Trying To Be Healthy In An Unhealthy Environment

Options
Hey everyone, I'm Mandy.
It has been a month of working out and eating better but I find it so difficult to eat healthy,
I have school everyday and I bring my own lunch but there are times whenever my friends have get
togethers and there is usually nothing but junk food. I try to eat a small portions of the food but I find
it so difficult considering that they ALWAYS make fun of me, they think that I'm going to just give up in two months and
go back to eating crap. And whenever I'm eating my fruit they always tell me, "You workout, you can eat whatever you want." And I know that's not true! It''s really irritating sometimes, I just want them to see that eating healthy is not bad and that it's not just a fad.
They always want to hangout and they give me **** because I can't because I'm going to the gym. :yawn: :frown: :grumble:

Has this ever happened to anyone? Any advice?

Also feel free to add me! I would love new friends. :drinker:

Replies

• Elvirka_xoxo
    Elvirka_xoxo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I actually had this happened with me and best thing to tell you - it's not you who needs to change, it's them. If your friends can't support you, I don't see why you need them. Surrounding yourself with people who will actually support you is very important for changing a lifestyle. I had a friend who would always want to go out and eat at crappy places and I couldn't just say no. But I had to set my priorities straight
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hi Mandy! If you want to stay on MFP, don't admit that you're underage. ;)

Also, if your friends make fun of you, then you probably need new friends. You're putting yourself in the unhealthy environment. Find someone else to hang out with. Best of luck!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Hey Mandy,

you may not know this, but mfp terms are:
    ELIGIBILITY
    BY USING THE SERVICES, YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU ARE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD AND ARE OTHERWISE LEGALLY QUALIFIED TO ENTER INTO AND FORM CONTRACTS UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.

there are similar places more suitable for teens like sparkteens where you will be able to access more age appropriate resources
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Be honest with them. If they are true friends you can do this. Tell them very plaintly that this is your lifestyle now and you need them to support you and not make fun of you. Tell them that if they're going to make fun of you and not support you, you will not be able to spend as much time with them because you need supportive friends.

When you get together, bring healthier snacks, fruit, veggies, whatever fits your plan. Or you can try to see them in environments that don't involve food.

If they continue to make fun of you and not be supportive, find some new friends who share your healthier goals.
  • shell13b
    shell13b Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Mandy stick to your guns...one day when they are 25 and do not have the "fast" metabolism they do now they will WISH they had your control.

I myself struggle with that when I hang out with my friends (they LOVE to drink & then eat awful). I reward myself with a nice drink once a week and a bad meal...however I know how to say NO! Luckily I'm older and my friends also struggle with weight gain so they know what the deal is.

Stay strong and do NOT feel any pressure. You are doing and worrying about you. If they make fun just say come see me in 10 years :) And then you can follow up with the REMEMBER WHEN I WAS 17 AND YOU MADE FUN OF ME?!?!?!

Also, when there is a gathering take some pretzels or light popcorn for yourself. Don't forget to reward yourself but don't over do it.

Good luck & keep up the good work!
  • getfitmxndy
    getfitmxndy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    "Hey Mandy,

you may not know this, but mfp terms are:
    ELIGIBILITY
    BY USING THE SERVICES, YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU ARE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD AND ARE OTHERWISE LEGALLY QUALIFIED TO ENTER INTO AND FORM CONTRACTS UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.

there are similar places more suitable for teens like sparkteens where you will be able to access more age appropriate resources"

I'm going to be 18 soon so I don't see a problem.
    But thanks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Kids will find a way to make fun of anyone. Even the fit lean kids. Toughen up. Just do what you need to do for you and don't take the jabs personally. Smile back and say, "yeah, I know".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Kids will find a way to make fun of anyone. Even the fit lean kids. Toughen up. Just do what you need to do for you and don't take the jabs personally. Smile back and say, "yeah, I know".

I couldn't agree more with this. You need to let it roll off, kids are going to do what kids do, in the end, you probably won't have a relationship with many of them five years from now, but your relationship with yourself has to last a lifetime.

Rigger
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Ugh - I'm in this situation all too often.

It's hard being around people my age, they encourage me to eat like them, which almost always involves fast food and junk. They don't think about their health, it's not a concern to them, and they make fun of me for wanting to be healthy. It's like they see me as no fun because I am conscious of my health =/

I don't want to change their eating habits, but if they wouldn't poke fun at me, it'd be easier to make good decisions without being worried about their words. It sometimes makes me feel more comfortable eating alone, but that's not the best solution.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I have found new friends to be honest as I have gotten healthier as then we have more things in common that are good for us. I can go for a hike, or go out on a canoe trips, things that my old friends just don't want to do. I still talk to them but I do find I spend more time with people who are like minded about being healthier.