Exercise you dont "count"

Options
mclgo
mclgo Posts: 147 Member
I do plenty of activity that I don't count, but I see others doing so.
Mine include . . .
Housework
Parking far away from destinations
Climbing stairs at work
All the walking I do at work
Yardwork

What are yours?

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I only count my weight training, runs & yoga. Everything else I consider my life.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I only count strength training and running on treadmill, tabata and agree with the above poster...everything else is life.

Edit: Sorry, I do not count my workout calories either. Someone below reminded me. I use the TDEE method and subtract 15-20 percent, but basically set my daily calories at 1800. I do not know how many calories I burn on the days I do exercise. I guess if I was adding exercise calories the above physical activity is what I would count. lol
  • anewdesign
    anewdesign Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i dont count the walking i do at work, or the walk from he bus to the office.. but, i do count the walk if i make the decision to opt out of the last bus (i take three to get to the office) and walk the 10mins. i also count the walk home, if i take the bus that drops me off further from home than the other route. in essence, i count exercise i make a conscious effort to do.

but in a less wordy format. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I only count stuff I am doing that I wasn't doing while I was getting fat...

I gardened, I walked stairs at work, I did housework etc. while I was getting fat...

So I count my weight lifting and HIIT...
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I don't count most of activity as daily life.

1 day a week I do housecleaning for a family and since that is not part of my everyday schedule and is about 5 hours of cleaning I mark it as 1 hour of cleaning and say okay. I also log trail walks, weight lifting and anything at the gym.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Mine include . . .
    Housework
    Climbing stairs at work
    Yardwork

What are yours?

I tend not to count anything that I would consider routine chores. Unless, it is a pretty intensive one like hauling 1000 pounds in bags of compost, manure, garden soil from my driveway to the garden, tilling and raking it in for a couple of hours and feeling exhausted at the end of the day. Or a big snow shovel session.

Stairs, walking to lunch, walking while shopping, house cleaning, etc...does not get counted.

I suppose it depends on how one has their profile programmed in the settings. I keep mine on Sedentary and plug in my workouts...

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't count "activities" either (it's included in activity level). Walking at work (for me) couldn't be considered exercise anyway. Not near enough speed or duration to have any cardio benefit.

I think most people don't log activities, but some people need to feel as though they are doing something.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Sex :blushing:
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    In the winter I count shoveling -- especially after a huge storm and I am shoveling for a good 2 hours -- because I don't normally shovel.

Occasionally I will count house work but only when I do a BIG clean (which can take 5 hours) and I'm constantly moving and dripping sweat at the end. But typically I don't

If I help my husband stack wood I'll count that because I don't do it all the time, ditto when hauling a ton of coal (literally) into the basement.

But other than that I only count my "regular" workouts.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Mine include . . .
    Housework
    Climbing stairs at work
    Yardwork

What are yours?

I wouldn't consider any of this "exercise". Exercise is when you purposefully work out to improve your cardiovascular fitness or your strength and you work up a sweat (so I count my runs, fitness classes, dvd's, bike rides, etc). I never count things like when we got to the zoo and walk all day, even though I don't "normally" do that, it's only a few hundred calories at best, it likely barely covers any miscalculations in what I ate for the day/week when I had to estimate. When I see these things listed as "exercise", it makes me sad. Those things are life.
  • holzeeg123
    holzeeg123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My activity is set as sedentary, so I count anything I deliberately do which isn't sedentary. For example, if I was going clothes shopping with a friend, I probably wouldn't count the 30-60 mins of walking. Basically, the only exercise I do is walking the dog and running, so I count those.

Saying that, yesterday I was out all day, and worked out that I had been walking for three hours, so I counted that
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i count excercise ( swimming, cycling, hiking, walking to the pool, pilates,...)

I don't count walking round the office, climbing staris, fetching and carrying at home, gardening

i set my activity level as sedentary
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Mine include . . .
    Housework
    Climbing stairs at work
    Yardwork

What are yours?

Actually, you do probably count it...in your overall activity level which is where you should account for it.
  • jeschauvin
    Options
    I usually don't count my workout calories at all. I go to the gym 5-6 days per week and spend at least an hour working out. Sometimes cardio, mostly weight training. I used iifym calculator to figure out my TDEE and subtracted 15% for weight loss. If I find I've gotten a little out of hand with my calories for the day I'll do a little something after work like bike ridding or jogging and I'll count those calories (using a HRM) so I can eat a nice dinner.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method as well, so I keep a record of my workouts on here, but log them all as one calorie burned. It drives some people on my FL crazy.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My level is set at sedentary. Once or twice a week I do BIG cleaning jobs, like deep cleaning. I'm going up and down the stairs over and over, I'm on my hands and knees, I'm doing things I don't usually do every day. So I strap on the HRM and count that as exercise. Yeah, it takes a lot longer to burn an acceptable amount of calories, but whatever.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options

Me either! Hubby won't let me wear my HRM to figure it out!

I also don't count housework. I really only count the workouts that I'm making a conscious effort to do.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    From what I can see, those things would be part of the Activity Level that you set in MFP.
    I personally have my activity level set to Sedentay and use a FitBit to capture anything above and beyond that level.

Things like my cycle commute to and from work gets recorded as Exercise outside my set Activity Level.
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options

That's what I thought too. Lol
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Anything I do in the normal course of my day/week, I don't count.

Cleaning
    Gardening
    Laundry
    Sex
    Etc...