Supplements

Options
hmg90
hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
Do you take any supplements?

I'm not talking about diet pills obviously, just extra stuff you might benefit from.

Most experts are saying that vitamins are nonsense and that most people get what they need from food and that the body doesn't absorb any more. I've always believed this, and I've always eaten quite varied, no junk food, a lot of vegetables. So my supplements have only extended to;
- Fish oil / omega 3
- Iron pills a couple of days after donating blood

Extra omega 3 I've seen recommended by many, many doctors and my and my sister got liquid cod oil every day growing up.
Lately I've also started taking Inositol to help against stress and anxieties.

There are some things that are recommended, such as L carnitine and Raspberry Ketones. While these are useful aids I don't know if they make a difference.

Just to state it again: I do NOT believe in shortcuts, diet pills or miracles. I am merely asking what people are taking to maximise their health and wellbeing.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    No...unless you count protein powder in occasional smoothies.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I take my multivitamins and a couple of Tums for calcium daily. I'll work in some protein powder on days that my food alone doesn't quite get me to my protein goal.
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    The supplement industry as a whole is rife with problems. Of course, some brands are better than others but studies have shown that a huge percentage of supplements don't contain what the labels claim, may contain other "ingredients" that may have their own side effects, and could even illegally contain pharmaceutical-grade drugs that are supposed to only be available by prescription, just to name a few of the issues.

If you are eating a wide variety of foods without excluding any food groups, you "should" be getting all of the nutrients that you need. If you are exercising at a high level, you could be depleting some of them more so than others.

Multivitamins can help replace some of what people aren't getting from their diet, but they are likely to also be overdoing those that you don't actually need.

My advice is to get tested to see if you actually have any deficiencies before adding a supplement, and then only supplementing those that you actually need - and to try to increase levels through what you eat as well.

Otherwise, moderation would be the key. Just about every supplement out there can be taken to excess and many of them have their own side effects, be it from the supplement itself, or from the source of the nutrient originally.

A couple of examples of production problems.

Kelp supplements for iodine contain pollutants from the water in which the kelp was growing, such as high levels of arsenic. Side effects can include the kidney and thyroid issues from the iodine itself, or digestive and cognitive issues from the toxins in the kelp.

Our demand for omega 3 supplements is causing the population of a species of small fish called the Menhaden to be overfished to such and extreme that their numbers have plummeted in really scary ways, 88% in the past 25 years. This is a one of those fish that is food for just about every larger fish in the Chesapeake bay area which means that we're not only losing menhaden, but all of the other fish up and down the Atlantic coast as well. I'd much rather be able to buy and cook a piece of flounder, grouper, herring, snapper, or sea bass than have an over processed supplement added to my breakfast cereal.

If you google "unapproved pharmaceuticals and supplements" you'll get a whole list of products that google won't even link you to because of legal issues. Add the word "news" to that search and you'll find news reports of supplement products being seized and companies being shut down because of controlled substances ending up in their supplement products, many of those being targeted at the weight loss consumer.

So before taking supplements or even buying some fortified foods, I'd do more research and see if you really want to go there.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Rasberry Ketones=useless bullfeces.

While the supp industry may have some shady companies, there are many that have well-documented and tested high levels of purity.

I use:

Fish oil
    Vit. D,C
    Calcium
    Fiber
    creatine (which isn't a steroid)
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I take fish oil but that's it, and honestly I forget it more often than I take it.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin.
    Mainly because I am still taking slow steps to improving my food selection.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Fish Oil
    MultiVit
    Vitamin D
    Creatine

That's it for me. I know MultiVitamins are a controversial topic, but I don't rely on them to hit my micros, more of a cheap failsafe while I am in a deficit.

For supplement info I strongly recommend Examine.com A great (and free) site that lets you search for any (or at least most) supplements.

From their site:

Examine.com is an independent encyclopedia on supplementation and nutrition. We are not affiliated in any way with any supplement company.

Founded in early 2011, we have one goal - to be the unbiased source for supplements and nutrition. We have spent thousands of hours collating the latest scientific research.

This site is run by editors who examine primary research. Users are encouraged to submit corrections and any research we may have missed.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin D in the winter months. I live in Canada and we don't get a whole lot of sunshine during the winter
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Although I do eat a fairly well-rounded diet, I do continue to take a multivitamin. I have seen that some studies show that they have little to no benefit, however, I will continue to take one until there is more concrete evidence. I figure that at worst, I am simply wasting my money.

From time to time, I do experiment with supplements. I have taken:

Folic Acid for Metabolism Support - Didn't notice a difference, so I stopped taking them

Acai Berry Supplements for Skin - Acne seemed to get better while taking, but they are fairly expensive

Cranberry Supplements for UTI - These work. I had a re-occurring UTI for months until I started taking these. I am not taking them any longer, but I will if I ever have that problem agIN.

Fiber Supplements - These work, but I only use them if I feel I am not eating well. Usually only after a day of low nutritional value.

30 Day Diet Supplements (Lychee Fruit, African Mango, Raspberry Ketones, Caffeine) - These are good quality, all natural supplements. I have noticed increased energy, but no weight loss benefits. Likely due to caffeine.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Multi Vit
    Vit d
    Fish Oil for Omega 3
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I admit I take a whole pile of supplements, probably as a way to ward off taking worse things, like statins and bone replacement drugs in the near future.

I take a women's multivitamin daily that has calcium because I can't assume I'm going to get all my nutrients every day. I think these studies that say vitamins are worthless might mean they are worthless if you have a perfect diet, but we don't all have perfect diets every day. For instance, yesterday I was busy all day teaching and had a night meeting and didn't eat a single vegetable.

I also take fish oil daily and a B complex with niacin for cholesterol, as well as a baby aspirin If I don't eat dairy, I'll also take an additional calcium supplement to get up to the 1200 mg required for my age, but if I have a yogurt or milk, then I skip that. I've been taking glucosamine for years for joint pain, but my husband says that studies show it's worthless; however, I bought two bottles a while ago, so I'm taking it until it's used up since it doesn't seem to have side effects.

We can complain about the supplement industry, but big pharma would rather have me shell out hundreds a month for stains and Boniva than a hundred every 6-9 months to restock my vitamin supply.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin in winter and at times of high workload/stress when I tend to go down with bugs. If i feel like i'm going down with something I take vitC+iron

On doctors advice I take glucosamine & chondroitin for my joint (i'm hypermobile) and fish oils.

I wouldn't have taken them without the doc suggesting it (i'm a sceptic)
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I take SAMe. I take it to help level out my moods. And if I forget it for a few days... I sure do notice a difference. SAMe + regular exercise + eating veggies = a happy Sherri. I've also started taking a B complex. I read somewhere the B's are good for mood, too. And they are water soluble, so you just pee out the excess.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    For supplement info I strongly recommend Examine.com A great (and free) site that lets you search for any (or at least most) supplements.

Thank you! That is a neat website.