Motivation to run.

Options
Hey guys. I want some advice on how to keep motivated. I started to run 9 days ago. Well today was day 9 of me running. I run on the days I am doing the 30 day squat challange. So 3 days running, one day off. I run for only 30 minutes and in those 30 minutes I run down 300 calories (Or at least that is what the treadmill is saying). Normally I was excited to go run, but this morning I didn't want to get out of bed and run. When I started to run I felt sick and I had cold swear and wasn't happy at all. I pushed myself through, but it was torture for me. As I had 100 calories and around 12 minutes left I immediately felt happy and that it was almost over. Tomorrow I am again running and I am not looking forward to it. How can I keep myself motivated? I never did any exercise before, is my body tired? I don't want to miss a day, because then I would just feel horrible.

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    The novelty has worn off, and that's fine. Put some music you really like on your running playlist and see if that will get you a little more pumped pre-run. Try running outside; I dread running on the treadmill, but I look forward to running outside on my favorite routes. And remind yourself that you'll feel better once it's done than you will if you don't do it at all. :)
  • Sauleeh
    Sauleeh Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I already listen to music and I just felt blah. I don't want to stop running because I want to lose the weight off but I feel horrible after today. It's only 30minutes. Why am I being so stupid?
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Why do you use just a treadmill? Do you have a safe place that you could run outside and get some variety?

Treadmill running makes me want to gag. I listen to music, watch TV, watch other people in the gym, and still have to force myself to stay on the treadmill and finish my workout. I have a much better time, and am far more motivated, when I go outside and run in the park, on a trail, with my running group, anything but that treadmill.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Yeah, dreadmills suck. Try running outside, much better. Also, it's completely normal to have runs that just suck. I run half marathons now, and there's still days that a 30 min run turns into mostly walking because I just don't want to run that day. Chalk it up to life and experience, and try again tomorrow. But seriously, try running outdoors.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, try Zombies, Run! It's a real-life running game that you listen to along with your music. You have to run to complete missions and collect items to bring back to base. The phone tracks you with the GPS if you're outdoors, or accelerometer if you're on a treadmill. I've heard that the story gets quite riveting and that people run in the middle of the night when new episodes come out because they want to find out what happens next. Seems like a good way to stay motivated.
  • Sauleeh
    Options
    I am not brave enough yet to run outside. Too many people that could recognize me and I don't want it. Also I don't have the heart rate watch thing to see how many calories I've lost. They are super expensive, so without it I don't know how much around I am losing. It might be more effective for me to run on the treadmill than outside.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight lift weights 3-4 days a week and run less. Incorporate intervals to your runs as well which will improve strength and aid body recomp.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I am not brave enough yet to run outside. Too many people that could recognize me and I don't want it. Also I don't have the heart rate watch thing to see how many calories I've lost. They are super expensive, so without it I don't know how much around I am losing. It might be more effective for me to run on the treadmill than outside.
    You can get good Polar HRM's for under $50.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I want some advice on how to keep motivated. I started to run 9 days ago. Well today was day 9 of me running. I run on the days I am doing the 30 day squat challange. So 3 days running, one day off. I run for only 30 minutes and in those 30 minutes I run down 300 calories (Or at least that is what the treadmill is saying). Normally I was excited to go run, but this morning I didn't want to get out of bed and run. When I started to run I felt sick and I had cold swear and wasn't happy at all. I pushed myself through, but it was torture for me. As I had 100 calories and around 12 minutes left I immediately felt happy and that it was almost over. Tomorrow I am again running and I am not looking forward to it. How can I keep myself motivated? I never did any exercise before, is my body tired? I don't want to miss a day, because then I would just feel horrible.

If you only started running 9 days ago, you are be doing too much, too fast, tiring your body out and not allowing your muscles to rest and heal.

Do you run the entire 30 minutes (no walk breaks)? At what speed?
    At this point (9 days in), you should be running about 1-2 minutes, then walking for a bit. You should be able to speak a short sentence while running. If you can't, you need to slow down.
    Also, three days in a row may be too much without a rest day. You may need to play around with your schedule. I've been running for over a year now and still haven't run 2 days in a row; I try for every second day.

Check out the C25K schedule. It's easily found online and is a safe, maintainable method of learning to run.

Hang in there. You can become a runner if that's what you want. But you've got to start slower.

ETA: if you start running outdoors (highly recommended), get good shoes first. The pavement is hard on your legs. Take an old pair of shoes to a Running store and have them fit you with a proper pair of shoes.
    Also, whatever you are running on the treadmill will decrease when you go outside. It's a different way of running. Don't be discouraged because you're legs will adjust within a few weeks and you'll be back to where you were. There's a set of muscles that you don't develop when you're on the treadmill (the ones that propel you forward).
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    unlike others, i am a treadmill fan, bcuz running outside solo can be dangerous.

My trick to get my workout finished and out the way is when im headed home from work, i put my playlist on BLAST to pump me up..so i won't feel like i HAVE TO RUN..makes me feel like i WANT TO RUN.

Then when i get on my good ole treadmill, i will jog the first lap for a warm up, then when the next song comes on my playlist, i will run according to the beat of the song, then when the song has a "course" i would spint thru it until it goes to the regular beat..thats when i will jog it. makes the time go by faster and sometimes i get in more miles then intended :)

running is not for everyone...
  • Sauleeh
    Options

If you only started running 9 days ago, you are be doing too much, too fast, tiring your body out and not allowing your muscles to rest and heal.

Do you run the entire 30 minutes (no walk breaks)? At what speed?
    At this point (9 days in), you should be running about 1-2 minutes, then walking for a bit. You should be able to speak a short sentence while running. If you can't, you need to slow down.
    Also, three days in a row may be too much without a rest day. You may need to play around with your schedule. I've been running for over a year now and still haven't run 2 days in a row; I try for every second day.

Check out the C25K schedule. It's easily found online and is a safe, maintainable method of learning to run.

Hang in there. You can become a runner if that's what you want. But you've got to start slower.

ETA: if you start running outdoors (highly recommended), get good shoes first. The pavement is hard on your legs. Take an old pair of shoes to a Running store and have them fit you with a proper pair of shoes.
    Also, whatever you are running on the treadmill will decrease when you go outside. It's a different way of running. Don't be discouraged because you're legs will adjust within a few weeks and you'll be back to where you were. There's a set of muscles that you don't develop when you're on the treadmill (the ones that propel you forward).

I start up with a walk for about a minute, then go onto speed/setting 4 which is a fast walk. Then when I increase the speed to 6/6.5 and run for about a minute or two. Then I walk for about two minutes. This is what I do for the 30minutes.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You should not run consecutive days as a new runner. I've been running for 2 years and still very rarely run two days in a row. You will get injured and have to stop.

Try outside.

The treadmill calorie burns are usually inaccurate anyway. If you have a smart phone try an app like map my run to give you cal burn estimates. Also use an app like couch to 5k to safely increase your running.

Outdoors is much more pleasant and interesting than the hiring treadmill. No one cares if you are running, only you.

Plus, it trains you to run without the help of a treadmill!!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner. I don't care.

I hate(d) running - I'm 36 years old and would. not. run. ever.

In Feb I wanted to lose a few extra pounds before my goal date of 3/1 (I was a bridesmaid in my brother's wedding.)

so I just did it. I had read somewhere that intervals were better and decided that would work for me.

You are going much faster than I am! I am getting better at running and learning to enjoy it some because it challenges me.

I do incline/flat intervals on a 1/1 - 2 minutes incline, 2 minutes flat. I start at a 3.0 clip for 5 minutes and then was doing flat at a 4.0.

I had shin splints mad in the beginning, too.

Now I'm at 2/36 but my goal is 2/30. And I'm slowwwwly getting faster on the flat sections. I don't think you are supposed to run on the incline. Plus it gives me a break to take a sip of water.

This whole story is to say "don't give up!" and I mean that - from a girl who hate(d) running.

I think you burn about 100calories a mile.

Want to be my run pal?? I run at the gym on the treadmill and rarely outside. It's easier on my legs, climate controlled, and I can measure the distance easier. I am on a Tu/Th schedule with CHX on MWF.

ETA: My current clip is 3.0 incline/4.0 flat--increasing slowly depending on how I feel that day. 5.0 is becoming easier!! Only once have I done 6.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I start up with a walk for about a minute, then go onto speed/setting 4 which is a fast walk. Then when I increase the speed to 6/6.5 and run for about a minute or two. Then I walk for about two minutes. This is what I do for the 30minutes.

Doing walk/run intervals are good. Your running speed is a bit high, I think. It's an individual thing but 6/6.5 miles/hr is fast running for a beginner. Try slowing down to 4.5/5 miles/hr. (slower if you need to). You can actually run slower than you walk...it's possible to do, so if you need to do that, so be it. You'll pick up speed as you get stronger.

Here is one version of C25K, Weeks 2 & 3 to help you determine your run/walk intervals and the amount of increase to work towards:

Week 2; Day 1: Brisk five minute warmup walk, then do six (6) repetitions of the following: 90 seconds of jogging, 2 minutes of walking
    Week 2, Day 2: Brisk five minute warmup walk, then do six (6) repetitions of the following: 90 seconds of jogging, 2 minutes of walking
    Week 2; Day 3: Brisk five minute warmup walk, then do six (6) repetitions of the following: 90 seconds of jogging, 2 minutes of walking

Week 3; Day 1: Brisk five minute warmup walk, then do two (2) repetitions of the following: 90 seconds of jogging, 90 seconds of walking, 3 minutes of jogging, 3 minutes of walking
    Week 3; Day 2: Brisk five minute warmup walk, then do two (2) repetitions of the following: 90 seconds of jogging, 90 seconds of walking, 3 minutes of jogging, 3 minutes of walking
    Week 3; Day 3: Brisk five minute warmup walk, then do two (2) repetitions of the following: 90 seconds of jogging, 90 seconds of walking, 3 minutes of jogging, 3 minutes of walking
  • Forever4me
    Forever4me Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you're relatively new to exercise, why do you feel like you have to run? Lots of you tube videos, workout DVDs that are free/cheap, or classes at the gym or ellipticals, bikes, weights etc. There are so many options to burn calories...do something you like as you ease into exercise. I started with cardio kickboxing. LOVE IT!! Makes me feel strong/empowered and I truly think it's FUN! Find your thing, then maybe ease into running. After I was in better shape, I started with C25K app, and now I'm running 6 miles at a time. Maybe not be a lot to some, for a girl that never ran more than a mile or 2 in her first 36 years of life, that is a huge accomplishment, and I actually enjoy it now. Finding something you are going to stick with is most important!