Beginner Advice

Options
If there are links to other posts that I have over looked, please share...

How long should I walk or cycle to start off with? 30 minutes? 1 mile? Whatever is comfortable? Should I set a weekly goal? How did you start?

Replies

• lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am starting with a mile. There is a road spur next to my house that is a perfect 1/2 mile. I walk to the end and back and its 1 mile. The first time, I walked the mile in 20 minutes. Two weeks later, I am walking it in 18 minutes. My goal is to be able to walk the mile in 15 minutes by June. Then I hope to begin jogging that mile.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I would focus on minutes versus miles right now. When I started getting back into running that's what I did. 30 minutes is my go-to time frame because most mornings that's all I have time for. I did what I could in 30 minutes, working my way up gradually.

If you're interested in eventually running, I highly recommend the Couch 2 5k program and app. I started out feeling very out of breath alternating walking with running every couple of minutes, and now I can run over 3 miles in less than 30 minutes without stopping. Very good program!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree, start with time for now and don't worry too much about speed or distance. And yes, start out with whatever's comfortable for you regarding both pace and time. If you can only do a 10-15 minute stroll at first, that's perfectly fine. You've got to start somewhere and with some practice and effort, soon enough you'll be going a lot longer and a lot faster.

I'd been active on and off (mostly off) when I started out 4+ years ago. Walking is my favorite exercise so I started there and would just go as long as I could. If memory serves, 15 minutes was my beginning time and I went fairly slow. I started in the spring and gradually increased my time and speed and incorporated more hilly routes until I was able to go about 6 miles at a 3-3.5mph pace by that fall. The only reason I remember the distance is because I signed up for a 10k walk that October and trained all year for it. It was great motivation!!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I say... start out with whatever you can do. Don't worry about time or anything else... just do it. Walk/cycle/whatever a little bit longer than you think you can do. In other words, not: "oh gosh I'm winded... time to stop", but "i'm getting a little tired.... 5 more minutes... or a to the next mile marker" or whatever. Push the envelope... but not so much that you overdo it. You want your body to be out of the comfort zone... but not overly stressed.

Good luck!
  • GoPhil04
    GoPhil04 Posts: 93
    Options
    Keep the measurment you use to gauge progress the same, and at the end of the day as long as adherence is there, you will be fine. Walking and running are only one part of the equation.... For accelerated results incorporate strength training and the body composition goals will be attained at a faster pace.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Start with minutes over miles -- you will probably benefit more from volume than intensity when you are very very unfit.
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    you are your own goal setter. If you want to go for miles, then go for miles, if you want to go for minutes, then go for minutes. Just meet your goal that you set for yourself. As the time goes on, set new goals, or switch it up.

Best programs for running is the C25K.