Pear shape.... !!!

Options
2013sk
2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
Hey my lovely MFP's!!!!

Now wondering if you can help.... I am a typical pear, small on the top but bigger on the bottom.

Curvy hips, big bum, and some thighs on me (Strong thighs I would say)!

Now I have been using the cross trainer, the glider machine (Sorry not sure of the name) and the stair climber... Which has resulted in me building muscle on my thighs, which don't get me wrong is good, but I would like them to be a bit slimmer as sometimes I see them in the mirror and I think.... Ermmm they need slimming down a bit...!!

Now wondering if you guys can help me ....

What things can I do or exercise machines can I use to have slimmer thighs?

Now some people have recommended running... But to be honest I am not the best runner in the world.

Someone has also mentioned me joining pilates to stretch & lean out the muscle?

Thanks guys.... Enjoy your day xxx

Replies

• MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hey my lovely MFP's!!!!

Now wondering if you can help.... I am a typical pear, small on the top but bigger on the bottom.

Curvy hips, big bum, and some thighs on me (Strong thighs I would say)!

Now I have been using the cross trainer, the glider machine (Sorry not sure of the name) and the stair climber... Which has resulted in me building muscle on my thighs, which don't get me wrong is good, but I would like them to be a bit slimmer as sometimes I see them in the mirror and I think.... Ermmm they need slimming down a bit...!!

Now wondering if you guys can help me ....

What things can I do or exercise machines can I use to have slimmer thighs?

Now some people have recommended running... But to be honest I am not the best runner in the world.

Someone has also mentioned me joining pilates to stretch & lean out the muscle?

Thanks guys.... Enjoy your day xxx

You can't spot reduce - unfortunately and 'stretching and & leaning out the muscles' is not really possible either as they are attached to bones and joints and therefore you would also have to lengthen your bones...

I would suggest to start a lifting program using compound lifts i.e, Squats increasing the weights (i.e. stronglifts)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Oh I thought you could stretch & lean out the muscles... : (

Yes I think I should start squatting too!! : )
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My legs are still by no means "lean" but running and yoga have helped me lose 2" off my thighs and hips. I hated running always, I was bad at it, and now I don't mind it and can do 3 miles. Fitness blender.com has a couple nice leg-focused workout videos as well. I just started to seriously strength train, so we'll see how at goes.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    pilates/yoga will help with overall tone

as i've lost weight i can definetly now see and feel my core - i do pilates

but: you cannot spot reduce
    should should add some resistance/bodyweight/strength training to your schedule

if you don't like running - don't run - i don't

find something you like, that challenges you and that you'll stick to - have fun
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    There are two ways about it: lose weight in general, and some of it will eventually come off from your thighs, and when you are at your goal weight use muscle building exercise, especially for your shoulders and arms, it will make you look more balanced if you add some substance to your upper half.
  • MissB46
    Options
    There are two ways about it: lose weight in general, and some of it will eventually come off from your thighs, and when you are at your goal weight use muscle building exercise, especially for your shoulders and arms, it will make you look more balanced if you add some substance to your upper half.

The problem with that is that for a woman it is not that easy to put on any sort of 'bulk' as we simply don't have the hormones, I have been training with kettlebells for a few years now and I am doing stronglifts and getting pretty heavy on stronglifts and kettlebells however my upper body is by no means bulky, I can see definition in the shoulders and triceps and no more flabby arms but I definitely have no 'bulk' to speak off - I would class myself as a 'pear-shape'
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not building muscle in your thighs. You may be experiencing water retention in the muscle, but that's it.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options

This. I finally started doing some resistance training, and no longer look quite so pear shaped. I am actually liking how my shoulders look for the first time in my life!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You get slimmer thighs by losing weight.

The more resistance training you do on your leg muscles, the more shapely and firm they will be as you lose weight. If you just keep doing cardio your legs will get smaller but will have a looser, jigglier, fattier look.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    At some point, after the fat is gone - you have to learn to love your shape. We can never change some things. Be the best that YOU can be. Be healthy.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

The problem with that is that for a woman it is not that easy to put on any sort of 'bulk' as we simply don't have the hormones, I have been training with kettlebells for a few years now and I am doing stronglifts and getting pretty heavy on stronglifts and kettlebells however my upper body is by no means bulky, I can see definition in the shoulders and triceps and no more flabby arms but I definitely have no 'bulk' to speak off - I would class myself as a 'pear-shape'

I know what you're saying, but the "Shape" of rounded shoulders and defined arms balances the rounded shape in the bottom - at least I find athletic pear more attractive, since the roundness in the bottom contributes to that whole athletic vibe complementing the upper body rather than distracting from it.
  • MissB46
    Options

I know what you're saying, but the "Shape" of rounded shoulders and defined arms balances the rounded shape in the bottom - at least I find athletic pear more attractive, since the roundness in the bottom contributes to that whole athletic vibe complementing the upper body rather than distracting from it.

Yep I agree, and if I 'flex' there is definitely quite a bit of muscle going on