Gaining weight in the first week?

Options
In my early 20s I was pretty heavy, finally saw my way in my mid 20s and lost 50 pounds. I then got married and pregnant with twins and gained 50 pounds but lost all but 10-15 pounds of the baby weight without working out or really watching what I eat. My twins are now 2 years old and I can't take it anymore that I'm not as toned as I once was and my clothes are tight. I started working out and counting calories a week ago. My work outs consist of walking 2 miles a day on my lunch break (I've always done this though, this isn't new), and 45 minutes of the elliptical one day, and then a Jilian Michaels 30 min dvd the alternate days. I'm trying to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night (I'm a full time working mom so I do what I can) and I drink mainly water, no sodas, juice, coffee, etc.
I've noticed when I stepped on the scale this morning that I've actually gained almost 4 pounds in the last week. Is this normal? Has this happened with anyone else? It's just kind of discouraging....

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    The bottom line in losing weight is staying in a calorie deficit. The only way to know if you are in a calorie deficit is to weigh (with a scale), measure and log every bite. Are you doing this?

This is your first week. Patience is a big key in losing, too.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hi - fellow working mom of twins here so I feel for you!

I often gain weight when I up my exercise due to my muscles retaining water. Or if I eat a lot of sodium. Keep drinking lots of water and see if it does not come off in a few days.

Might it also be TOM? I can retain water then, too.

Hang in there - no way you gained 4 lbs in a week!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    lots of things can change the weight you read on your scale at home, time of day, what you're wearing, time of month, whether you've been to the loo prior and what you've eaten in the the previous 4-9 hours

I can gain a kilo during a single day
    i always gain weight during my period

the only "reliable" way to weigh yourself is to use the same set of scales, in the same place, at the same time, wearing hte same things,
    i weigh in the morning before getting dressed after using the loo before eating or drinking anything
    but even then there's variability of weight and bloat based on your monthlies

if you're using the scale to measure your weight, then look at the long term trend, not the day to day
    also measure (which a tape measure) as sometimes weight will stagnate but inches can be lost

if you are actually not loosing (either weight or inches) over and extended period (4-6 wks) then you are most likely either overestimating your excercise or underestimating your consumption or both
    for me getting more accurate with my weighing of consumed foods and drinks makes all the difference

also don't forget to log, drinks, alcohol, milk in tea, cooking fats, nibbles while cooking ...
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I often gain weight when I up my exercise due to my muscles retaining water. Or if I eat a lot of sodium. Keep drinking lots of water and see if it does not come off in a few days.

Me too! This is very common. My weight is currently creeping up as I've started a new workout plan, but I know it'll be back down again in a week or so.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Do you track your calories?
  • dmmiller80
    dmmiller80 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been very strict with tracking calories and portion control. It could just be that with these workouts I've woken up my muscles and they are swollen or something? I wish losing weight was as easy and mindless as putting it on! :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    The bottom line in losing weight is staying in a calorie deficit. The only way to know if you are in a calorie deficit is to weigh (with a scale), measure and log every bite. Are you doing this?

This is your first week. Patience is a big key in losing, too.
    this. I echo this.
  • GatorUA
    GatorUA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We all wish losing it was as easy as putting it on! Well said.

But I have those fluctuations as well. And what people have already said about sodium, water, exercise, poo, time of month, etc. are all reasons that we fluctuate. Look back over a month rather than a week, and you'll see a downward trend if you keep doing the right things.

And best wishes for success!