Grow Food

Options
Our veggies are rockin this year :) and our Talapia the size of my middle finger last year are the size of my size 8 shoes this year. Grow food folks. http://diyaquaculture.com/

Who else and where are you growing food?

Patsy
Lutz Fl

Replies

• AngelaMcAuleyGlenn
    AngelaMcAuleyGlenn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you have outdoor tanks?
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Do you have outdoor tanks?

Yes we do. The website my husband built to teach folks to raise there food.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    LOL. I have a glass of water on my windowsill that I put some leftover basel in and it rooted. I pinch off a few leaves when needed.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    LOL. I have a glass of water on my windowsill that I put some leftover basel in and it rooted. I pinch off a few leaves when needed.

I do the same with scallions and celery :)
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My scallion sprouted. My celery was doing awesome, but when I moved it from a pot of water to a dirted pot, it... well... it's dying.

I have seedlings started! I am going to grow them in big pots on my deck with cages around them. I have tomatoes, (an) acorn squash, zuchini, morning glory... my green beans never sprouted. :cry: Oh, and one cabbage seed sprouted!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I haven't incorporated fish because I don't have the freeze free facilities to do something like that... yet but the garden is coming along. I have early planted tomatoes in the garden (7 varieties, 24 plants) and peppers (5 varieties, 20 plants) that have not only survived two hard freezes now but are thriving in their walls o water and polytunnel covered raised beds.

The kohlrabi, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, squash, melons, various herbs, cucumbers, and additional peppers and tomatoes are all getting ready to go outside sometime this week.

I'm excited for the next three weeks to pass so I can get everything else in the ground and growing.

I have a variety of growing methods employed at the moment. I have 7 large, self made SIPs going this year for strawberries, herbs, celery and other things, two 30ft hugelkulture beds for squash and melons, two 30f rows of straw bale beds for cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes, and semi-traditional crop rows that are covered in plastic with drip hose installed for corn, beets, squash, beans, peas, kohlrabi and everything else I can't think of off the top of my head.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am embarrassed to say how much time I spend on Pinterest looking at food to make with tomatoes--I am dreaming of July! We have all of the usuals hardening off on our sun porch right now and they'll start getting their outdoor time next week if the weather holds up. We dug an extra 50 square feet for planting, which is a lot in an urban postage stamp yard. My summer resolution is to can more and freeze more.

Vegetable gardening is one of the most rewarding hobbies, especially for a weight-loser--Exercise and low-calorie, nutrient dense food! Saves a lot of $$$$ too.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    My scallion sprouted. My celery was doing awesome, but when I moved it from a pot of water to a dirted pot, it... well... it's dying.

I have seedlings started! I am going to grow them in big pots on my deck with cages around them. I have tomatoes, (an) acorn squash, zuchini, morning glory... my green beans never sprouted. :cry: Oh, and one cabbage seed sprouted!

Yea! Sounds like you are going to have a nice joyful table full. We did not start to many from seeds this year because of our very bad season last year. We feel the seeds have changed (GMO) and are not producing like in years past. So we only started our Romaine Lettuce from seed. We have a beautiful eggplant that should produce most of the Summer. Lots of tomato and blueberries. Enjoy and burn those calories in the garden some too. :)
  • renegadegeek
    renegadegeek Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Spent all day in my garden working on spring crops (and putting in fencing to keep my chickens out of my onions). Planning to add more beds next week. Can't wait for the harvest!
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    I haven't incorporated fish because I don't have the freeze free facilities to do something like that... yet but the garden is coming along. I have early planted tomatoes in the garden (7 varieties, 24 plants) and peppers (5 varieties, 20 plants) that have not only survived two hard freezes now but are thriving in their walls o water and polytunnel covered raised beds.

The kohlrabi, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, squash, melons, various herbs, cucumbers, and additional peppers and tomatoes are all getting ready to go outside sometime this week.

I'm excited for the next three weeks to pass so I can get everything else in the ground and growing.

I have a variety of growing methods employed at the moment. I have 7 large, self made SIPs going this year for strawberries, herbs, celery and other things, two 30ft hugelkulture beds for squash and melons, two 30f rows of straw bale beds for cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes, and semi-traditional crop rows that are covered in plastic with drip hose installed for corn, beets, squash, beans, peas, kohlrabi and everything else I can't think of off the top of my head.

WOW wish you lived next door I would trade fish for some of your peppers and broccoli ours are struggling and it is not even in the 90's here yet. Enjoy thanks for the post.
    Patsy
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    Spent all day in my garden working on spring crops (and putting in fencing to keep my chickens out of my onions). Planning to add more beds next week. Can't wait for the harvest!

That is a great calorie burn with healthy benifits :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's just now planting season where I am for anything not frost hardy. We bought an old farm last fall, but it hadn't actually been farmed for decades, so it's quite a job getting everything set up. We are just now about ready to plant, but within the next few years I hope to be getting at least 50% of our food from our land through gardening, wild plants, chickens, fishing and hunting.

I've always grown vegetables but until now it was just a few containers and one small raised garden bed.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I've got cold crops in, tomatoes & peppers growing and working on other stuff as well. We just have a small yard, but plant as much as we can and also freeze, dry & can whatever we are able to.
  • poeticpurl
    poeticpurl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for Cucs to start getting there Cuc on. I am growing garlic for the first time and it fun to watch them grow. Beans are going mad already and I look forward to throwing some in the freezer for this winter.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I spent a few hours in the garden yesterday. My friend lives in the suburbs and we have been growing vegetables for about 7 years. We have compost bins and maybe 700 sq feet of garden space. And yes, what a calorie burner.

This year I planted the cold weather crops about 3 weeks ago- cauliflower, brusell sprouts, swiss chard & collards. I've got some seeds in as well: carrots, beets, arugula, lettuce. It's been a really cold spring, so I may wait to put in the summer crops of eggplant, tomatoes.

At home on my balcony I grow containers of swiss chard, collards and herbs. I absolutely love it!

I credit the addition of fresh and sometimes new vegetables to my weight loss.

I'm in Chicago. Thanks for the thread!
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options

Yea you are off to a good start. I keep scallions in a small dish on my kitchen with a bit of water. No dirt. They are great for adding to any dish and well fresh is a plus.
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I grow tomatoes, lettuces, rhubarb, beans, raspberries, and a couple 'special' plants if you catch my drift ;)
    I love to garden, but sadly the soil in my backyard isn't the greatest and so most things don't grow.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I grow tomatoes, lettuces, rhubarb, beans, raspberries, and a couple 'special' plants if you catch my drift ;)
    I love to garden, but sadly the soil in my backyard isn't the greatest and so most things don't grow.

Compost! It will turn your soil around.