Butter and Margarine

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/study-questions-fat-and-heart-disease-link/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Here is an interesting and current article about fat and heart disease if anyone wants to read more. I try to follow the rule that the less processed a food is the better, so I go with butter. All of my lab work came back perfect at my last health screening (LDL, HDL, cholesterol and what not) and I eat a LOT of fat in my diet, from animal sources, dairy and nuts. I also exercise and am fairly young so there is that, but so far so good. It just bothers me that people are still afraid of eating fat. You NEED fat for a healthy brain and body.

Actually, that article isn't all that current. That study had to be republished due to errors and does not fair well with peer review.

http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2014/03/scientists-fix-errors-controversial-paper-about-saturated-fats
    The error had little to do with saturated fat and more to do with the author stating that unsaturated fas were not any better.....that got people all pissy and upset.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    It is unfortunate that olive oil doesn't influence taste as much as butter/margarine do.

Ah, but olive oil can and does influence the taste of foods. It ranges from a very light, barely there taste to a deep, robust taste depending on the olive oil. We often use a fruity olive oil seasoned with herbs or sun dried tomatoes for dipping homemade bread in instead of using butter.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Margarine is actually a carbohydrate not a fat, which is why it works so well on bread

Geez, where do you all get this stuff? Plastic? Carbs? Nonsense!!

Ingredients from the margarine I buy: Butter (sweet cream, salt), canola oil, water, extra virgin olive oil, fish oil, plant sterols, and salt.

11g fat, 0g carbohydrates.

Canola oil is GMO.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Butter for me.
    More natural, and I will take more natural anyday. It tastes better too.
    I do not use enough to need to worry too much about it, but it goes nicely over my green beans sometimes, or on a sweet potato.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Margarine is actually a carbohydrate not a fat, which is why it works so well on bread

Ingredients from the margarine I buy: Butter (sweet cream, salt), canola oil, water, extra virgin olive oil, fish oil, plant sterols, and salt.

Canola oil is GMO.

Much of it is, yes. So?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/study-questions-fat-and-heart-disease-link/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Here is an interesting and current article about fat and heart disease if anyone wants to read more. I try to follow the rule that the less processed a food is the better, so I go with butter. All of my lab work came back perfect at my last health screening (LDL, HDL, cholesterol and what not) and I eat a LOT of fat in my diet, from animal sources, dairy and nuts. I also exercise and am fairly young so there is that, but so far so good. It just bothers me that people are still afraid of eating fat. You NEED fat for a healthy brain and body.

Actually, that article isn't all that current. That study had to be republished due to errors and does not fair well with peer review.

http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2014/03/scientists-fix-errors-controversial-paper-about-saturated-fats
    The error had little to do with saturated fat and more to do with the author stating that unsaturated fas were not any better.....that got people all pissy and upset.

Because it's an important point.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I use ghee (clarified butter). It has a high smoke point so it's great for frying/sauteing without burning. Plus, I like the flavor.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

tumblr_mb8t6iOyFH1r7zma5o2_500.gif
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    We used to use the Country Crock Lite as well and one day it was on my shopping list but the store was out so we decided for that week we'd just use the real butter we had in the fridge. I researched a comparison of the two before I put it on my next shopping list and made the decision then that we would never go back to the Country Crock tub. Real butter not only tastes better, it also doesn't have all the additives that the fake stuff has.
  • astylla
    astylla Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I was a huge fan of country crock/I can't believe it's not butter spray , etc for years. Then I started to think about what I was getting as a tradeoff for those lack of calories. My mom had always used butter and I started to wonder why I didn't.

In cooking I typically use a good brand olive oil - and account for EVERY teaspoon/tablespoon measured as well in my diary but I also use organic salted butter. For the most part any dairy at all I eat anymore must be organic and yes the fat is higher but I use so little now I never have a problem working it in.

I'm not here to say you should use this vs that - It's your choice and I am sure some even prefer one over the other in taste alone.
    To each their own.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    For the most part any dairy at all I eat anymore must be organic and yes the fat is higher but I use so little now I never have a problem working it in.

Why is the fat higher in organic butter?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Saturated fats are just fine. Here is a read on the differences between butter and margarine (which has to be modified to be a solid at room temp).

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/butter.htm

Are we really supposed to take this article and Dr. seriously? A link at the bottom of the page (http://drlwilson.com/detox_protocols.htm) leads to a host of detox products including coffee enemas, juicing and genital baths.

Which margarine is this article talking about? There are many on the market that do not contain partially hydrogenated oils, and fully hydrodenated oils are not trans fats. Some contain butter mixed with oil, or palm oil, which is solid at room temperature.

Uh oh! :blushing: Yeah, I noted the lack of references, but read the article and it seemed solid enough.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    For the most part any dairy at all I eat anymore must be organic and yes the fat is higher but I use so little now I never have a problem working it in.

Why is the fat higher in organic butter?
    Normally organic has less water content, not much mind you, but enough that it makes a difference if someone is counting calories.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Canola oil is GMO.

Much of it is, yes. So?
    I don't see a problem with GMO per se but I don't consume refined veg oils especially ones that have trans fats like canola does.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Canola oil is GMO.

Much of it is, yes. So?
    I don't see a problem with GMO per se but I don't consume refined veg oils especially ones that have trans fats like canola does.

Okay. I don't worry about trace amounts of trans fat in canola oil any more than I worry about it in meat or dairy. But to eat his own. Eat what you like.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Canola oil is GMO.

Much of it is, yes. So?

Okay. I don't worry about trace amounts of trans fat in canola oil any more than I worry about it in meat or dairy. But to eat his own. Eat what you like.
    Except the naturally occurring trans fats are not the same as the man made ones.......... If someone is consuming canola once in a while then the amount (4 to 6%) won't do too much damage but if a person is using it for their primary source that adds up to one hell of a lot of trans fats, and that is not healthy. But justify it any way you want....like you said, eat what you want.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Canola oil is GMO.

Much of it is, yes. So?

Except the naturally occurring trans fats are not the same as the man made ones.......... If someone is consuming canola once in a while then the amount (4 to 6%) won't do too much damage but if a person is using it for their primary source that adds up to one hell of a lot of trans fats, and that is not healthy. But justify it any way you want....like you said, eat what you want.

I'm not sure what you mean by "justify it". I feel no need to justify my dietary preferences.

And, if you ask nutrition or medical professionals, most would likely say that trans fat from meat or dairy can be a problem if a person eats a lot of full fat dairly or fatty meats.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Canola oil is GMO.

Much of it is, yes. So?

I'm not sure what you mean by "justify it". I feel no need to justify my dietary preferences.

And, if you ask nutrition or medical professionals, most would likely say that trans fat from meat or dairy can be a problem if a person eats a lot of full fat dairly or fatty meats.
    Well, that's conveniently vague..Which studies are those that show the trans fats in dairy and in meat are problematic.........your talking causation now, so please be specific.

It might be a good time for you to find out the difference between conjugated linoleic acids which are the naturally occurring trans fats and the hydrogenated ones makde mostly from refined polyunsaturated omega's, but I somehow doubt that will happen.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Grassfed butter all the way. Nutritious, trace minerals, natural.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Canola oil is GMO.

Much of it is, yes. So?

Well, that's conveniently vague..Which studies are those that show the trans fats in dairy and in meat are problematic.........your talking causation now, so please be specific.

It might be a good time for you to find out the difference between conjugated linoleic acids which are the naturally occurring trans fats and the hydrogenated ones makde mostly from refined polyunsaturated omega's, but I somehow doubt that will happen.

?? I wasn't talking about causation of anything.