Need to get my boyfriend's support!

Options
Ok, the title might be a little misleading. Here's the whole story:

My boyfriend and I moved in together about a year ago. This time only a year ago I was really on top of my game as far as my eating habits and fitness. I lost so much weight that I had one pair of jeans that fit and they were a size 2! Then we decided to move in together and I got comfortable and began to eat what I wanted when I wanted and got super lazy. I also got a new full time job and transferred from a 2 year college to a big university. I was tired all the time and I wanted what was quick and easy to eat and I lost lots of money on fast food while gaining about 40 lbs. I have never been this big IN MY LIFE! (I know it doesn't sound like much, but I am a petite girl and my BMI is .05 points away from obese.)

Now for my boyfriend's story:

It's a similar situation. He had alsway been kind of chubby but was doing really good and lost about 30 lbs when we decided to move in together. His pants were sagging and he really started to feel good about himself, until he got comfortable like I did. Not only did he gain all the weight back, but more. Just like me. As far as BMI goes, he is considered obese.

The difference between us?

He is still comfortable and doesn't care, but I think it's time for change for the both of us. I worry about both of our health especially. He works at night and I during the dayt, so he sits at home all day and if I am not there I can't get him motivated. I don't want to sound like I am trying to force him to do anything, I am just extremely worried! It also makes it really hard for me to stay on track when I want to stay home and cook, but he wants to go get burgers. Or when I want to go work out, he wants to stay in and watch a movie. How can I get BOTH of us more motivated and support each other?

Replies

• jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome!

Now--you can't force him to get healthy if he doesn't want to do so. I understand that you're concerned about his health, but he is likely to resent you if you bug him about it being "time" for both of you to make a lifestyle change. If you're really worried, maybe try to involve him in your exercise. My husband has invited me to go hiking with him, play frisbee out in the front yard, etc. It isn't my usual exercise, but it's fun, it burns calories, and it gives us a chance to spend some extra time together. We also sometimes walk places around town instead of taking the car if we have to run errands on the weekends (not sure if your situation would permit this). Can you invest in some home workout equipment so you can work it into your day or work out while you're both watching a movie?

With regard to cooking, would it be possible for you to try to make some of the same things you like fast food-wise at home instead? For instance, we found ourselves going out for burgers a lot, but now we do that less often because we can easily make them ourselves on a George Foreman grill. You can also do fried chicken, hot dogs, BBQ, etc. at home, and it's usually a bit cheaper.

Good luck to you! I know it can be frustrating, but he'll only change if he wants to. You might just need to focus on you for now.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You can only work on you.

You can try to involve him in activities. Suggest things to do together to get you outside & moving. Go to an amusement park rather than a movie, for example. But ultimately he's an adult and responsible for himself.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You can only work on you.

You can try to involve him in activities. Suggest things to do together to get you outside & moving. Go to an amusement park rather than a movie, for example. But ultimately he's an adult and responsible for himself.

^^This worked for me.

I'm focusing on working on myself first. I'm not excluding my husband (I do most of the food preparation so unless he wants to do all his own cooking he's going to eat healthily anyway, and if I want to go for a walk he's up for it), but I'm not going to try and drag him along. I've nagged him a bit about not eating enough (that's his problem), but really it's his life, and I'm not his mother.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You can:

A) Leave him alone and accept the fact that he isn't ready/doesn't want to.

or

B) Nag him enough that he wants to move out.

Tread carefully.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Sounds like lots of married people. Weight gain is correlated to "solid" relationships for many.

You CAN'T "motivate" anyone. You can inspire them, but they have to be motivated themselves to do it.

Get yourself right. That's really all you can do that you have control over.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    If he's fine with the way he is but you aren't fine with it, your first reaction should not be to try and figure out how to motivate him to change. Your first reaction should be to decide how much you weight (no pun intended) you want put on caring about his body.

You can put it under the guise of being worried all you want, but there's obese and then there's *obese*. I don't know what his stats are and I don't want to, but at 5'9" and 205lbs I was considered obese. But if I told anyone that they all called me crazy. And it's not like I'm all muscle. My BF is in the 24% range.

How worried are you really. and how much do you just want to him to do what you want him to do? If anything, nag him for regular medical check ups. At least you have a leg to stand on there. Even fit people should have preventative check ups. If he doesn't want to do something, don't press it.

Focus on your health because that's all you have control over.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Just going by title alone - "need to get my boyfriends support" …. Are you doing this for him or you? If you are doing it for you then why do you need anyone's support other than your own? You need to change your attitude about this and think of it more as "i am doing this with or without you" … he will do his thing when he is ready. And if he doesn't like what you are doing you need to determine if you want to remain in a destructive relationship.
    Enjoy
  • eecooper
    eecooper Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation! We used to be in much better shape, but we bought a house (an incredibly stressful and time consuming process all of its own) and now we don't live around the corner from our gym anymore, and my boyfriend is now driving instead of walking to work (I still bike commute). My boyfriend wants to lose weight, but he lacks the motivation, and I can't give it to him. I'm trying to focus on myself, and maybe lead by example. I try to be clear with him about what I need to do, so if he suggests something unhealthy for dinner, I'll say "You can eat that, but I don't have enough calories left today, so I'm going to eat something else," or "Tomorrow I'm going for a run, so I can plan ahead and have enough calories tomorrow night, but I can't eat it today". I keep things positive and non-accusatory.
    Sometimes he gets annoyed that I get home much later because I go to the gym after work, but I try to make it clear that this is a priority for me, and that if wants to go to the gym together, we could work out a new schedule of going together after dinner or something. So far he hasn't taken me up on it, but I can only do what's best for me, and try to be supportive of him in whatever steps he does choose to take.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Withhold sex.

Just kidding
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP, have you actually discussed wanting to get healthier with him? Not focusing on weight, but on healthier eating so you can live longer, and assuming you two plan on having a future together, being around for each other for many more years (maybe even being there for your kids?)

I agree that continuing to talk about it is like beating a dead horse and you'll likely get more of a negative response to that than the changes you'd like to see. You're both adults - if you choose to be healthier, that's on you and there is no need for him to change. That doesn't mean he's being unsupportive either - it drives me nuts when people say that (sorry, pet peeve). My husband didn't want to change his eating habits or start exercising either but he's still one of my biggest supporters - encourages me to go for a walk/run when I want to be lazy, brags to eveyrone about my weight loss and fitness accomplishments, etc.

How about approaching it from a financial point of view. Making your own meals might not save a ton of money over fast food (as it's pretty cheap) but if you plan just right and budget, there would be enough of an impact over time. Sometimes that can save me from temptations - say I've planned to make chicken for dinner and it's all thawed out in the fridge. If Hubby wants to order pizza, I can say "sorry, I need to cook this chicken up, how about we have pizza tomorrow" and then I can budget my calories for a splurge. Sometimes I can even put pizza off for 2-3 days if I've planned that far in advance and have food that needs to be cooked or it'll go to waste.

As far as what you make - if he wants convenience, find things to make that don't take much time or even go with a lot of crock pot meals so they're ready as soon as you get home. There are tons of options out there for meals that take 30 minutes or less. And if he's just not a fan of "healthy", there are some good middle ground alternatives. We don't like ground turkey so I get the leanest ground beef I can. Hubs used to think low cal or low fat foods tasted awful (mostly a mental thing) so I'd hide the packages until he got used to them and if he balked once he saw them, I'd let him know he'd been eating that for months and never complained so obviously it's not that bad. And now he actually brags about how we're much healthier than we used to be. So, as with most changes, you may need to be patient and give it some time.

Good luck figuring it out!
  • CherrypieOmy
    Options
    As others have said, you can only take responsibility for yourself.

I'd tread carefully because taking on the responsibility for someone else's health and habits is a rough road to navigate. It will only lead to stress and heartache for you because it will be like butting your head against the wall, especially if he's not quite open to the concept.

"If you want a burger, have a burger, but I'm going to have....[insert healthy meal here]. You're more than welcome to join me."

Follow your own path. Show him it's possible to change and he may just feel inspired enough to follow behind. :)

One has to be really fed up with the BS before action takes place. He just seems happy, for the time being, doing his thing.

However, don't let it upset you. Do what's good for you and, again, he may take a page from your book.
  • SarahNicoleW94
    Options
    I have this issue too! Although my boyfriend is not overweight, he is underweight.. but eats so much bad food its unreal. He eats at totally the wrong times of the day aswell. I think he probably eats at least 3000 calories a day, 2500 of them probably being eaten after 2.30 3ish.

He wants to cook meals with full fat cream, full fat cheese.. everything full fat. He's happy with mcdonalds and never wants to work out with me.

It's so hard to stay motivated when he isn't. Also when we met he had the outline of a 6pack, now its a little pot belly!!
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Something like weight loss requires a level of commitment that can't be achieved unless a person wants it. And you can't make them want it by talking at them.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I think he probably eats at least 3000 calories a day, 2500 of them probably being eaten after 2.30 3ish.

He wants to cook meals with full fat cream, full fat cheese.. everything full fat. He's happy with mcdonalds and never wants to work out with me.

You say all that as if it were necessarily a bad thing.
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If he is working nights, and you are working days, then how come you can't get a workout in? I mean, why do you feel that he is holding you back?? You do have a mind of your own right??

He may not want to change, but that should not stop you from changing. I understand that you guys are a living in couple and stuff like this happens all the time. In my opinion, i say workout when you get home from work. exercising makes ppl happy. no excuses!! Join a support group on facebook or on here. Once he see results from you, he will get off his butt and join you.

If you are interested in 25-30 minute programs that you can do at home, inbox me.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    When he wants to he'll join you. But I can tell you right now, if you try to force him, it aint going to happen. Most likely you have other things you've tried to "change". You can't change a person into who you want to date. They have to want to change themself, if they do change for you, just for you, they'll resent you later, and you'll be all alone.

So just accept him for the way he is, or find a different boyfriend you don't have to change.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Don't read this if you are sensitive!

It sounds like you are realizing that maybe this is not your mate for life. As a person happily married to my best friend with two kids....I am reading that you want to be attractive, he doesn't care, he doesn't care if he's attractive to you, you don't like the same activities or the same food. You sound like you go along with him on things to spend time together - and they are bad for your health - and he doesn't come along on your ride at all. That's enabling the bad. Living together was easy with my (then not yet) husband. We were both busy with work but made ourselves busy with exercise and a social life together too. You are young - be sure that this is not all a product of moving in together and realizing you don't have as much in common as you thought. This should be an awesome, fun, frolick-y time in life. You shouldn't be stuck at home staring at a lump while he stuffs his face with burgers and watches tv.

Take care of yourself even if you're doing it by yourself (i.e. you want to cook, make yourself dinner, you want to go to the gym, go) and be fully aware that there may be another person out there that will love you to bits with the same interests. Down the line you will probably get married to someone and have children. You'll need to focus on taking care of your REAL children, so don't marry someone who can't take care of themselves.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I can't sympathize more. I'm in almost the exact same position! Both my boyfriend and I had lost about 25lbs when we met, but we got very comfortable with each other as our relationship grew. I still had a ways to go before I hit my goal weight, but it all went out the window with fun dates and lots of shared food. I gained back the 25lbs that I lost, and he gained a whopping 50lbs.

About a month ago, I decided to recommit to my healthier lifestyle. I've lost almost 15lbs since then. I had hoped that my success would inspire him to get fit again, but all he does is talk about how much he wants to. Ultimately, I know that he has to make the decision to change, but it's hard to stand by while he treats his body like garbage and continues to pack on the pounds (he's acquired a FULL beer belly).

I think all I can do for now is to be ultra-supportive when he does make a healthy choice. Like puppies, most men do well with positive reinforcement. I also make an effort to cook healthy meals when he comes over and I don't keep any of my "splurge" foods in the house.

Good luck, I know how hard it is to support your own goals AND motivate someone else! Feel free to add me if you like.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would tell him that, if he's happy with his weight, he's happy with his weight. That you respect his choice. HOWEVER, that you are unhappy with your weight and need help achieving your goal. Focus on your needs for yourself. If you need him to stop bringing home fastfood for you, tell him. If you need him to go on walks with you, tell him. There are ways to match your goals-- my sister in law is crazy fit and my brother is not. She jogs while he rides his bike next to her.

Give him some time, see how he reacts to your goals, pleas for support, and results. If, ultimately, he wants to sit on the couch for the rest of his life, then you have different goals. Is that what you want? I would give him a chance and some time, but, ultimately, I couldn't be with someone who doesn't want to at least try to be healthy.
  • leericle
    leericle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This kind of support is better off coming from friends and family, not a romantic partner. Opposites attract, remember?