Running watch/fitness tracker?

I have a polar heart rate monitor, but I lost the chest strap part. I wanted to research other options that might be better instead of just getting a new strap. I'm mostly looking for heart rate/calorie calculation, but the ability to time splits would also be cool, if it wasn't too terribly bulky or expensive.
What tools do you use? I'd love to hear your recommendations!

Replies

• lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    I use my Garmin FR620 to track my runs, and I use the Garmin Vivofit to track my background activity (I used to use Fitbit for this).

Activity trackers and sports watches are not interchangeable. If you want pace, splits, elevation, etc, you should invest in a GPS watch. If you run on a treadmill a lot, you can pair it with a footpod, or use one that also has an internal accelerometer.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    I use the polar FT7 but I'm out growing it. I am going to get the Garmin Forerunner 210.
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Well, if you decide to get a new chest strap, check to see if your current watch and/or your phone is compatible with the H7 strap. It has the newer bluetooth technology. I ended up buying a Polar loop because the strap doesn't work with my phone and so far it's been great. The loop is honestly nothing more than a glorified pedometer (in my opinion) if you use it w/o the strap. I mostly just use the two when I'm exercising and don't use it to assess my calories burned for the whole day.

The H7 strap is compatible with Iphone 4s or the 5's and with any Android 4.3 or better. Polar Loop app is free and also you can see your results at the Polar Flow website. You can check to see if your current watch is compatible with the strap on the polar.com site.

Hope that's helpful!
  • betteandboo
    betteandboo Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks, everyone! I don't think I'm ready to drop some serious $$ on a fancy new watch, so I just ordered a new strap. But I think I'll plan on rewarding myself with a new watch within the year.
    I appreciate the feedback!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    I love my Garmin 220, but you're right, it is pricey. Worth the investment to me, but we're all in different places. You might want to check a discount place like eBay or Craig's list. Sometimes you can find deals on totally still good watches.