That one co-worker......

Options
reddz12
reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
I'm sure that I'm not the only one out there who has that one co-worker who butts into every conversation, knows a little about everything and alot about nothing and everything under the sun has either happened to them or someone in their family. Right?

Well normally I let it go, I know she just wants friends, but now she is taking it too far. She's noticed my weight loss and being passive aggressive malicious. Now this particular person has had a personal trainer for YEARS and I've noticed her only getting bigger, while i'm munching a homemade salad in the caf shes's coming back with some fast food she just picked up. However when someone near her makes a comment asking about how much I've lost she runs right over to tell me about how her trainer is telling her she's clearly lost inches but no weight. (women notice everything and if she has, i'd be happy for her, but at this point it is getting annoying)

I will then find her behind me at my desk as I'm logging my food guzzling a soda if she see's me in the hall, she'll make sure to mention that I should be taking the stairs ( which I always do) Today, it went a step further... and I almost lost it on her.. comes up to me in the bathroom and pulls the elastic waist from her jeans away from her stomach and asks me if I can do that because its such a good feeling. I was speechless. I don't want to tell her that I do not want her diet or workout advice as clearly if she had the gumption to do it, she wouldn't be where she is.

I've asked if she'd like to meet me at the gym her answer is that I go too early and she won't shower there because it's dirty. I don't understand how some people clearly have no drive to get to where they want to be but then lie about the position their in.

I'm sorry for the rant and I am now done. Just really needed to get that off my chest and see how some of you deal as well!

Replies

• rj113
    rj113 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you have to interact with her a lot for work? If not, I'd avoid her as much as possible. If you do see her often and have to work directly with her, I'd suggest just being honest with her. Tell her you appreciate at her attempt at giving you advice, but that you feel more comfortable doing your own thing.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of my favorite quotes that might help you in this situation.

1).A lion doesn't concern himself ( herself) with the opinions of a sheep.
    2). Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to the great.
  • waluouija
    waluouija Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Lmao she sounds hilariously clueless. Sorry that she's been bothering you so much, though. That must be really annoying to have to put up with.
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    @toughmudder I LOVE the second one :-)

and unfortunately, I do not have to interact with her for work but she does come to me alot, because she's "clueless" or at least plays it well, I feel bad being a total jerk to her, however.... I really think I'm getting to the end of my rope. :noway:
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    @toughmudder I LOVE the second one :-)

and unfortunately, I do not have to interact with her for work but she does come to me alot, because she's "clueless" or at least plays it well, I feel bad being a total jerk to her, however.... I really think I'm getting to the end of my rope. :noway:

1. Do not feed the Troll
    2. A polite conversation is the toll you have to pay to get past her
    3. Ask her to go on a run with you, when you are on a bridge, push her off because that is clearly where she should be living.

Seriously though, get yourself a picture of a troll and every time she does talk to you you can have a little laugh in private.

Just one old man's opinion....

(edited for grammer)
  • KatieLouWho19
    KatieLouWho19 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I am with the "old man"

I have that one co-worker who has a treadmill in her garage with a TV in front of it.... she always says how she needs to lose weight like I have been... but she makes 500 excuses as to why she can't workout. I take my bra off at the door when I get home then I don't feel like getting dressed again. or It's too hott or it's too cold... :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: Always that ONE person... MEH!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    1).A lion doesn't concern himself ( herself) with the opinions of a sheep.
    2). Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to the great.

I love the first quote.

You know, if you just ignore her idiocy, maybe she'll find another target. I know you hate to throw another co-worker under the bus but I'm guessing you all have to take your turns.

Or, you could plant contraband in her desk and make an anonymous phone call . . .

iiNj0qV.gif
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    pulls the elastic waist from her jeans away from her stomach and asks me if I can do that because its such a good feeling.

Elastic is meant to stretch.
    Not impressed.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    pulls the elastic waist from her jeans away from her stomach and asks me if I can do that because its such a good feeling.

Elastic is meant to stretch.
    Not impressed.

^^ I was thinking exactly this as I read that she pulled the elastic waist.... it would be way more impressive if she was wearing real jeans!
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I love these people! Yes I have one coworker who does this constantly to me as well... Just ignore her because she is clearly trying to get to you... Either that or let me off my leash and I will bite her! (and yes my mfp pals can vouch for me lol)
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I love these people! Yes I have one coworker who does this constantly to me as well... Just ignore her because she is clearly trying to get to you... Either that or let me off my leash and I will bite her! (and yes my mfp pals can vouch for me lol)

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!
  • tomorrowstrength
    Options
    I have one of these... she told me that if it hurts after leg day, then I'm doing it all wrong, and her PT said it shouldn't hurt. I tried to explain DOMS but apparently that's just a sign of poor form... smile and nod.. just smile and nod.
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    all bark

Possibly.... depends on if I forget my muzzle at home lol
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    OP, I appreciate your having been kind and non-confrontational, but this woman needs to be put in her place. Maybe she doesn't realize how obnoxious she's being? Or perhaps she does and gets off on it? Either way, I think you should bluntly tell her that what you're doing seems to be working just fine, and if she's like any help or advice, you'd be happy to help. And any comment by her thereafter should be met with snark and a smile. "But it's elastic. It's supposed to do that"
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    OP, I appreciate your having been kind and non-confrontational, but this woman needs to be put in her place. Maybe she doesn't realize how obnoxious she's being? Or perhaps she does and gets off on it? Either way, I think you should bluntly tell her that what you're doing seems to be working just fine, and if she's like any help or advice, you'd be happy to help. And any comment by her thereafter should be met with snark and a smile. "But it's elastic. It's supposed to do that"

^^^^^^THIS!!!!

Nothing a good attitude slinging won't fix lol.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I had a co-worker like that. I think if I were you I'd just look at her without saying a word then burst into hysterical laughter. Just be careful exactly what you say to her...people like her are dangerous. They are so good at manipulating that she will be able to turn it around to make herself the victim and you the bully.
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    The only true solution to this issue is a throat punch. What a coincidence, it just happens to be Throat Punch Thursday

Screen-shot-2011-04-09-at-2.17.18-AM.png
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am the type of person who is very nice and polite...to a point.

This woman has crossed a few lines, though.

I would tell her in a VERY direct manner that she was being rude (especially comments about you taking the stairs, and pulling her pants away from her waist and saying "can you do this?" etc). There would be NO mistake about it that I did not want her in my business. Of course I wouldn't be threatening or curse at her...I would keep up a professional demeanor since it's the workplace...but she would know that we were not *friends* after I spoke with her.

That's what I would recommend doing if it gets worse.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    she probably wants you to validate her lying to herself because you are seen as the one who is making progress and have the will power ...

some people are perfectly content with lying to themselves about alot of things.