Help finding best weight loss diet

Options
Hi everyone

I am trying hard to lose weight. I was thin in past and to maintain my weight I developed eating disorders I was anorexic and bulimic . I had therapy and I now eat right but I have gained weight and need to lose 30 pounds.

I dont eat junk food, no frozen processed foods, no sodas and juices with preservatives. I eat boiled and raw vegetables and healthy food. My only problem is my addiction for sugar (help :) cant seem to get rid of it ). I am new to this platform please suggest me with the best and effective diet so that I can lose weight but this time through a healthy diet plan.

And another question my current calorie goal is 1200 which according to some friends is too low. Please tell me if its safe to eat 1200 calories or not?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you've previously suffered fro EDs I would consult your doctor and get them to refer you to a dietitian.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you've previously suffered fro EDs I would consult your doctor and get them to refer you to a dietitian.

Agreed! Sounds like you are on the right track though. Make healthy choices and take it one day at a time. This is a lifestyle! Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I am trying hard to lose weight. I was thin in past and to maintain my weight I developed eating disorders I was anorexic and bulimic . I had therapy and I now eat right but I have gained weight and need to lose 30 pounds.

I dont eat junk food, no frozen processed foods, no sodas and juices with preservatives. I eat boiled and raw vegetables and healthy food. My only problem is my addiction for sugar (help :) cant seem to get rid of it ). I am new to this platform please suggest me with the best and effective diet so that I can lose weight but this time through a healthy diet plan.

And another question my current calorie goal is 1200 which according to some friends is too low. Please tell me if its safe to eat 1200 calories or not?

1200 Calories (before exercise) is MFP's lowest default number......not a statement of how much anyone "should" eat.

BMR - basal metabolic rate.............this is the number of calories your body would use if you stayed in bed all day. This number is based on height, weight, gender, age......this is a number personalized to the individual.......1200 is NOT personal.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options

This Indeed. But be advised, it will be a lifestyle change, not a diet.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options

please do this
    please do not limit yourself to 1200 calories
    please seek adivce from a professional who will set an appropriate weight target and loss rate for you *if* you need to lose weight

at my height there is a 41lb range within the healthy range (bigger than I expected)
    please try to focus on health rather than weight
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I'm in recovery from an ED. I'm deep in recovery but I still see a therapist twice a month and regular doctor once a month. We all work together as a team to talk about food plans and track my progress. If you're actively struggling with this, I would advise working with professionals to (a) get support and (b) work on a lifestyle plan that makes you feel good, helps you lose weight and manage your sugar issue in a sustainable way.
  • sulavv
    sulavv Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't limit yourself to 1200 calories. I'd say, eat less, multiple times a day, drink lots of water. Sugar is not going to hurt you if you exercise enough. Don't let your sugar intake be too high though. Get some healthy recipes, I found some on this site, http://myweightlossproducts.us/. Just don't starve. Keep eating.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Increasing my fruit intake has nearly eliminated my usual dessert cravings. I don't worry about sugar in fresh fruit (frozen is fine too as long as it's unsweetened).

ED's take a long time to recover from. I hope you continue to see your doctor to help stay in balance. A dietitian that is aware of your history is also important to maintain health. Brightest blessings and good luck to you!
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I'm in recovery from an ED. I'm deep in recovery but I still see a therapist twice a month and regular doctor once a month. We all work together as a team to talk about food plans and track my progress. If you're actively struggling with this, I would advise working with professionals to (a) get support and (b) work on a lifestyle plan that makes you feel good, helps you lose weight and manage your sugar issue in a sustainable way.

Seeing as how this poster has been there I would take her advice. Good luck!