its hard to get to 250 cals.
    5. Eat the same amount or more (stress eating)

So basically...if I am eating the same amount as I normally do even when my burns are less significant, my deficit is less.

Less calorie deficit = less weight loss.
  • PS85UK
    PS85UK Posts: 6
    Options
    I'd like to add that the way you cope with stress probably plays a role as well. Some people eat more when they're stressed, others lose appetite or even forget to eat. That can mess up your metabolism in the longer term. It's certainly a factor in my weight history. I lose weight easily when I'm stressed and busy, but after extremely busy and/or stressful periods, I gain weight due to my body being deprived of proper nutrition and my emotional eating being in full swing (i.e. food as a reward or just to fight boredom).
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I can't say it with any scientific backing/support but personally I notice that weeks when I am severely stressed I:
    1. Get less sleep
    2. Tired all the time
    3. Work out less
    4. When I do workout, I am very inefficient. My burns are normally 300-350 cals for a 30 minute run...when I am stressed its hard to get to 250 cals.
    5. Eat the same amount or more (stress eating)

So basically...if I am eating the same amount as I normally do even when my burns are less significant, my deficit is less.

Less calorie deficit = less weight loss.

Similar experience. I don't get enough sleep. Lack of sleep leads to being less disciplined or caring about fitness and nutrition. So not only am I not getting up in the morning to work out. I'm more likely to say: "Ahh screw it" and grab a beer or something else I don't really need. (which in turn stresses me out because i know I'm not doing what I need to be doing to reach my goals.)

I think the two scenarios above are more likely why stress inhibits weight loss as opposed to your body changing the way it processes energy. It takes a some self awareness to notice these things. If you're self aware you can combat some of the effects of stress.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for sharing your insight & support.
  • marylynndrake
    marylynndrake Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My husband has chronic severe stress and he has been working with a trainer to get fit. Despite a calorie deficit and exercise, the trainer wasn't seeing the results he expected and inquired about stress. Cortisol is emitted when the body is stressed and this, among other things, makes the fascia, the tissue between your muscles and skin, tighter and can inhibit weight loss. The trainer shared some information about fascia, began starting my husband's training sessions with fascia-releasing exercises and the weight has been coming off. Here is an article the trainer shared: http://www.menshealth.co.uk/lose-weight/burn-fat/burn-fat-with-morning-stretches
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    yes - stress can hide or lessen weight loss

BUT excercise can help reduce stress
    and my weight and it's effect on my health are just some of the things that add to my stress - can you see the vicious circle?

it took me a while - I can't change the external stressors in my life, but I can do my best to get fitter and healthier and manage my diet appropriately at a small deficit for progressive weightloss

and guess what? seeing hte numbers go down on the scale makes me feel better and lowers my stress :)