Killer Triple Chocolate Muffins

Options
My wife put me to the task of finding a low cal chocolate muffin recipe... and I found it.

***WARNING***
These are extremely delicious and it would behoove you to hide them from the rest of the house, lest you only get to eat one... like this guy.

1 3/4 cup Oats
3 Egg whites
3/4 cup Unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup Unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 cup Plain greek yogurt (or regular plain low fat yogurt)
1/2 tsp Cream of tartar (or 2 tsp. vinegar)
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 cup Hot water
1/2 cup Baking stevia OR 1 cup sweetener of choice that measures like sugar 1
1/2 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil cupcake liners, or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a blender, (or food processor), mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.
Place mixture in a bowl and gently stir in 1/2 of the chocolate chips (set the rest aside). Scoop mixture into prepared muffin pans.
Place muffins tins in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove muffins from the oven (but don’t shut oven off), and distribute the other half of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
Place the muffins back into the oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.*Note, you could skip this step by putting all of the chips in the batter, and baking the muffins for 12-15 min straight, but this method gives the muffins the traditional ‘VitaTop Muffin’ look with the chocolate chips on top!
Cool muffins before removing from pan. ENJOY!!

Found on Dashingdish.com <-- gotta give credit where credit is due!

Replies

• lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Sounds delicious!

Any idea on what the calories/ macros look like?
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    in for chocolate... also, do you ahve the nutrition info on them? Thanks :smile:
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you!!

Do you have / know the nutritional info for these??
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    in for chocolate... also, do you ahve the nutrition info on them? Thanks :smile:

This is a great site. You plug in the ingredients and number of servings for ANY recipe that you have and want to know nutrition info for. Hope this helps now and in the future. :smile:

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • Lambja
    Lambja Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Sounds good
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I had to make a couple of adjustments on the site listed above (low fat yogurt picked, also 6oz of baking chocolate rather than 1/2cup of chips). End result was this. Not bad for a chocolate muffin!:

Serving Size 80 g (1 muffin)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories - 148
    Calories from Fat - 59
    Total Fat - 6.6g
    Saturated Fat - 3.6g
    Trans Fat - 0.0g
    Cholesterol - 0mg
    Sodium - 226mg
    Potassium - 232mg
    Total Carbohydrates - 20.7g
    Dietary Fiber - 4.1g
    Sugars - 7.4g
    Protein - 3.5g

Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 4% • Iron 13%

Nutrition Grade C

* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I made these a few weeks ago and while they were super tasty, they weren't that much different in calories from your average muffin.

ETA: I did use granulated sugar since I don't use stevia/other sweeteners, which probably upped the calories a smidge.
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump! My Popi will love these!
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I made these a few weeks ago and while they were super tasty, they weren't that much different in calories from your average muffin.

ETA: I did use granulated sugar since I don't use stevia/other sweeteners, which probably upped the calories a smidge.

he sugar vs stevia lowers the calories by about 30 per muffin according to that website linked above. Thats a pretty decent cut to me :)

That website rocks!! Thanks to poster above for linking it :D
  • direwolf013
    Options
    The 'average chocolate muffin' that you would buy in a store, or at a place like Panera bread runs over 400 calories per muffin. so these are a much better option. Also, I made 16 muffins from this recipe, because of my muffin pan size, so that brings them down a bit.
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try those... one day. When I know I won't be eating the whole batch.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    These sound good! I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to eat just one though... Thanks!!
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If you compare it to one you would buy at Panera or Perkins, then yeah, they're considerably lower. We don't have Panera where I live, so I was comparing it to a regular size homemade muffin instead of the "mammoth" size I've seen in other restaurants and grocery stores.

Dashing Dish is great though. Try her overnight oatmeals!